The Student Room Group

GEO4B resit June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurablondejayne
Haha that would be the best thing ever!! I shall pray with you on that one!
Lmao!! Or perhaps we have to rate or in a scale of 1-10on how realistic the email sounds cause there is no way someone would be struck by an earthquake have massive devastation and then use posh terms to describe everything, it just doesn't happen aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha! Isn't that just Geography in general? Describe what you think is right with fancy scientific words and statistics and hope for the best? :tongue:
Original post by annemariemoore
Haha! Isn't that just Geography in general? Describe what you think is right with fancy scientific words and statistics and hope for the best? :tongue:

Haha that's what I will be going for! I love how many statistics I have made up over the years... Done it in lessons too and the teacher has never questioned them haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
I did the Nepal paper for GEO4B and got full UMS - it is possible, you've just got to start now and put in a great deal of work!

A few tips:

Outside research is the key to a good grade. For the Nepal paper, I did stacks of extra research on demographic statistics, developmental statistics, projects other charities have done, etc etc. The pre-release is only a guide; you have to make sure you DON'T copy word for word from it. Knowing it thoroughly, understanding the main issues involved and having the ability to adapt your knowledge to the question, including your own analysis and facts in your exam essays, is the key to high marks.

You can get your own information from the sources suggested in the ZigZag booklet, Wikipedia, books, anything which is related to the topic. Make a good set of notes structured around the AIB with reference to your extra research. The ZigZag guide is useful to work through in order to bring your knowledge of the issue up to speed, but you MUST do more than just that. Having said that, there are usually questions on data presentation, stats or fieldwork, these should be easier to identify and plan for as they are usually clearly referenced in the AIB itself. I would say this paper is more about geographical understanding than revision per se - in the exam because I'd gone over everything beforehand I knew exactly where everything was in the AIB, and it made life so much easier.

Good luck
Original post by DavidCrow
I did the Nepal paper for GEO4B and got full UMS - it is possible, you've just got to start now and put in a great deal of work!

A few tips:

Outside research is the key to a good grade. For the Nepal paper, I did stacks of extra research on demographic statistics, developmental statistics, projects other charities have done, etc etc. The pre-release is only a guide; you have to make sure you DON'T copy word for word from it. Knowing it thoroughly, understanding the main issues involved and having the ability to adapt your knowledge to the question, including your own analysis and facts in your exam essays, is the key to high marks.

You can get your own information from the sources suggested in the ZigZag booklet, Wikipedia, books, anything which is related to the topic. Make a good set of notes structured around the AIB with reference to your extra research. The ZigZag guide is useful to work through in order to bring your knowledge of the issue up to speed, but you MUST do more than just that. Having said that, there are usually questions on data presentation, stats or fieldwork, these should be easier to identify and plan for as they are usually clearly referenced in the AIB itself. I would say this paper is more about geographical understanding than revision per se - in the exam because I'd gone over everything beforehand I knew exactly where everything was in the AIB, and it made life so much easier.

Good luck

Thank you so much!! And well done on getting full UMS! :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

A few tips:

Good luck

Thanks so much! Yeah, does anybody have the zigzag booklet. My teacher isn't providing it for me :/
Reply 25
What is the zigzag booklet? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A few tips:

Good luck

Thanks! The ZigZag booklet seems great. I don't even think it's worth asking my teacher. They're good, but they haven't issued my class with the new AIB yet; nearly two months since it's been out. :s-smilie:

I've just been reading through the AIB and could our Tectonics (I'm assuming everyone does it) revision for GEOG3 come into it as "extra research"? Here's hoping. :tongue:
Original post by Gary
What is the zigzag booklet? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is just a booklet full of possible questions that may come up in the exam. Having a go at practising them really helps, especially if they do come up!
Reply 28
Original post by rosiejohnston
It is just a booklet full of possible questions that may come up in the exam. Having a go at practising them really helps, especially if they do come up!

Where can I get it from? Do you have to buy it??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gary
Where can I get it from? Do you have to buy it??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've seen them online they're like around £60 I think
If you put geo4b June 2013 into google the zigzag website is one of the first options that comes up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
I've seen them online they're like around £60 I think
If you put geo4b June 2013 into google the zigzag website is one of the first options that comes up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't think ill spend £60 on it.... Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gary
Don't think ill spend £60 on it.... Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't say I blame you, that's why I haven't got one, seems a bit excessive lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Apprently in the exam, they might ask you to choose a technique for presenting or analysing data and then justify why you chose that technique?

Any ideas on how to prepare for this??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gary
Apprently in the exam, they might ask you to choose a technique for presenting or analysing data and then justify why you chose that technique?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They did that in January, you just needed to identify ways the data could be represented differently and say why you thought that but when talking to my teacher earlier this week we struggled to find something for it on this paper as the data seems to be represented in the way which is best and other methods don't seem right "/ that's all I can say sorry, hope it was at least of some use :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
They did that in January, you just needed to identify ways the data could be represented differently and say why you thought that but when talking to my teacher earlier this week we struggled to find something for it on this paper as the data seems to be represented in the way which is best and other methods don't seem right "/ that's all I can say sorry, hope it was at least of some use :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers! My teacher today pretty much said the same thing and our class couldn't really think of a way it could be represented, saying that maybe they won't ask us these questions :P(not guarantee)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gary
Cheers! My teacher today pretty much said the same thing and our class couldn't really think of a way it could be represented, saying that maybe they won't ask us these questions :P(not guarantee)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sure hope not! Would be a pretty ridiculous question tbf with the presentation of data already
I'm hoping for nice questions and an even nicer examiner! Aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gary

Posted from TSR Mobile

the only thing I could think of was for figure P2 - rather than a table it could be presented as a histogram with dates along the x axis. Where there isnt a date, just leave a column blank :smile:
Original post by rosiejohnston
the only thing I could think of was for figure P2 - rather than a table it could be presented as a histogram with dates along the x axis. Where there isnt a date, just leave a column blank :smile:

Thanks! I hope they don't ask that as it would be hard to squeeze 6/7marks out of that lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Is their a typical layout set for questions and the amount of marks their worth?

For example in the unit 3 exam, for the 25 marker sections there's always a 7 , 8 and 10 marker

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gary
Is their a typical layout set for questions and the amount of marks their worth?

For example in the unit 3 exam, for the 25 marker sections there's always a 7 , 8 and 10 marker

Posted from TSR Mobile

Umm if I remember correctly the January exam ranged from 6/7 marks to 15
If you look at a past paper on the aqa website you'll be able to see the marks of questions; however, don't attempt to even comprehend the questions as they're all specific for the AIB for each exam
Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending