The Student Room Group

IGCSE CHEMISTRY 2013 (May 20th & June 10th)

Hey all

So the 1C paper for Edexcel's IGCSE Chemistry is now less than a month away and the 2C paper soon after.

This is the first round of exams for this specification (although the changes from the previous spec are minimal).

How is everyone going to focus their revision? Electrolysis is my nemesis. I have to really give that some attention. Also, molar volumes of gases (although if that comes up, it will be on the 2C paper).

Would be great to hear how other people are doing :party:

Scruff

Scroll to see replies

I completely suck at all the molar stuff, though surprisingly, I got it all right when I did the Jan 2013 mock at school. I'm just going to focus on my notes and revise topics that seem to be coming up again and again.
Reply 2
I have not had chance to look at past papers yet - what topics seem to be repeating in your experience?
Reply 3
Any guesses people ??
Reply 4
I am going to do a lot on molar calculations, as well as a bit of electrolysis.

I think I might need to look back on the electrolysis of aluminium.
The advice I can give you.. Run to a bookshop and get the edexcel igcse revision guide for chemistry!! Has everything according to the specification.. Trust me it is possible to score 110 out of 120 by understanding that 150 page book!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
The topic I'm dreading the most is polymerisation and electrolysis. Do they expect us to know the names for the components of nylon and terylene? From my experience repeating questions will be basic ones on organic chemistry (define an unsaturated compound, features of homologous series), titration, properties of group 1 elements (reactions and "What do you observe?" type questions) and bonding ofc (diamond vs graphite etc). Also lol, I agree that the revision guide helps A LOT. Secured me a 114 in the mocks, it's practically like a mark scheme :P (If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. It's good revision XD)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
the way i'm like so buzzing for an A* in chemistry,but sadly i'm not too good at chemical calculations.....help me PLEASE!!
Original post by Navo D.
The topic I'm dreading the most is polymerisation and electrolysis. Do they expect us to know the names for the components of nylon and terylene? From my experience repeating questions will be basic ones on organic chemistry (define an unsaturated compound, features of homologous series), titration, properties of group 1 elements (reactions and "What do you observe?" type questions) and bonding ofc (diamond vs graphite etc). Also lol, I agree that the revision guide helps A LOT. Secured me a 114 in the mocks, it's practically like a mark scheme :P (If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. It's good revision XD)

Haha yeah revision guide rules!! I don't understand polymerization that well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
For me, addition polymerisation is fine but condensation polymerisation is just another story... In the longman textbook the pages on it are just terrifying. Although, I've looked through about 10 different past papers and only two ask questions about it fortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amalik_
For me, addition polymerisation is fine but condensation polymerisation is just another story... In the longman textbook the pages on it are just terrifying. Although, I've looked through about 10 different past papers and only two ask questions about it fortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check the sample asses,net there's one more there as well!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by amalik_

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the new spec, you barely need to know condensation polymerisation at all. Don't need to be able to draw it, just name the parts (amides, carboxylic I think) for Nylon.
Original post by alexgr97
In the new spec, you barely need to know condensation polymerisation at all. Don't need to be able to draw it, just name the parts (amides, carboxylic I think) for Nylon.

No man drawing comes up as well.. Check the paper 2 i think of the spec.. Yu have to draw one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
does anyone have a valid link for the january 2013 1C edexcel igcse mark scheme? its not on the website and all the links i follow ask me to sign up for something
Reply 14
What does everything think will be the main topics that come up this year?
Anyone doing only Double Award? They're most probably going to ask about Organic, Industrial, Moles etc ^o^
Guys what are your predictions
Reply 17
Get the cgp revision guide too, i'm still confused with the whole new spec thing, according to my teacher we are going to be the students sitting the second exam of this type, soo in terms of past papers how is everyone been revising? i literally have just started dsfkjhgjdfkgvneiorugfvdkjfg x
Reply 18
Original post by parasagarwal01
The advice I can give you.. Run to a bookshop and get the edexcel igcse revision guide for chemistry!! Has everything according to the specification.. Trust me it is possible to score 110 out of 120 by understanding that 150 page book!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there a new one out or is it the original but the curt cliffs guy x
Original post by apoorvahk
Anyone doing only Double Award? They're most probably going to ask about Organic, Industrial, Moles etc ^o^

i am doing only double award and i am not that sure with organic chemistry- its all a bit muddled up..!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending