The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by JuliaABlu
Do you know what came up in January for unit 3? :smile:

I remember some questions, which topics do you want to know about?
Reply 281
Original post by Aron17
I remember some questions, which topics do you want to know about?

Conflics and challenges, plate tectonics and associated hazards, weather and climate. :smile:
I've gone through the past papers, (Jan 2010 - June 2012) and compiled a list of things they haven't touched on yet in the short answer questions :smile:
Weather and Climate:
there doesn't seem to be much on the atmospheric heat budget and circulation; characteristics of the British isles climate; apart from an a question with a synoptic chart of these conditions nothing on anticyclones formation nor characteristics; climate of tropical region; role of sub tropical cyclones/ITCZ; tropical revolving storms occurrence, impact, management, responses; urban heat island, role of temperature and precipitation; evidence for past climate change; causes and effects of climate change global nor British isles; national and local responses.
*This is excluding essay questions - I think urban heat island and climate change have come up in these!
** I think we did parts of the 2013 paper in our mock, which had a question on formation of TRS.

Plate Tectonics:
Not a lot on convection currents, seafloor spreading and geomagnetism (although they came up in an essay); associated landforms of young fold mts, rift valleys, ocean ridges, island arcs, trenches ; intrusive activity; nothing on impact of volcanic event; nothing on tsunami; management of earthquakes has been done twice, but nothing on nature/impact.

World Cities
Not much on the global pattern of cities nor economic development and change related to urbanisation; urbanisation (char/cause/effects); suburbanisation (char/cause); Counter urbanisation (char/cause); Reurbanisation has not come up at all; urban regeneration has come up in general once, but not specifically gentrification, or property led schemes (partnership schemes came up twice) ; causes and impacts of decentralisation of retailing; only an (a) question commenting on Germany's transport - other than that transport has not come up

Globalisation
Initial growth of NICs, Asian Tigers specifically not come up; characteristics of countries at low levels of ec. devt; trade vs aid

*Please note that I am just listing what has not come up previously one a paper - there is no way of telling if they are likely to pick one of these areas or repeat a topic - especially for globalisation where most areas have been covered. So please revise every topic within each unit, as even if it doesn't come up specifically, the information may be useful in another question, or in the essay*
Original post by rosiesaurus
I've gone through the past papers, (Jan 2010 - June 2012) and compiled a list of things they haven't touched on yet in the short answer questions :smile:
Weather and Climate:
there doesn't seem to be much on the atmospheric heat budget and circulation; characteristics of the British isles climate; apart from an a question with a synoptic chart of these conditions nothing on anticyclones formation nor characteristics; climate of tropical region; role of sub tropical cyclones/ITCZ; tropical revolving storms occurrence, impact, management, responses; urban heat island, role of temperature and precipitation; evidence for past climate change; causes and effects of climate change global nor British isles; national and local responses.
*This is excluding essay questions - I think urban heat island and climate change have come up in these!
** I think we did parts of the 2013 paper in our mock, which had a question on formation of TRS.

Plate Tectonics:
Not a lot on convection currents, seafloor spreading and geomagnetism (although they came up in an essay); associated landforms of young fold mts, rift valleys, ocean ridges, island arcs, trenches ; intrusive activity; nothing on impact of volcanic event; nothing on tsunami; management of earthquakes has been done twice, but nothing on nature/impact.

World Cities
Not much on the global pattern of cities nor economic development and change related to urbanisation; urbanisation (char/cause/effects); suburbanisation (char/cause); Counter urbanisation (char/cause); Reurbanisation has not come up at all; urban regeneration has come up in general once, but not specifically gentrification, or property led schemes (partnership schemes came up twice) ; causes and impacts of decentralisation of retailing; only an (a) question commenting on Germany's transport - other than that transport has not come up

Globalisation
Initial growth of NICs, Asian Tigers specifically not come up; characteristics of countries at low levels of ec. devt; trade vs aid

*Please note that I am just listing what has not come up previously one a paper - there is no way of telling if they are likely to pick one of these areas or repeat a topic - especially for globalisation where most areas have been covered. So please revise every topic within each unit, as even if it doesn't come up specifically, the information may be useful in another question, or in the essay*

Thanks this was very useful. I am going to show my teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emah123
has anyone started revising? how much are you doing each day and how are you revising?

can you please give me some tips on how to revise? i forgotten how i did from AS!! :frown:

have you not started yet?

basically what I do is read, spider diagrams, practice questions and will be getting family to test me no and again!! I say practice questions are most important :smile:

and well, history takes most of my revision up, but I try and do the odd bits now and again! I did like a couple of hours today on plate tectonics! but thats the theory and stuff - still don't understand a bit of it!

how is it going for you?
Reply 285
Original post by JuliaABlu
Conflics and challenges, plate tectonics and associated hazards, weather and climate. :smile:

The plate tectonics 40 marker was "natural disasters are not natural disasters but human disaster, discuss this in relation to earthquakes" or words to that effect. I didn't do weather and climate or conflicts so I don't know what questions came up for those and I can't remember the 25 mark section for tectonics. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Original post by Aron17
"natural disasters are not natural disasters but human disaster, discuss this in relation to earthquakes"

"natural disasters are not natural disasters, but are in fact human disasters"
discuss this in relation to seismic events

what would you have written for this?
Reply 287
Original post by Daniel George
"natural disasters are not natural disasters, but are in fact human disasters"
discuss this in relation to seismic events

what would you have written for this?

When I done it i wrote about effects on humans like social and economic impacts and I also wrote about environmental impacts, to show that it could be considered both natural and human disasters.
that's exactly what i did in the mock!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 289
Original post by Aron17
When I done it i wrote about effects on humans like social and economic impacts and I also wrote about environmental impacts, to show that it could be considered both natural and human disasters.

This is exactly what I did
Then at the end I concluded that human disasters worsen the effects of natural disasters
Can anyone explain the grouping of nations and why countries group together. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jade10128
This is exactly what I did
Then at the end I concluded that human disasters worsen the effects of natural disasters

snap!
Reply 292
Original post by Daniel George
snap!

we all must of been on the right track then :smile:
Reply 293
Can someone please tell me how to structure a 40 marker essay?
I revise by typing up key notes on my blog. www.amyjonesgeography.blogspot.co.uk
I'm doing climate, cities and seismic activities, therefore these are the topics I have made notes on.
Don't know if this will help anyone!
Original post by jacktomos95
Can anyone explain the grouping of nations and why countries group together. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

varies massively.

Can be do with plate tectonics, politics, natural features or someone simply drawing a line on a map.
Hi guys.
I am really struggling on re-urbanisation.
If anybody could help.
I need:
The definition, causes, effects and anything else relevant really.

Thanks,
Jacob:smile:
Reply 297
Is there any point learning a tsunami case study when the spec doesn't say you need one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 298
Original post by Gary
Is there any point learning a tsunami case study when the spec doesn't say you need one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say yes. you can weave it into an answer as a synoptic link when talking about anything relating to 'seismic events'. Besides most people learn the indian ocean boxing day (2004 one) as its fairly common knowledge and not alot extra to learn :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 299
Original post by amyjones15
I revise by typing up key notes on my blog. www.amyjonesgeography.blogspot.co.uk
I'm doing climate, cities and seismic activities, therefore these are the topics I have made notes on.
Don't know if this will help anyone!

Thanks! Very useful, I'm doing the same topics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending