The Student Room Group

My friend shows me how truly shallow girls are!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Surprise surprise, girls are also shallow. :eek:
Original post by Maid Marian
I'm sick of hearing how "shallow" girls apparently are.

On the whole, boys are MUCH more shallow than girls.

I think the problem here is that your generalising. Not all boys are 'shallow' though some are. Not all girls are 'shallow' though, again, some are. Its not about gender, its about the person. Don't judge us as a whole.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S6500
Reply 22

A bit hypocritical don't you think?
Reply 23
Original post by thatrollingstone
Girls who metaphorically drop to their knees in the presence of a good looking guy are inferior and not worth anybody's time.

In fact, it is a rare occurrence that I give very good looking girls (especially those who are aware of that fact through their makeup and the way they dress) a second look.

same, i just give them a very long first look:cool:
Original post by Danz123
I think more people are going on about how shallow girls are these days (especially on TSR) because it's already been complained about for a while now that guys only care about looks. This a very typical stereotype, and true for some guys. However, when those same girls that complain about how shallow a guy is, turn around and drool over another guy/like him just for his looks, then it strikes alot of people as hypocritical.

The real truth is that when anyone comes across someone new, looks WILL factor into their judgement. This is less of an issue once you get to know them, but all you really have to go on with first impressions (especially if you haven't talked to them) is looks.

One example of hypocrisy above. This post would have been good IF the user had said boys and girls are JUST as shallow as each other, BUT she essentially does the same thing the OP does.

Um, why would I have said that? It's untrue. The average boy is shallower than the average girl.

Original post by GAB
I think the problem here is that your generalising. Not all boys are 'shallow' though some are. Not all girls are 'shallow' though, again, some are. Its not about gender, its about the person. Don't judge us as a whole.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S6500

Certainly not all boys are shallow (though I have yet to meet any that aren't), but the vast majority are.
Tell me, would you go out with a really ugly girl? The answer, for the VAST majority of boys, is no. Boys want a pretty girl on their arm.
Girls, on the other hand, are far more likely and willing to overlook a boy's looks for his personality. Boys are visual creatures, girls are less so.

Original post by Michaelj
A bit hypocritical don't you think?

How is it?
Loads of the boys I've fancied haven't been the best looking.
Reply 25
Um, why would I have said that? It's untrue. The average boy is shallower than the average girl.

Certainly not all boys are shallow (though I have yet to meet any that aren't), but the vast majority are.
Tell me, would you go out with a really ugly girl? The answer, for the VAST majority of boys, is no. Boys want a pretty girl on their arm.
Girls, on the other hand, are far more likely and willing to overlook a boy's looks for his personality. Boys are visual creatures, girls are less so.

How is it?

Hypocritical as in "Women aren't shallow!.... Men are though".

Every person is different. The person doesn't have to be stunning to be an attraction. I've fancied average people also.

The fact you're defending your statement so vigorously is showing that you definitely have a sexist thing going on.

If there was a hot guy and a average guy with the same personality and traits etc, who would you choose? If you say average one, you're a liar.
(edited 10 years ago)
Shock horror. Women also want to catch the attention of attractive men/give them a second look.

omgz deyre so shallow i hate women and im gonna show dis by mking a thread :crying:

:curious: I wonder why the OP doesn't get that much attention.
Reply 27
Everybody gives an extra look when they see someone attractive, just like people respond automatically when they see bare skin (whether the person is attractive or not). If a woman would cheat on her partner with another man just because he's better-looking, she'd be shallow and a bitch. But honestly you can't call someone shallow just from looking at someone else.
And just because you won't be perplexed by a beautiful woman (which I believe is a lie), doesn't mean most men wouldn't. Most men check out hot women the same way the women you describe check out your friend, usually even more.

No gender is more 'shallow' than the other. I also disagree with women saying men are more shallow. Men are more visual on average (not every man, but the average man compared to the average woman). Women care more about other values, they are more concerned with power, confidence, social status and success. A woman saying a man is shallow for fancying a woman who's better looking than her is like a man saying a woman is a whore because she happens to pick another man who is wealthier and more successful than he is. They're both wrong and rooted in self deception. People are going to act according to their own sexual triggers and there is no use trying to make them change their mind.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28

How is it?

1) That's a huge generalisation, based on pretty much nothing. Yes guys do care about looks, but so do girls. You're using your own experience of guys and trying to apply that to half the world's population on the basis that they are also male.

2) As for your question, the vast majority of girls would say no to a guy they thought was very ugly. You see what I did there? Beauty is subjective, cliche as it sounds. Very few girls are considered universally ugly, and attractiveness doesn't depend solely on looks. Therefore, a question like 'would any guy go out with a very ugly girl?' is vague and question-begging at best.

3) You seem to cite yourself as an example by saying you go out with guys who 'haven't the best looking,' which implies that you think this is comparable to a guy going out with a girl he thinks is very ugly. Let me ask you a question: do you think the boys you went out with were very ugly, or just that they were average/ not extremely attractive?
Reply 29
Hate to sound big-headed but I've had the kind of attention OP speaks of. On nights out especially, when the girls have had a dose of liquid confidence.

In such a case as that, it's much worse than them standing near me and "accidentally" brushing against me or walking into me. They often come up to me, bold as brass, and start flirting. The giggling that ensues from their gurrrllzzz is annoying as fuark. It might sound like such attention would be a good thing, but it isn't, because the vast majority of girls are rubbish at pulling. They aren't seductive or sensual about it at all, instead they come at you with over-zealous teasing and the kind of banter their "alpha" guy-friends have probably used on them.

Personally, I think girls hype up the hot guys that they see. Similar to how men convince themselves that certain girls are "special" and worthy of extra attention and fawning just because they happen to be hot. It's just that, hype. Nothing more. I fall short of most of their expectations in the sense that I'm not some modern day cassanova or that I can **** like a god just because I've been born with a symmetrical face and well-proportioned features. The problem with shallow people is not that they favour people with good-looks, but because they let those looks influence their opinion and image of that person to such a point that it's nowhere near the actual truth.
(edited 10 years ago)
tumblr_ljzhpqBn9V1qhxr17o1_500.gif

Credible survey/statistics needed, otherwise this is utter nonsense.
Original post by Ace Ten
Hate to sound big-headed but I've had the kind of attention OP speaks of. On nights out especially, when the girls have had a dose of liquid confidence.

In such a case as that, it's much worse than them standing near me and "accidentally" brushing against me or walking into me. They often come up to me, bold as brass, and start flirting. The giggling that ensues from their gurrrllzzz is annoying as fuark. It might sound like such attention would be a good thing, but it isn't, because the vast majority of girls are rubbish at pulling. They aren't seductive or sensual about it at all, instead they come at you with over-zealous teasing and the kind of banter their "alpha" guy-friends have probably used on them.

Personally, I think girls hype up the hot guys that they see. Similar to how men convince themselves that certain girls are "special" and worthy of extra attention and fawning just because they happen to be hot. It's just that, hype. Nothing more. I fall short of most of their expectations in the sense that I'm not some modern day cassanova or that I can **** like a god just because I've been born with a symmetrical face and well-proportioned features. The problem with shallow people is not that they favour people with good-looks, but because they let those looks influence their opinion and image of that person to such a point that it's nowhere near the actual truth.

Respect for coming out of this ****.

I am also surprised that you are so self aware of the unfairness with looks that you wrote this.

Moral of the story:

It sucks to be ugly.

You will always get seconds. And can't do anything about it.
Reply 33
What a shocker, slags are amongst us. :rolleyes:
This goes out to CERTAIN people of course. There's no point in imputing this to an entire species.
(edited 10 years ago)

Stay sick. Because you're wrong.

Original post by Nomes89
Don't be ridiculous, guys do this too. Obviously if he's extremely attractive he's going to get more attention than usual. It's like asking why a Ferrari makes heads turn and a Volvo doesn't.

Tbh you sound jealous.

Ridiculous comparison. There's looking at and desiring attention from a beautiful man. Which is fine and natural. Then there's acting like a peasant dribbling, hands and knees at the feet of the aristocracy in the desperate hope they'll bless you with a one night stand, whilst treating less attractive (or more unattractive, whatever) males with mild contempt. (don't even try to make out I'm saying girls should treat average men the same. Just no). This guy is jealous. But he makes a good, valid point.

Original post by hollywoodbudgie
Shock horror. Women also want to catch the attention of attractive men/give them a second look.

omgz deyre so shallow i hate women and im gonna show dis by mking a thread :crying:

:curious: I wonder why the OP doesn't get that much attention.

Oh come off it :rolleyes: He doesn't hate women. He's made a valid point that some women make overtly amorous, to the point where you can taste and choke on the stench of desperation, advances to 10/10 men, whilst, as I said above, treating the 6/10 and below with disdain and contempt. He is jealous, yes, but he makes a good and valid point. Go to an event involving One Direction for further proof of this.

Original post by karmaxwell
You're tarring all girls with the same brush, and yet you log complain when we say things like 'guys are d*cks' and 'all men are the same'

Most girls aren't 'shallow' as you say.
You can blame a girl for looking at someone, can guarantee most guys judge purely on looks and won't bother getting to know you if you aren't 'tidy' -_-

Three words: One. Direction. Fans.

See reply to Nomes89 for why I think you miss the point slightly here. Guys do judge too, but their behavior (the ones who aren't sociopaths) around desirable women isn't as irrational generally speaking.

Identify the straight, male equivalent of the One Direction Fan to destroy me on the spot
Reply 35
Original post by Dude Where's My Username
Ridiculous comparison. There's looking at and desiring attention from a beautiful man. Which is fine and natural. Then there's acting like a peasant dribbling, hands and knees at the feet of the aristocracy in the desperate hope they'll bless you with a one night stand, whilst treating less attractive (or more unattractive, whatever) males with mild contempt. (don't even try to make out I'm saying girls should treat average men the same. Just no). This guy is jealous. But he makes a good, valid point.

This is the point I am trying to make.

I am the thread starter and I just want to say that not ALL girls are like this but I seem to always see this inferior behavior among women. I do respect women and I do alright for myself (as mentioned earlier) but it seems as it's only the women who go from 'normal' to 'sex slave' in a matter of seconds when an attractive guy comes into the vicinity.

Btw I did admit I was jealous...who wouldn't be? When its something that you constantly experience. However I have learnt to respect it and accept it.
Reply 36
This is pathetic. What is wrong with a guy/girl eyeing up somebody even though they're in a relationship? So what, they have to walk around looking at the floor? It's not doing any harm, jesus christ! Yeah, people warm slightly more to attractive people, this is HUMAN. How is it dropping to their knees??

And, to be honest, guys do it to attractive girls too. Are you only just figuring this out now? Good lord, you've all got problems.

How is it?

What do you look like, you cant be that bad looking.

I have seen some serious BEASTS of a women get laid.
Original post by Anonymous
This is the point I am trying to make.

I am the thread starter and I just want to say that not ALL girls are like this but I seem to always see this inferior behavior among women. I do respect women and I do alright for myself (as mentioned earlier) but it seems as it's only the women who go from 'normal' to 'sex slave' in a matter of seconds when an attractive guy comes into the vicinity.

Btw I did admit I was jealous...who wouldn't be? When its something that you constantly experience. However I have learnt to respect it and accept it.

Get plastic surgery.
Reply 39
I think it's proven that guys are more visually stimulated than girls.
Girls are often attracted to guys for other reasons, it's not so much about looks.

However I think girls are more bitchy, and more vocal about their opinions, about people of either gender, so they can come across as immature and shallow.
Also girls tend to throw themselves at hot guys or start acting a bit desperate, when a guy see's a hot girl he normally just stares and does nothing or makes an approach (which may come across as creepy or arrogant).

Quick Reply

Latest