The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by -FireFlies-
Trying to :smile: the roojm is literally goin round nd round and round - time to go back go sleep I reckon

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like a good idea. Stay safe sweet dreams!
Oh FFS I so shouldn't have tried to get out of bed :facepalm:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
/sub
Reply 43
Rant. Might become an essay.

Spoiler

Reply 44
Hey everyone :smile:

I seriously don't know what is going to get me motivated. First exam in 9 days and I haven't started revising. I feel tired all the time and snap at everyone. Seem to be stuck in my own little world. I wish there was a magic way to make it all better :cry2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So my day yesterday ended up with me having to tell my boss I was hearing voices.

There is NO understanding of my MH issues at work, I have tried to discuss things with my manager but she just doesn't understand.

I started having a panic attack at work yesterday and I needed to leave. Having EID means that when things get that bad I'm not thinking straight and its hard for me to keep myself safe or act appropriately.

My manager's approach is "Take 5 and breathe for a minute." As if I wasn't ****ing breathing before!!!

The only way I could express how bad I was feeling was to tell her I'm hearing voices. It wasn't true this time, but things were headed that way.

I have to go back to work tomorrow and she'll probably want a "little chat" about it. I can't cope :frown:

Sorry for the rant, I'm really low and whenever this happens (its pretty rare) I feel like its a win for the EID.
Reply 46
Original post by avhhs
Hey everyone :smile:

I seriously don't know what is going to get me motivated. First exam in 9 days and I haven't started revising. I feel tired all the time and snap at everyone. Seem to be stuck in my own little world. I wish there was a magic way to make it all better :cry2:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel exactly the same way at the moment. My course is 100% coursework but the deadlines are fast approaching, and I have 2 extensions. I'm in no position to study or work. Feel for you :hugs:
Reply 47
Original post by HmMusic
I feel exactly the same way at the moment. My course is 100% coursework but the deadlines are fast approaching, and I have 2 extensions. I'm in no position to study or work. Feel for you :hugs:

Likewise with me except with NO extensions and I can't ask for one really if one coursework being set in march and the other in April :frown: Overwhelmed is an understatement and stress is my dominant emotion right now. Just a complete and utter *sigh*...i'm close to a break down and i'm trying to figure out how i'm still holding it together, probably cause I need the time it takes to recover form a breakdown to do my work :-/
Original post by allthetime
So my day yesterday ended up with me having to tell my boss I was hearing voices.

There is NO understanding of my MH issues at work, I have tried to discuss things with my manager but she just doesn't understand.

I started having a panic attack at work yesterday and I needed to leave. Having EID means that when things get that bad I'm not thinking straight and its hard for me to keep myself safe or act appropriately.

My manager's approach is "Take 5 and breathe for a minute." As if I wasn't ****ing breathing before!!!

The only way I could express how bad I was feeling was to tell her I'm hearing voices. It wasn't true this time, but things were headed that way.

I have to go back to work tomorrow and she'll probably want a "little chat" about it. I can't cope :frown:

Sorry for the rant, I'm really low and whenever this happens (its pretty rare) I feel like its a win for the EID.

Can you get a friend to come with you, who can talk for you, and help explain, etc etc.
Reply 49
Original post by PonchoKid
is anyone free for skype or PMing? :cry2:

I am, just need to build up the motivation to get my iPad. Having one of those days where that survey question "takes little interest or pleasure in doing things" applies to me a million percent. Pm me if you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Delain
My fiancé is the only one of us working (we live together) and he is having to support us both. I can't claim Jobseekers because as a couple our household income is too high and I haven't paid enough NI contributions either. So I am letting him down. I'm also letting my family down because they're all brilliant people who don't let life get to them and I'm just a piece of ****.

I'm really sorry about that :frown: I bet they don't think you're letting them down. They know that you're trying your hardest, right? And your best is all you can do, I'm afraid. Please don't feel like a failure.
Original post by rmhumphries
Can you get a friend to come with you, who can talk for you, and help explain, etc etc.

I don't have a friend who's that clued up on it. My close friend's know, but they don't know the details. I don't want to depend on anyone, I'll just be seen as a joke at work.

I work at a higher end fashion clothing store. There's not a lot of tolerance for any topic other than dieting and TOWIE.

But thankyou for the suggestion :smile:
I don't have a friend who's that clued up on it. My close friend's know, but they don't know the details. I don't want to depend on anyone, I'll just be seen as a joke at work.

I work at a higher end fashion clothing store. There's not a lot of tolerance for any topic other than dieting and TOWIE.

Hmm, maybe write a letter explaining the situation then, as you can give that to your manager, and then you get across what you want to say, without being able to be interrupted, etc.

Remember that the company, by law, can't treat you badly due to mental health problems and has to make reasonable allowances for you under the Equality Act 2010. I am not sure how this comes into effect if you are completely unable to work for a temporary period, and I guess it would depend on how long that period was, if it was for 30 minutes say, I would consider it a reasonable allowance to allow you to have more breaks than normal (but possibly not get paid or get paid a reduced amount for the additional breaks). If the period was days, then standard sick pay laws would be in force.

It is also worth noting that anything you tell your manager or any other member of management should be treated in strict confidence by them, and only passed onto other members of staff where there is a specific need to.

This does all fall under various laws which I am not an expert on however.
The urge to run way after my dissertation is getting stronger. Considering just upping and vanishing after I finish this semester and only telling people what I'm doing once I'm there. How am I supposed to know whether it's a general urge or a crazy urge. I just want to spend time by the sea.
Original post by rmhumphries
Hmm, maybe write a letter explaining the situation then, as you can give that to your manager, and then you get across what you want to say, without being able to be interrupted, etc.

Remember that the company, by law, can't treat you badly due to mental health problems and has to make reasonable allowances for you under the Equality Act 2010. I am not sure how this comes into effect if you are completely unable to work for a temporary period, and I guess it would depend on how long that period was, if it was for 30 minutes say, I would consider it a reasonable allowance to allow you to have more breaks than normal (but possibly not get paid or get paid a reduced amount for the additional breaks). If the period was days, then standard sick pay laws would be in force.

It is also worth noting that anything you tell your manager or any other member of management should be treated in strict confidence by them, and only passed onto other members of staff where there is a specific need to.

This does all fall under various laws which I am not an expert on however.

All these things you're suggesting sound so good, but where I work the people are pathetic. If I was given an extra break there'd be an insane amount of bitching and moaning about me.

I already know I can't trust my manager, she texted a friend of mine thinking we were no longer in contact about my mental health issues.

I hate where I work. I have to be there at 8 tomorrow morning and I'm panicking.
All these things you're suggesting sound so good, but where I work the people are pathetic. If I was given an extra break there'd be an insane amount of bitching and moaning about me.

I already know I can't trust my manager, she texted a friend of mine thinking we were no longer in contact about my mental health issues.

I hate where I work. I have to be there at 8 tomorrow morning and I'm panicking.

Not sure what to suggest then I'm afraid, bit of a catch 22 situation.

With regards to the manager however, that is (at the least) extremely unprofessional. I would suggest complaining further up, however that may make things worse. Certainly make a formal complaint to the HQ if you leave at any point though.

Can you try and find another job?
Reply 56

I totally can relate to you, I think it's only in retail that happens. You could take up a grievance against your manager for that text, it's so unprofessional and your manager could get in serious trouble.
Reply 57
Well I think it's high time for an update on my life.

It's precisely 63 hours since my last shower, and I have played football for two hours in that time. Grim. But don't worry, I haven't been outside since Friday night, so nobody has had to smell me.

I have spent today (and last night/early morning) gazing at band t shirts online and reading 'hilarious' "22 things you didn't know about how **** your life is" articles on Cracked and Buzzfeed.

I am currently sitting on skype with asdfgah (nothing new there) with half a reel of cassette tape deposited on my head (that bit's fairly new), and I must admit that it looks like I've had a really bad perm.

More than 50% of me is wishing that I didn't have a GP appointment tomorrow just to see how long I can bear to go without showering, but she's interrupting my flow. Think if I turn up for the appt all smelly and in crumpled PJs people might suspect something is up.
Anyone have any advice on my previous post? :frown: or maybe just some friendly words. I can't wait until i'm just stable again, i feel worse than i ever have :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Have had a really bad few days lately and last night i went out for my best friends birthday. Was having a great time until i ended up getting as drunk as anything and breaking down in front of my friends, i was so embarrassed :frown: they couldn't understand why i suddenly started crying. So i don't think alcohol helps at all with how im feeling lately. At one point i was sat outside just staring at the floor and i had this feeling come over me that i had never felt before. It was possibly the scariest and most horrid feeling i had ever felt. A thought came into my head and spun in my mind for about a minute and then disappeared. I was really really frightened. I didn't even feel like me. I felt like i was watching myself in a movie or something. Im really scared that this is taking a hold of me as last night for that few minutes was the weirdest and most depressed i had ever felt :frown:
im scared of myself, i feel i may do something stupid and im losing control, im unpredictable

Firstly, I wouldn't worry too much about your friends - even normal people do silly things when drunk, I imagine they would have just been worried about you.

It would be a good idea however to watch how much you are drinking in the future and/or ask a trusted friend to watch you to ensure you don't get as drunk - alcohol is a depressant and so it can make you feel worse.

I don't have anything overly helpful to say about how you felt when outside - perhaps mention it to a medical professional if you see any next time you see them. Hopefully if you are careful with how much you drink, then the situation won't reoccur. :hugs: