The Student Room Group

Edexcel m1 official thread ( May 13 Monday 2013)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lebron_23
Okay can someone just clarify this for me please, I'm having a dumb moment..

When something is due north/south, you equate the i components and when something is due west/east you equate the j components?

Funnily enough I'm cool with NE/SW but I'm just having a blank right now.. Exam nerves I guess lol

Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup!

Original post by posthumus
I am seriously confused :confused:

Sometimes they simplify the velocity, so I have:
15i-5j for the velocity

so for my equation "s" I did:

s=(-2i -4j) + t(15i-5j)
s=i(-2+15t) + j(-4-5t)

But they got

s=i(-2+9t) + j(-4-3t)

What on earth???? :confused: Same ratio 9/3 = 3... 15/5 = 3... but doesn't that make a significant difference ! :frown:

Thanks in advance for any replies

Could you post the question, please? :smile:

Original post by SoapInMyEyes
What do you do when something is due NE, NW, SW, SE! for Vectors.

It's easier to explain if you post an example of a question. :smile:

Original post by Frankster
Hey does it matter if you write your vectors in column form or do you have to write it in i j form? I mean obviously if the question states that show. ..... (in i j form).... then yes I'll write it in i j form, but otherwise?

No, it does not in most cases. :smile:

Also what are the guidelines in terms of the accuracy to which you should state your answer in? It's sooooo confusing what with S1 coming up too!! Thanks :biggrin:

For M1, write your answer to 2 or 3 significant figures unless otherwise specified. :smile:
Could someone confirm that they are wrong :smile: I'm stuck on part c) I believe P at t=5 has (-10i + 2j)... I end up with 11.3 as my answer (from the i vector) ... But they have something totally different -_- I think they also did tan= A/O instead of tan=O/A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by usycool1

Could you post the question, please? :smile:

I think I found my mistake :colondollar: I made t=0.4 instead of 40/60... so I guess you can't simplify the velocity as that would change the magnitude, I think I'm getting mixed up between vectors in C4 with M1 :tongue:
Could someone confirm that they are wrong :smile: I'm stuck on part c) I believe P at t=5 has (-10i + 2j)... I end up with 11.3 as my answer (from the i vector) ... But they have something totally different -_- I think they also did tan= A/O instead of tan=O/A

Posted from TSR Mobile

Forgot to post the image :colondollar:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1368434895.736275.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Forgot to post the image :colondollar:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1368434895.736275.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

You always take i to be to the right, therefore you worked out the angle with i, but in the wrong direction (as annoying and confusing as that might sound.

Using Z angles you can see that the other angle of your triangle (other than 90) is equal to the angle between the velocity direction and a vertical line directly up from where you have taken your angle. Then to get to i in the direction of right, you need to add 90 degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Satta101
Does anyone know if you'll get marks for using two methods but one of them has the correct answer and the other has the wrong answer?

Original post by outsider95
You'd lose all your marks. Cross out any incorrect working, and if you're stuck between two answers, pick one and cross the others out, examiners aren't going to credit you for a correct solution if you've shown that you're not confident in your answer. It's like me saying the square root of 25 is 5 or 6, the examiner would mark that as incorrect, you're only allowed one chance to get it right

Oh no...you'll get full marks!

Look at the Jan 2013 marking scheme sixth point under general instructions for marking
This applies to all Maths GCE papers as the marking scheme for M1 Jan 2013 shows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Anyone got their M1 book on them? Page 167 question 6 about particle sliding down a rough plane at an angle to the horizontal? I got 0.44 for acceleration and 2.55 for reaction force?
Reply 407
on the exam style paper in the textbook, question 5, why do you not inculde the mass of the object when resolving vertically?
Reply 408
Good luck brothers and sisters. My stress is so much though that it's magnitude can be resolved using pytag. :frown:
Just quickly guys, if i could direct your attention to the last part of question 5 on june 2002. I'm stumped. If someone could explain how they would go about working it out I would be eternally grateful :biggrin:

Thanks in advance

Also, if you haven't got the paper handy, just ask and I'll post a picture
Good Luck!!
Just quickly guys, if i could direct your attention to the last part of question 5 on june 2002. I'm stumped. If someone could explain how they would go about working it out I would be eternally grateful :biggrin:

Thanks in advance

Also, if you haven't got the paper handy, just ask and I'll post a picture

Post A pic
Original post by JenniS
on the exam style paper in the textbook, question 5, why do you not inculde the mass of the object when resolving vertically?

It's because you're simply looking at forces there. It wants the resultant force and so when you think of forces and resultants and all that good stuff, you need not take into account the mass. It comes into play in the second part of the question though.
Reply 413
I really hope they don't end up giving us a ridiculous vectors question - just can't seem to get the hang of it :frown:
Really shaking in my boots.... except I'm not exactly wearing boots.
Anyone got their M1 book on them? Page 167 question 6 about particle sliding down a rough plane at an angle to the horizontal? I got 0.44 for acceleration and 2.55 for reaction force?

I'm getting 0.33ms^-2 for the acceleration but I agree with 2.55N for the normal reaction. :yy:
Original post by Mad_Study
Post A pic

Its the last part, thanks.
Original post by usycool1
I'm getting 0.33ms^-2 for the acceleration but I agree with 2.55N for the normal reaction. :yy:

Could you tell me how you got 1/3 ms^-2 for the acceleration? :confused: really stumped. Thanks :smile:

Also in vectors when something is north-east, south-east, north-west, south-west, to another object how do you go about those questions? I can do the ones which are due south or north :colondollar:
Reply 417
how many hours left until the exam starts? mine is 1 hour and 15 minutes from now.
Its the last part, thanks.

Make i=j ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liowwc
how many hours left until the exam starts? mine is 1 hour and 15 minutes from now.

Wow yours is early. Mine's at 2pm :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending