The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by constantmeowage
:tongue: Are you all quite disciplined or is it just everywhere? :tongue:

What do you mean?!:tongue:

Elucidate woman :mmm:
Reply 921
Question: since you're all wannabe polyglots, how much dabbling do you allow yourself? :P If you included dabbled languages, how many languages would you now be able to speak? XD

That would include Japanese, Spanish, Catalan (chose to write my IB Extended Essay about Catalan nationalism only to realise that most of the resources I want were only in Catalan, bummer), English, French, Portuguese, German, Italian, Mandarin, Cantonese...
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Anything/everything posed by thatittootoo in the last 24 hours!

Lool I can't be doing too bad then :cool:
Ich glaube, dass 'das' was the appropriate one for me to use earlier.

In Dutch it's also just one word, like in English, so I can't use my knowledge of Dutch when in doubt about dass/das unfortunately :frown: Es ist schade!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actively try not to dabble, because otherwise I know I would never stick at anything.

However, if we include everything I've ever looked at, I'd be fluent in German, Latin, Classical Greek, British Sign Language, Welsh, Czech and Danish. Roughly in that order.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
What do you mean?!:tongue:

Elucidate woman :mmm:

:biggrin: how good are you at sticking with a language for more than a week? :P
Reply 925
I actively try not to dabble, because otherwise I know I would never stick at anything.

However, if we include everything I've ever looked at, I'd be fluent in German, Latin, Classical Greek, British Sign Language, Welsh, Czech and Danish. Roughly in that order.

I can never stick at anything. :frown: How do you stop yourself from dabbling and how do you keep sticking at things?
:biggrin: how good are you at sticking with a language for more than a week? :P

Depends if I'm busy... Italian for example, I learnt all the basics in a few days, then once I learnt my vocab would need a lot, I stopped :rofl:

So like, I get to grips with grammar, then realise vocab crazes me.
Original post by Vionar
I can never stick at anything. :frown: How do you stop yourself from dabbling and how do you keep sticking at things?

Every time you pick up a language book for another language, you put it straight back down!

I have successfully ignored all my Danish, Czech and Greek books for more than two years now!
Reply 928
Every time you pick up a language book for another language, you put it straight back down!

I have successfully ignored all my Danish, Czech and Greek books for more than two years now!

I don't have books, I mainly use the internet!

Wow, that's quite an achievement!
Original post by Vionar
I don't have books, I mainly use the internet!

Wow, that's quite an achievement!

Nah, I'm lazy, really!
Nah, I'm lazy, really!

Ich halte Sie nicht für faul! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 931
Nah, I'm lazy, really!

That doesn't sound too far away from me!

Don't forget Dutch! You were able to make sense of that nursery rhyme remember! ;D

And why is French missing? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thatitootoo
Don't forget Dutch! You were able to make sense of that nursery rhyme remember! ;D

And why is French missing? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, but I haven't even tried to learn that. That doesn't count as dabbling. That's just looking at something in front of me.:tongue:

And because I forgot about the existence of French.
Ah, but I haven't even tried to learn that. That doesn't count as dabbling. That's just looking at something in front of me.:tongue:

And because I forgot about the existence of French.

Hmm trueee ^^

Now that's an easy thing to do :tongue:

Are you planning on dabbling in Welsh anytime soon? =p

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thatitootoo
Hmm trueee ^^

Now that's an easy thing to do :tongue:

Are you planning on dabbling in Welsh anytime soon? =p

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going to take German, French and Welsh if I manage to start my Open University degree this year.
I'm going to take German, French and Welsh if I manage to start my Open University degree this year.

:awesome:

Pryd rwyt ti'n dysgu yng Nghymraeg, rydyn ni'n gallu yn siarad

omg, well at least you won't be getting any of those mixed up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:awesome:

Pryd rwyt ti'n dysgu yng Nghymraeg, rydyn ni'n gallu yn siarad

A fi!
A fi!

Ydw! :biggrin: three more days... Welsh :afraid:

Latest

Trending

Trending