The Student Room Group

Dropped AS Level Grades?

Hey,

I made a thread a few days ago about not continuing two of my three AS and replacing them with others at another college. I didn't feel like this question really fit in with that thread, so I've made a new one.

I'm pretty certain that I won't get any higher than a C in Biology or Religious Studies (even though RS is really easy), and I'm going to drop them and change college to one closer to me, and I'm going to take up four other AS levels.

What I'm worried about is when the time comes to apply to a University, and I'm really aiming for the top - Cambridge would be nice, Imperial too, etc.

Will those dropped AS grades come back to haunt me on the UCAS sheet? Even if I have AAAA in the 4 I'll take up (and the A2 English I didn't drop and will have continued) won't having a c and a d in two dropped AS subjects look bad?

Or do I not have to explicitly state it? Because right now I'm going a little crazy. I want to do the best I can for all of my subjects, but I know I won't do that well, and I don't want to jeopardise my future.

Thanks

EDIT: Just for clarification I have viable reasons for getting low grades in those two subjects - I was pretty much forced to take them since they didn't offer what I wanted to do (Computing & Classical Civ) and I couldn't do Maths AS because I got a D on my Maths GCSE since they only taught Foundation Level and despite getting 69/69 on the Unit 2 Foundation exam I decided to sit them all again at Higher after going back and forth on the prospect for months (which took away from my study time) and realised that the teaching wasn't sufficient and I ended up with a D. My grade was carried down due to the fact that I got a U in Unit 3, and I'm still not sure how, because that was in June and when I retook the exam in a linear format in the following November, I achieved an easy B. Going from D to B with virtually no revision is a bit dubious. So I only had the prospect of doing AS Maths AFTER I had started my AS. And that's partially why I want to start them again.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Azure-blue
Hey,

I made a thread a few days ago about not continuing two of my three AS and replacing them with others at another college. I didn't feel like this question really fit in with that thread, so I've made a new one.

I'm pretty certain that I won't get any higher than a C in Biology or Religious Studies (even though RS is really easy), and I'm going to drop them and change college to one closer to me, and I'm going to take up four other AS levels.

What I'm worried about is when the time comes to apply to a University, and I'm really aiming for the top - Cambridge would be nice, Imperial too, etc.

Will those dropped AS grades come back to haunt me on the UCAS sheet? Even if I have AAAA in the 4 I'll take up (and the A2 English I didn't drop and will have continued) won't having a c and a d in two dropped AS subjects look bad?

Or do I not have to explicitly state it? Because right now I'm going a little crazy. I want to do the best I can for all of my subjects, but I know I won't do that well, and I don't want to jeopardise my future.

Thanks

EDIT: Just for clarification I have viable reasons for getting low grades in those two subjects - I was pretty much forced to take them since they didn't offer what I wanted to do (Computing & Classical Civ) and I couldn't do Maths AS because I got a D on my Maths GCSE since they only taught Foundation Level and despite getting 69/69 on the Unit 2 Foundation exam I decided to sit them all again at Higher after going back and forth on the prospect for months (which took away from my study time) and realised that the teaching wasn't sufficient and I ended up with a D. My grade was carried down due to the fact that I got a U in Unit 3, and I'm still not sure how, because that was in June and when I retook the exam in a linear format in the following November, I achieved an easy B. Going from D to B with virtually no revision is a bit dubious. So I only had the prospect of doing AS Maths AFTER I had started my AS. And that's partially why I want to start them again.

I'm afraid that getting a D at GCSE Maths followed by a B on the re-sit would probably knock out any chances of Cambridge or Imperial, regardless of what A levels you get but you never know. You don't say what you are hoping to read, but both Cambridge and Imperial are likely to expect a minimum of 1 A* at A2 - I'd advise you to have a good look on UCAS at likely offers and think of some alternative universities.
(edited 10 years ago)
x

Stated above, to be blunt, your chances of Cambridge/Imperial are very slim. You have to put every single UMS score for every AS unit taken (including subjects dropped, UMS before any resits, UMS after resits etc.) on the SAQ if you apply to Cambridge. Unfortunately the B in maths isn't going to go down well with either of those universities.
Reply 3
Original post by Serpentine111
Stated above, to be blunt, your chances of Cambridge/Imperial are very slim. You have to put every single UMS score for every AS unit taken (including subjects dropped, UMS before any resits, UMS after resits etc.) on the SAQ if you apply to Cambridge. Unfortunately the B in maths isn't going to go down well with either of those universities.

Thanks for the response.

"GCSEs

With the exception of those for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (grade C or above in GCSE Double Award Science and Mathematics), there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge, and there is no minimum number of A* grades required for any of our courses.

Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the school/college performance and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE."

Straight from the Cambridge website.

The fact that I achieved a B in Maths despite only being taught to a C level shows that I read and performed beyond the required amount (at least required by my college). The fact that I wasn't doing it traditionally was by no fault of my own, but because of medical reasons, and these are all things I've thought about many, many times.

I'm going to take up Maths and Further Maths at AS so having predicted A grades in both of those on my UCAS will far outweigh the silly B grade in GCSE Maths, and that will essentially mean nothing.

That being said, my question was about the affect of two poor grades alongside four required grades. I couldn't care less hearing about how hard Cambridge is to get into - I'm not completely naive. I have a problem with people who read a TSR thread, see 'Cambridge', and immediately say "unless you have 15A* and 9AS and you did them all in 2 Months and also did a Gold DofE award and learnt 5 languages, you're not getting in."

EDIT:

I'm going to be doing

A2 English Language and Literature (Predicted Grade: A)
AS Mathematics
AS Further Mathematics
AS Computing
AS Classics

And I want to do Computer Science at Uni. Comp Sci requires Mathematics, Cambridge PREFER Further Maths, and a lot of colleges within Cambridge like Computing, and see it as a replacement for Physics.

I'll need A*AA, but I'll be applying using an Extenuating Circumstances Form, so I may get a lower offer. Either way, I can easily achieve A*AA.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks for the response.

"GCSEs

With the exception of those for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (grade C or above in GCSE Double Award Science and Mathematics), there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge, and there is no minimum number of A* grades required for any of our courses.

Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the school/college performance and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE."

Straight from the Cambridge website.

The fact that I achieved a B in Maths despite only being taught to a C level shows that I read and performed beyond the required amount (at least required by my college). The fact that I wasn't doing it traditionally was by no fault of my own, but because of medical reasons, and these are all things I've thought about many, many times.

I'm going to take up Maths and Further Maths at AS so having predicted A grades in both of those on my UCAS will far outweigh the silly B grade in GCSE Maths, and that will essentially mean nothing.

That being said, my question was about the affect of two poor grades alongside four required grades. I couldn't care less hearing about how hard Cambridge is to get into - I'm not completely naive. I have a problem with people who read a TSR thread, see 'Cambridge', and immediately say "unless you have 15A* and 9AS and you did them all in 2 Months and also did a Gold DofE award and learnt 5 languages, you're not getting in."

EDIT:

I'm going to be doing

A2 English Language and Literature (Predicted Grade: A)
AS Mathematics
AS Further Mathematics
AS Computing
AS Classics

And I want to do Computer Science at Uni. Comp Sci requires Mathematics, Cambridge PREFER Further Maths, and a lot of colleges within Cambridge like Computing, and see it as a replacement for Physics.

I'll need A*AA, but I'll be applying using an Extenuating Circumstances Form, so I may get a lower offer. Either way, I can easily achieve A*AA.

I think one of the things you would need to check (maybe ring the unis) is if all your alevels need to be say within 2 years..are you planning on doing at least 3 A2s and those AS's during the same year?

I agree it is known that Cambridge look a lot more at alevel UMS than at GCSEs, however the concern is that alevel maths is much tougher than gcse maths. There are some people who really pick up at alevel thou and as you said you've had extenuating circumstances then it is possible.

Also, you only need 4ASs and 3A2s to get in...it's quality not quantity, so if any of those extra ASs aren't necessary for the unis then don't bother!

Good luck with it all (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Well I got an E at AS last year in English literature (haha whoops) and still managed to get all five of my offers on ucas this year, if that helps you! I can't comment on the likes of Cambridge as I didn't want to apply there, but it was Goldsmiths, Leeds Uni, Bournemouth, Glasgow and Sunderland. My other AS grades were ABB.

Actually, one of my friends got into Cambridge this year and she messed up pretty bad in the beginning so she ended up doing another year at sixth form. She's done something ridiculous like 6 or 7 AS levels in total, and she got an E in maths.

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine because you're going to do some extras anyway. I honestly don't think it matters so much when it's an AS that you've dropped. It's probably bad if it was your actual A levels that were bad grades.

Best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
x

If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in your other GCSEs? I know that GCSEs aren't the deciding factor for getting into any university, even Cambridge, but having a B in a relevant subject at GCSE doesn't help, that's all. I know at Imperial and Cambridge both said they would overlook sub-par GCSE performance in relevant subjects if you make up for it at A-level (they'd just find it a bit odd) but if you have extenuating circumstances then that might help.

You'd still have to put your 2 dropped subjects on UCAS (definitely on the Cambridge SAQ). Whether you put down individual module grades is up to you, but both universities have said they'd like all applicants to declare all module grades (UMS for Cambridge).

Even though they aren't relevant subjects, you are still aiming for the best universities- those grades on your application isn't going to help when your competition have straight As at AS with no resits. Also, I have heard that Imperial don't like people redoing years in A-Level (they'd like most to have finished in 2 years) and Cambridge certainly aren't keen on people who have done more than 2-3 resits (which, by the sounds of it, you have).

Not trying to put you down, but the work load at either of those universities is very tough. Do you actually want to go there/like/researched what the course it like or are you just going for the "prestige"? Resits are capped at universities and if you haven't actually researched the course thoroughly you may find there are modules which you don't like and resitting will do little to no help (Hence why those universities don't really like resits).

Of course, no-one can say for sure "You won't get in". Just try your best and give it a shot. Good luck
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by zmai
I think one of the things you would need to check (maybe ring the unis) is if all your alevels need to be say within 2 years..are you planning on doing at least 3 A2s and those AS's during the same year?

I agree it is known that Cambridge look a lot more at alevel UMS than at GCSEs, however the concern is that alevel maths is much tougher than gcse maths. There are some people who really pick up at alevel thou and as you said you've had extenuating circumstances then it is possible.

Also, you only need 4ASs and 3A2s to get in...it's quality not quantity, so if any of those extra ASs aren't necessary for the unis then don't bother!

Good luck with it all (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not planning on retaking any AS years at all, I'm dropping Bio and RE after finishing them at AS, and taking on four new ones. So I'll be doing A2 English alongside AS Maths, Further Maths, Computing, and Classics. I will have done all of the A Levels I'll have along a two year period, I will have just spent a bit longer due to course changes. That shouldn't be a problem for Cambridge.

I could theoretically get in with three A2s, but they would be Maths, Further Maths, and Computing. And that sounds a little TOO mathematics-y to me. I need variation in my courses, and I love English, that's why I want to do five :P. Computing should be a breeze for me, as will English (and it's only for a year since I'm starting A2), so I'll be down to 4 subjects so I can really focus on Maths.

Original post by Lucy1025
Well I got an E at AS last year in English literature (haha whoops) and still managed to get all five of my offers on ucas this year, if that helps you! I can't comment on the likes of Cambridge as I didn't want to apply there, but it was Goldsmiths, Leeds Uni, Bournemouth, Glasgow and Sunderland. My other AS grades were ABB.

Actually, one of my friends got into Cambridge this year and she messed up pretty bad in the beginning so she ended up doing another year at sixth form. She's done something ridiculous like 6 or 7 AS levels in total, and she got an E in maths.

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine because you're going to do some extras anyway. I honestly don't think it matters so much when it's an AS that you've dropped. It's probably bad if it was your actual A levels that were bad grades.

Best of luck :smile:

That does help me! At the end of the day Cambridge value their interview above anything else. I mean, of course they want people with the grades, but after you have the grades it's about you. That's why you have stories of people who have 9A*s but still don't get in. I'm completely self-motivated, I got here by my own will, back when I was 16 I had nothing, and I could've remained with nothing, but I didn't. I decided to build up my education starting from Level 2 English and Maths courses, and now I'm here. So I think I can handle Uni and beyond that, my career. :smile:

Original post by Serpentine111
~

I sat my GCSEs as part of a retake programme over the period of an academic year, because I didn't go to secondary due to medical issues. I only had the chance to do 5 as a part of that package, since the only other college that did more than 5 was two trains away (Uxbridge) and didn't want to take me because of distance. I could have sat each exam as a private candidate but it would've cost A LOT of cash, and I wouldn't have been prepared, either. I ended up getting an A* in Media Studies, an A in English Language, a B in Maths, a B in IT, and a C in Biology (although I had an A in Unit 1). My GCSEs aren't the greatest, but considering how the teachers only taught to foundation level (meaning a maximum grade of C for Maths and English), I had to independently learn and sit the exams at higher (I was one of only three people to do Higher tier in Maths, and one of two to do it in English, and the other guy got a C) so the fact that I still achieved a B despite that is a pretty good sign of my academic capabilities.

I went to a "taster day" to Cambridge, and they told me that they don't care about resits in GCSE, and they don't mind a couple of resits at AS, just as long as you aren't resitting entire years and such. I've only done two resits - RE and Bio, and that's because I was sick for two weeks before a half term, so I was off for three weeks, and I didn't have my exam timetable until I came back on the week of exams. I had my first resit this morning and I think it went really, really well. I found out I answered the question wrong last year, because for RE it's quite confusing, you have to do three but I thought I only had to do two, so that's probably why I did badly.

I'm aiming for straight As on my AS, if I don't get straight As I'm not going to consider these top unis, and I understand how I'm competing with people from private colleges who have an average of A*A*A*A*Aaa, but Computer Science is my passion, and I'm certain that if I get a chance to answer the question "Why Cambridge?" I can convince them of it. I've used computers pretty much every day since I was 5, and they've fascinated me ever since. There's nothing I'd like to do more than Comp Sci. I also have a passion for Psychology, and those two subjects mix really well. I honestly feel perfect for the course, and to make sure of that I want to take Further Maths alongside Maths so that I have absolutely no troubles with it.

I know what subjects I need/are preferred for the course, I know the syllabus, I know what courses you can transfer to/from... There really isn't much I don't know. I know the A Level blacklist and Trinity College's preferred A Level list tiers off by heart, I've called admissions at various colleges and asked questions, I'm prepared.

It's not for the prestige, it's a great place (like I said before, I've been there) and I'm convinced if I want to do as well in CS as I want to, I'll need a top university behind me.

Phew, thanks though. It's just a little fatiguing when I spend every waking minute thinking about this stuff and then people act like I'm stupid just because they got a rejection from South Bank or something.

Quick Reply