The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natalia_14
Could anyone please sum up 'Genetics and Inheritance' and what I would need to learn?Since this is the only topic I haven't revised and I find it really uninteresting -.-

Read the specification (link below).... Cell division/genetics/inheritance etc is at 'B2.7' (starting on page 42)

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL-W-SP.PDF :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Do we need to know about the renal system diagram and about nephrons?
Original post by gloria0816

Nope it says in the spec you don't need to :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gloria0816

yes you do for the section on kidneys
what do you need to know about biogas generators?
can someone explain how mycoprotein is produced?
Reply 466
Could a very nice person please give me a good 6-mark answer for how a biogas generator works? I'm finding the CGP book is a bit vague for this, I used mygcsescience which was good but it would be even better if I could have a written down version. Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 467
Original post by ABC05
Could a very nice person please give me a good 6-mark answer for how a biogas generator works? I'm finding the CGP book is a bit vague for this, I used mygcsescience which was good but it would be even better if I could have a written down version. Thanks guys :smile:

here was a quick one i wrote last night -

A biogas generator is the fermentation of a material to produce fuel. Firstly, Organic waste material or plant material is put through an input tube into a fermenter/digester. The fermention requires anerobic conditions so the generator must be clean of oxygen/air and could have Nitrogen. Various microorganisms start to decay the material, however this all happens at an optimum temperature of around 30 degrees celcius therefor adequate heating is required. Over time, gas is released from the decay of the material and the two main gases include Methane and Carbon Dioxide, and the material will turn into slurry, You will also get a biproduct of Fertiliser and this can be used for farmland. The biogas produces is either stored or is travelled along an output pipe where it is burned straight away as it is extremely dangerous.
can someone please explain how mycoprotein is produced? :smile: for a 6 marker
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 469
Original post by ali_d123
here was a quick one i wrote last night -

A biogas generator is the fermentation of a material to produce fuel. Firstly, Organic waste material or plant material is put through an input tube into a fermenter/digester. The fermention requires anerobic conditions so the generator must be clean of oxygen/air and could have Nitrogen. Various microorganisms start to decay the material, however this all happens at an optimum temperature of around 30 degrees celcius therefor adequate heating is required. Over time, gas is released from the decay of the material and the two main gases include Methane and Carbon Dioxide, and the material will turn into slurry, You will also get a biproduct of Fertiliser and this can be used for farmland. The biogas produces is either stored or is travelled along an output pipe where it is burned straight away as it is extremely dangerous.

Thank you very much!
Reply 470
Original post by you-only-live-once
can someone explain how mycoprotein is produced?

Mycoprotein is a food substance that has been considered an alternative to meat. T produce micoprotein you would firstly require AEROBIC CONDITIONS. This means that you would need oxygen. water and glucode for the production. Mycoprotein is formed from the substance Fursarium. Fusarium is inputted into the generator along with Glucose, Air, water and other required nutrients. This allows the cells to respire. The Fusarium then becomes long chained and this is called Hyphae. However, these chains are very easy to break by mixing so air is used to move the particles around the generator for a subtle mixing effect and this mixing allows the cells to respire quicker. There is a cooling coil also where cool water is put in and warm water is given out. You will then get the product Mycoprotein and this cycle is continous.

That was me just thinking on the spot lol so i suggest you check out your notes, compare it to this and then make a better one :P
Mycoprotein is a food substance that has been considered an alternative to meat. T produce micoprotein you would firstly require AEROBIC CONDITIONS. This means that you would need oxygen. water and glucode for the production. Mycoprotein is formed from the substance Fursarium. Fusarium is inputted into the generator along with Glucose, Air, water and other required nutrients. This allows the cells to respire. The Fusarium then becomes long chained and this is called Hyphae. However, these chains are very easy to break by mixing so air is used to move the particles around the generator for a subtle mixing effect and this mixing allows the cells to respire quicker. There is a cooling coil also where cool water is put in and warm water is given out. You will then get the product Mycoprotein and this cycle is continous.

That was me just thinking on the spot lol so i suggest you check out your notes, compare it to this and then make a better one :P

Thank you so much! :smile: but do we have to know about Hyphae? Never heard about it :L
Reply 472
Just to clarify, if a question asks you to 'evaluate', it's asking you to compare the advantages and disadvantages right?

So ' evaluate modern treatment for diabetes ' means you should state the advantages and disadvantages and do a summary?

Ahhh so confused

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 473
Thank you so much! :smile: but do we have to know about Hyphae? Never heard about it :L

sorry after lookign at my notes Hyphae is actually want FUSarium is made out of.

I wouldnt think you need to know it but i learn it anyway :P (learnt it wrong in this case xD)
Reply 474
Original post by issie1234
Just to clarify, if a question asks you to 'evaluate', it's asking you to compare the advantages and disadvantages right?

So ' evaluate modern treatment for diabetes ' means you should state the advantages and disadvantages and do a summary?

Ahhh so confused

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the question says to EVALUATE then you do just that, well done. So do not be confused you are right.

ALSO if the question says to Evaluate you have to include a CONCLUSION with you OPINION to get the high marks,
sorry after lookign at my notes Hyphae is actually want FUSarium is made out of.

I wouldnt think you need to know it but i learn it anyway :P (learnt it wrong in this case xD)

ah that's fine! thanks so much anyway, and good luck tomorrow :smile:
Original post by issie1234

Ahhh so confused

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah evaluate means stating advantages and disadvantages. Could you also possibly tell me the pros and cons of modern treatment for diabetes please? :smile: x
Reply 477
Ah okay thank you :smile: (can't quote as I'm on my phone)

Just a little tip: if (like me) you're panicking about what you need to know, have a look at the spec on the aqa website. It's actually really helpful and you can easily make practice questions from it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 478
Yeah evaluate means stating advantages and disadvantages. Could you also possibly tell me the pros and cons of modern treatment for diabetes please? :smile: x

Isn't the only treatment insulin injections? lol.... :s-smilie:
Reply 479
I guess that's the only 'treatment' but you can also control diet and exercise regularly. There's also the option of pancreas/stem cell transplant

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending