The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amanbabbar./
Heeeyy!
I did unit one in January on women and suffrage and unit 2 is on the 14th and I'm doing Italy and Germany!

Goodluck to everyone, though.

I do Italy and Germany too! How's revision going? :smile:
Reply 41
Hey I'm sitting the Option D: Russia in revolution and Stalins Russia (e,g 1881-1953) on Tuesday 14th. And i'm totally stumped on what to revise cause, there's so much which could come up!
Does anyone have any predictions which are likely to come up, and does anyone know what came up in January this year? :/
Original post by Chlo55
Hey I'm sitting the Option D: Russia in revolution and Stalins Russia (e,g 1881-1953) on Tuesday 14th. And i'm totally stumped on what to revise cause, there's so much which could come up!
Does anyone have any predictions which are likely to come up, and does anyone know what came up in January this year? :/

For Russia

Original post by NaomiASuts
These are the Key Topics for Russia in Revolution
Repression up to 1905- Russification and pogroms, Land Captains, Statue of State Security, Zemstevs,Censorship, Okhrana and Universities
The opposition up to 1905- The social democrats and the 1903 split, Social revolutionaries and the split between anarchists and revolutionaries, the liberals
Economic reform up to 1905- Bunge to 82 and Vyshnegradsky to 87- introduction of the peasent lank bank, foreign loans, reduction in peasent taxes
Sergei Witte- Sucesses- Industrial growth and foreign investment, growth of cities, the trans Siberian railway Failures- living conditions and relatively small proletariat, tax and ignorance of the peasents and famine, tariffs and debt from loans and how far Russia was behind other already industrialised countries.
Causes of the 1905 revolution Bloody Sunday massacre, the Russo Japanese war, Witte and Peasent unrest, proletariat and the bourgeoise want for poltical power
Why the 1905 revoltuion failed- October manestfesto and isolation of workers, loyalty of e army, loyalty of the elite and his supporters e.g Black Hundreds, Weaknesses of the oppostion
Stolypin and Economic reform- Sucesses- Creation of Kulaks and wager on the strong, Improved agrarian growth, Improvement of the Mirs and PLB, failures- conservatism of the peasents, assassination in 1911, ignorance and worsening condition of the workers
Repression and the Dumas- Stolypins necktie and Marshall law, censorship, the fundamental laws, the electoral law of 1907 and the 3rd/4th Duma, the Vyborg appeal and the 1st and 2nd Duma
Causes of the 1917 Feb revolution- poltical and economic impact of WW1, the Tsar, Tsarina and Rasputin, Lack of army loyalty, Lack of Elite support
Causes of the 1917 October revolution and why the Bolsheviks consolidated power- June offensive, nature of PG, Korlinov Affaire and Kerensky, Lenin and his leadership, Trotsky's organisation. (It is also important to note the importance of the July Days)
Consolidation of power- weaknesses of the whites/oppostion, Lenin's leadership, the treaty of bresk litvosk, Trostky's military brilliance, repression and brutality of the reds.

If you look over the past papers you will see patterns of the type of questions they ask
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Chlo55

January's Paper had
- Reasons for Tsarist maintenance of rule 1881-1914
- Reasons for Bolshevik maintenance of rule after October Revolution
- Purges/Culture of 1930s
- Reasons for Soviet Victory in the Second World War

As for predictions, I'm not quite sure. I suspect the Plans and possibly the Struggle for Power in the Stalin section, and the October or February Revolution, and either the 1905 Revolution or economy/politics of the period for the 1881-1924 section.
Anyone else really scared? :frown:
Reply 45
Hey I sat this exam last year. I got an A overall with 100% in UNIT 1 - don't worry about it, I was just as shocked as you guys probably are. Honestly, I used to get E's and D's (even a U now and again) in our practice papers at college. I just totally stepped up for the exam, I memorised precise dates and events. I think PRECISION is the key for those aiming for a high grade. It takes a lot, but if you're determined you can do it. I for example, was aware of not only the year in which an event occurred for example, but also the month. Also try your best to write sophisticatedly, not necessarily pompously but with a good use of vocabulary :smile: But as it is History, my main advise is precision (as I've mentioned a few too many times now!) Speaking of which, I should be revising for my A2 exam now. Eeeeeek :bricks: All the best to those sitting this exam, truly wish you the best. I know how hard it is, I found it incredibly hard last year! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by justanotherindigo
I do Italy and Germany too! How's revision going? :smile:

Wooooh :biggrin:
Oh god, don't even ask. Italy, I find really tedious, I just don't find the rise of Fascism interesting, whereas Germany and Hitler, is really interesting, but revision is going okay, hbyous? :smile:
Original post by Lucy96
Anyone else really scared? :frown:

Yes!! I am so scared. I got an A in unit one and I am aiming for another A in unit two but I'm not sure if I will even pass unit 2 :|
Reply 48
I am doing Stalin's Russia and the USA in Asia 1950- 1973. I hate this exam!! I prefer Unit 2. There is so much to cover :angry:
a few random timelines for the Henry V111 unit
Original post by Amanbabbar./
Wooooh :biggrin:
Oh god, don't even ask. Italy, I find really tedious, I just don't find the rise of Fascism interesting, whereas Germany and Hitler, is really interesting, but revision is going okay, hbyous? :smile:

Oh right, I do the unification of both countries lol :smile: So I guess we are doing different hings in that respect!
Reply 51
I'm doing Stalin's Russia and Equality in the USA D:

Also, say there's a question along the lines of 'How far was the Federal Gov. the main reason for the successes of the Civil Rights Movement...' , would you be focusing your factors on the Fed. Gov. only or can you bring in other factors such as peaceful protest in?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by justanotherindigo
Oh right, I do the unification of both countries lol :smile: So I guess we are doing different hings in that respect!

Oh well still, goodluck aha
Reply 53
Original post by sasunerd
I'm doing Stalin's Russia and Equality in the USA D:

Also, say there's a question along the lines of 'How far was the Federal Gov. the main reason for the successes of the Civil Rights Movement...' , would you be focusing your factors on the Fed. Gov. only or can you bring in other factors such as peaceful protest in?

I'm doing the same! God help us!! D:

For that q, I'd do seperate paragraphs for factors for success of the movement - MLK and peaceful protest, the NAACP and legal chance, maybe a bit on black power, and fed. gov., arranged in order of most to least importance.

Any strong feelings towards what this year's questions might be?
Reply 54
Original post by Hlyono
I'm doing the same! God help us!! D:

For that q, I'd do seperate paragraphs for factors for success of the movement - MLK and peaceful protest, the NAACP and legal chance, maybe a bit on black power, and fed. gov., arranged in order of most to least importance.

Any strong feelings towards what this year's questions might be?

Gosh, good luck to you!

That makes more sense, thanks. :biggrin: Just that I have a problem with differentiating multi factor questions to singular ones, daaaamn.

And my teacher was talking about how they are less likely to ask about Lend Lease, therefore how they became a superpower might not be a question. He also said to make sure you have a firm grasp on the progress of Black Americans during the years 1945 to 1955; the WWII; legal cases and so forth. There's just so much to learn! D':
Reply 55
Gosh, good luck to you!

That makes more sense, thanks. :biggrin: Just that I have a problem with differentiating multi factor questions to singular ones, daaaamn.

And my teacher was talking about how they are less likely to ask about Lend Lease, therefore how they became a superpower might not be a question. He also said to make sure you have a firm grasp on the progress of Black Americans during the years 1945 to 1955; the WWII; legal cases and so forth. There's just so much to learn! D':

Good luck to you too :smile: Only two more days to go!

I prefer the multi-factor ones to the success/failure ones :tongue: I'm thinking Five-Year-Plans for Stalin definitely, but really no idea about civil rights. Yes! I haven't even got all of the content down yet. They always ask about 44-55 and it's my least favourite section of the course. I hope we get something about the presidents.
Reply 56
Original post by Hlyono
Good luck to you too :smile: Only two more days to go!

I prefer the multi-factor ones to the success/failure ones :tongue: I'm thinking Five-Year-Plans for Stalin definitely, but really no idea about civil rights. Yes! I haven't even got all of the content down yet. They always ask about 44-55 and it's my least favourite section of the course. I hope we get something about the presidents.

I prefer multi factor ones too! There's just so many contradictions in a success or failure question.

The FYPs, goodness, the FYPs. Do you think it's gonna be about the causes or the consequences? Now that I think about it, I bet they'd do a consequences question cause it's damn harder. :frown:
Reply 57
I prefer multi factor ones too! There's just so many contradictions in a success or failure question.

The FYPs, goodness, the FYPs. Do you think it's gonna be about the causes or the consequences? Now that I think about it, I bet they'd do a consequences question cause it's damn harder. :frown:

Dream civil rights question would be a factors of success 55 - 68. In an ideal world, what would be on an exam for you?

I was thinking causes, but I'm not 100%. I'm thinking it might be something like 'What role did [xyz] play in Stalin instigating the first Five-Year-Plan?' I'm sure it'll be fine. Maybe know some stats on industrialisation too, because that's been quite rare as far as I can tell.
Reply 58
I'm doing History D1 and D2 of 6HI01/D - A World Divided: Communism and Democracy in the Twentieth Century on Tuesday 14th! Bricking it, so anybody got any tips? There's just so much to revise!
Reply 59
Original post by ArtisticFlair
Is anyone doing Luther and witches for Unit 1?!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I'm doing Luther and witches! We seem to be the only ones, how you finding revision?

Latest

Trending

Trending