The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology SCLY1 Family & Households 13th May 2013.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jessie7003
I DREAD childhood and demography :frown: Demography doesn't seem easy to evaluate at all :frown:

what the heck... i swear these are the two most easiest topics.. i HATE family diversity..too many theorists to remember
AS students, what do you think will come up?
Original post by bambamx
guys, what is domestic division of labour? i know its about the symmetrical family and stuff but what does domestic division of labour actually mean? in case it comes up as a 2 marks question

It means how responsibilities and obligations are divided the household. For example, Bott identified two types of roles within the family...explain what they are and what functionalists such as parsons identified them as..Instrumental and expressive.. include AO2 marks by stating critical theorists such as anne oakley and how she said that the division of labour is due to sex-typing... write about dunnes gender script theory that people's roles are established by the traditional socialization tht they face during childhood etc
could someone give me a good structure for the 33 mark question?
i can get around 20 marks when practicing but i want to get more.
Original post by bambamx
no I'm an AS student but i did unit 2 in jan and i'm doing unit 1 first time around now. what about you? what sociologists would you include in a question about changing family types?

I'm retaking my Unit 1 because I didn't do so well. What kind if questions came up for the Research and Methods for the January 2013? Um, Changing family patterns? I would put in, Fletcher, Allan and Crow, Hochschild, and then talk about what the New Right, Feminist etc views as a whole. I love Family Patterns because it all it basically is the reasons for why Divorce has changed and its five reasons, also the whole Cohabitation and stuff. Its a really straight forward topic, I wouldnt mind if this came up.
Reply 285
What would you put In a divorce essay apart from the acts and reasons etc?
Original post by TheWiseChick
what the heck... i swear these are the two most easiest topics.. i HATE family diversity..too many theorists to remember

I LOVE family diversity hahaha! Last year I got a C in this paper and the only reason I did was because effects of an aging population came up as a short question and I hadn't revised demography at all so lost 6 marks and i was 6 marks off an A :frown: 2 marks of a B, gutted!
Original post by Jessie7003
I LOVE family diversity hahaha! Last year I got a C in this paper and the only reason I did was because effects of an aging population came up as a short question and I hadn't revised demography at all so lost 6 marks and i was 6 marks off an A :frown: 2 marks of a B, gutted!

oh wow i got a C aswell...... i just really hope i get an A this time im a retake student aswell and wont get into uni without an A in sociology! :L When im revising i know everything in the exam i forget all the theorists... but i hope for the 24 markers.. the questions are broad... good luk :smile:
Original post by TheWiseChick
oh wow i got a C aswell...... i just really hope i get an A this time im a retake student aswell and wont get into uni without an A in sociology! :L When im revising i know everything in the exam i forget all the theorists... but i hope for the 24 markers.. the questions are broad... good luk :smile:

I'm the same, always seem to go blank in exams! Good luck to you too :smile:
Original post by imthe12
What would you put In a divorce essay apart from the acts and reasons etc?

The changing patterns of divorce over the years, big increase since the 1960s, 40% of marriages now end in divorce 70% of divorces come from women (used to be mainly men).

What theorists think of the rising divorce rates, New Right totally against it, believe in nuclear family as the true family type, feminists say women are more aware of the oppression they face and can speak out against it etc :smile:
Reply 290
hi i know this sounds stupid but what would you put in a conclusion? i say this because the way i structure my essays is meant to be A B A B, which means you attempt to criticise your argument in the next paragraph so what do you put?!
Reply 291
I really hope that a 24 marker on Family Diversity comes up tomorrow, I wouldn't mind if it was one of the small questions. But then again it's already come up twice so it's pushing it if it comes up again.

I don't mind if anything else comes up at all, i'm prepared for the rest of the other questions =]
what do you think will be the 24 marker tomorrow?
Original post by cj_
hi i know this sounds stupid but what would you put in a conclusion? i say this because the way i structure my essays is meant to be A B A B, which means you attempt to criticise your argument in the next paragraph so what do you put?!

I thought that you just basically just briefly go over again the key points you had mentioned in the whole of the essay as a summary? but I could be wrong :L
Reply 294
Are childhood and couples the two 24 markers people think will come up? I really hope so, I really hate social policy and family diversity :frown:
Reply 295
Well I'm screwed if Childhood is a 24 marker :ahee:
Reply 296
Original post by koysorahmed7
No you just have to make sure you say that the trend is that e.g birth rates have decreased or death rate decreased

are you sure?
you dont have to know the exact numbers...just say britain is an ageing population...the death rate has increased and the birth rate has increased...

thats it?
Original post by Dancerkatie
I have mine at 12 :s-smilie: as i have a clash with another exam

At 12?! :redface:
I have it at 2pm.. Isn't there any possible way the people that are sitting it at 12:00/12:30 can post questions that came up?
Reply 298
Original post by hasan-1-
At 12?! :redface:
I have it at 2pm.. Isn't there any possible way the people that are sitting it at 12:00/12:30 can post questions that came up?

Well exam discussion isn't allowed until well after the exam so nopes :yy:
Reply 299
I have 2 Philosophy exams and a Maths exam tomorrow so I've barely revised Sociology as much as I would've liked and I really need an A. In class we weren't really taught any sociologists either but a few mentioned ring a bell... so worried, I'm normally overstressed for 1 exam, let alone 4 :frown:

Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending