The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6CH07/01- May 8th 2013 - AS Chemistry Unit 3B

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kiasha
if you take the temperature difference wont the error cancel out? i mean 100-0 is 100 and 101-1 is also a hundred. so even if error was present in the thermometer reading the temperature difference obtained would still be accurate right??

I don't think taking 100 and 0 is a good idea tbh.When you take one reading off that thermometer with ±0.5'C uncertainty,you do this to find the %uncertainty, (0.5/x) times 100% cuz you took only 1 reading.However if you take two readings like 25'c and 30'c you have a combined uncertainty of 2x( ±0.5) = 1.There you took the difference between the two values and you have to consider both the uncertainties i think.As for taking 100 and 0,if you divide ±0.5 by 0 you are gonna get or possibly a math error which is ignored and taken as zero.Not 100% sure though:tongue:
Reply 181
Original post by kiasha
hey alcohol is polar right?? it can form hydrogen bonds with water..when iodine dissolves in polar solvents it gives a brown color. so shouldnt it be brown???

Ummm, I'm confused isn't alcohol considered as an organic solvent??? :s
Because Iodine gives a brown color in water, but it dissolves better in organic solvents giving a purple solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 182
Original post by Daniel Atieh
ok for the economic issue i wrote paragraph 9...wbu?

yup the same thing here
Original post by Munchee
Oops got that wrong...anyway thanks!!

you're not the only one :/
Reply 184
Original post by awesomesoccerfan
I don't think taking 100 and 0 is a good idea tbh.When you take one reading off that thermometer with ±0.5'C uncertainty,you do this to find the %uncertainty, (0.5/x) times 100% cuz you took only 1 reading.However if you take two readings like 25'c and 30'c you have a combined uncertainty of 2x( ±0.5) = 1.There you took the difference between the two values and you have to consider both the uncertainties i think.As for taking 100 and 0,if you divide ±0.5 by 0 you are gonna get or possibly a math error which is ignored and taken as zero.Not 100% sure though:tongue:

yeah you are probably right. :smile: but the thing thats confusing me rite now is we end up gettin the same answer. suppose if there is an uncertainty of 0.5 then we get 25.5 and 30.5 or 24.5 and 29.5 right. and when we take the difference of these temperatures we end up with the same answer which is 5..right?
Reply 185
Original post by examss
can any1 pls tell me what to read on chemistry unit 1?

that would be formula,equations and amount of substances..energetics, atomic structure and the periodic table, bonding, introductory organic chemistry..lemme know if you want all the subtopics in each topic..okay. have fun studyng.
Reply 186
Original post by KhawlaM
Ummm, I'm confused isn't alcohol considered as an organic solvent??? :s
Because Iodine gives a brown color in water, but it dissolves better in organic solvents giving a purple solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

alcohols with low carbon number are polar because of their OH group..alcohols with carbon number greater than 5 are not miscible in water. there are two opposing solubility trends depending on the OH group and the carbon chain resistance. so butanol would be polar and hence color of iodine in it would be brown i guess.
If I put the right number for the value of the enthalpy change but forgot the sign, how much does it cost me? Do I get any marks at all for the question?
Original post by TheUndercoverPanda
If I put the right number for the value of the enthalpy change but forgot the sign, how much does it cost me? Do I get any marks at all for the question?

One mark for sign. You'll get the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also I think that the iodine disappearing question has stirred up quite the controversy =_= till now I have seen about 5 different answers and I'm pretty sure I got it wrong :frown:
Original post by Relaxedexams
One mark for sign. You'll get the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh ok thanks
Ahh Biology and Chemistry Unit 3b exams are a horrible way to start the exams off in my opinion, so many stupid mistakes from the start ;________;

I think they make us start with the unit 3 papers because they're supposed to be easy. (well, apparently not this time!) I'm trying my best to forget about that awful graph that came in the physics paper. I hope the grade boundaries go super low, but I think it's unlikely.
Original post by madaboutmambo
I think they make us start with the unit 3 papers because they're supposed to be easy. (well, apparently not this time!) I'm trying my best to forget about that awful graph that came in the physics paper. I hope the grade boundaries go super low, but I think it's unlikely.

Good thing I decided not to take physics this year then haha
Good thing I decided not to take physics this year then haha

Curse you.
Relaxedexams man for the obswrvation one...what u c....i wrote like decrese in size, bubbles seen ...like tht...is it acceptable? and for the mass of mixture..was it 50 or 55? and the one after step 7 is re-distillation?
Reply 195
what are the observations seen in that iodobutane one ? is it only purple vapour
Original post by wbrian
what are the observations seen in that iodobutane one ? is it only purple vapour

Yellow solid

Black solid

(Maybe) steamy fumes

Purple vapour is correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Daniel Atieh
Relaxedexams man for the obswrvation one...what u c....i wrote like decrese in size, bubbles seen ...like tht...is it acceptable? and for the mass of mixture..was it 50 or 55? and the one after step 7 is re-distillation?

Are you talking about the carbonate observation? If so then I wrote solid disappears. What you wrote is also correct, not wrong.

Mass was mass of solution. That was 50?

Step 7 is fractional distillation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you talking about the carbonate observation? If so then I wrote solid disappears. What you wrote is also correct, not wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes 50...i wrote re-distillation....can be accepted right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes 50...i wrote re-distillation....can be accepted right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending