The Student Room Group

OCR AS Philosophy of Religion

How'd it go for you guys ? What questions did you do, and what'd do you think you got ?

I did the one on Intelligent Design, and the one of the theodicies - the theodicies question was an absolute blessing, so much to talk about.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was so happy when I saw the theodices I almost made an outburst! I did the question on Descartes' Ontological argument, but I think I fluffed it up. Talked a lot about Anselm and... Yeah, not good. Hopefully I made up for it in the part B.
Reply 2
Original post by JonnyD
I was so happy when I saw the theodices I almost made an outburst! I did the question on Descartes' Ontological argument, but I think I fluffed it up. Talked a lot about Anselm and... Yeah, not good. Hopefully I made up for it in the part B.

Yeah, I was drawn towards Descartes but decided to stick with the Intelligent Design question.

How did you feel about the part B for the theodicies question ? Who did you talk about ? :smile: I used Mill, Augustine and Freud to debate the part B.
Reply 3
Original post by JonnyD

I did the same questions! I thought the questions for this exam were horrible I mumbled about Anselm also jus because tbh how can ou write a 25 mark question on Descartes alone??

The theodices were a saviour but I still would have preferred Anselm Plato or Aristotle or cosmo or teo or basically anything else but I am glad at least they were I there.

I was gonna choose the Intelligent design question but I just couldn't remember the difference between that and the teleological argument is there even a difference or are they the same thing? idek lol
Reply 4
Original post by jackkme
I did the same questions! I thought the questions for this exam were horrible I mumbled about Anselm also jus because tbh how can ou write a 25 mark question on Descartes alone??

The theodices were a saviour but I still would have preferred Anselm Plato or Aristotle or cosmo or teo or basically anything else but I am glad at least they were I there.

I was gonna choose the Intelligent design question but I just couldn't remember the difference between that and the teleological argument is there even a difference or are they the same thing? idek lol

Intelligent Design is a large part of the teleological argument, they just phrased it differently so they're not repeating a question. Basically, the question was 'Explain William Paley's teleological argument'. :smile:

I avoid the Descartes question for the exact reason! I agree with you about the theodicies, what an awesome question !
Reply 5
oh my god you're joking!? Oh I'm so annoyed now!:frown: I could have smashed that question I just thought that their was a difference
Reply 6
Original post by jackkme
oh my god you're joking!? Oh I'm so annoyed now!:frown: I could have smashed that question I just thought that their was a difference

So did I at the start, just lucky that I took 5 minutes at the start to check what all the questions actually meant. You probably smashed the theodicy question, it'll be fine ! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by dsfdsfdsf
So did I at the start, just lucky that I took 5 minutes at the start to check what all the questions actually meant. You probably smashed the theodicy question, it'll be fine ! :smile:

Oh I dunno I was having trouble remembering the Augustinian theodicy, paleys argument is so much easier that that stupid Descartes oh my god I'm done
Reply 8
Original post by jackkme
Oh I dunno I was having trouble remembering the Augustinian theodicy, paleys argument is so much easier that that stupid Descartes oh my god I'm done

Yeah it really is, unlucky I guess! :frown:

What other paper did you do today for OCR RS ?
Reply 9
Yeah, I was drawn towards Descartes but decided to stick with the Intelligent Design question.

How did you feel about the part B for the theodicies question ? Who did you talk about ? :smile: I used Mill, Augustine and Freud to debate the part B.

I can't remember what I put for part B, haha. I think I talked about Gaunilo, saying his perfect island could also be applied to Descartes. I think I mentioned Kant as well, but I can't remember.

Original post by jackkme

I recoiled seeing intelligent design and creatio ex nihilo! Pretty much got forced into doing Descartes. Plato would have been awesome!
I did the theodicies question (thank you OCR) and the one about 'creatio ex nihilo'... so glad it's all over now! Yay! :elefant:
Intelligent Design is a large part of the teleological argument, they just phrased it differently so they're not repeating a question. Basically, the question was 'Explain William Paley's teleological argument'. :smile:

I avoid the Descartes question for the exact reason! I agree with you about the theodicies, what an awesome question !

Intelligent design is different from the teleological argument - it's been applied post-evolutionary theory as a combat, where Paley's argument is argument for an 'intelligent designer'. It's not quite the same, 'intelligent design' implies God has a plan in evolution.
I did the creatio ex nihilo and theodicies question - totally chuffed with the questions. I was going to do the Descartes as I'm pretty good with the ontological argument but I couldn't remember his exact predicates and didn't want to sound waffley. Hope everyone aced it!
Original post by 42wallabyway
I did the theodicies question (thank you OCR) and the one about 'creatio ex nihilo'... so glad it's all over now! Yay! :elefant:

What did you put for creatio ex nihilo?
I did the creatio ex nihilo and theodicies question - totally chuffed with the questions. I was going to do the Descartes as I'm pretty good with the ontological argument but I couldn't remember his exact predicates and didn't want to sound waffley. Hope everyone aced it!
either I smashed it or did terrible
normally there's no inbeteeen for Phil+ethics

seems like I'm with the majority on ethic who picked 1+4. lol at the examiners if they think I'm doing an applied question when there's theory only questions . I winged the Descartes question, never expected him to come up yet still managed to write a fair bit about him, I surprised myself. the theodicy questions were a bit wierd I never anticipated writing both of them

for the Kant question did everyone basically just write his whole theory and just use the word duty a lot to make it sound like you're answering the question?
and also, on the util question, was it all about act and rule utilitarianism? I didn't mention the differences between mill and bentham too much
Original post by izzabellezi
What did you put for creatio ex nihilo?

I explained the concept of creation from nothing, and Biblical support of it... I think it was a bit waffley, but oh well :rolleyes: For the second part, I talked about free will for quite a while...
Reply 17
Original post by izzabellezi
Intelligent design is different from the teleological argument - it's been applied post-evolutionary theory as a combat, where Paley's argument is argument for an 'intelligent designer'. It's not quite the same, 'intelligent design' implies God has a plan in evolution.

Oh ****.

The question was fairly ambiguous, do you reckon I'd still get the marks for talking about Paley's teleological argument in relation to the concept of Intelligent Design?

:frown:
Reply 18
Oh ****.

The question was fairly ambiguous, do you reckon I'd still get the marks for talking about Paley's teleological argument in relation to the concept of Intelligent Design?

:frown:

Two of my friends did this and I think it will be fine. The Teleological Argument is the same as Intelligent Design, it's just a bit older. You won't get full marks or anything but you will certainly get some. I think it would be like do Utilitarianism and only talking about Bentham (or at least that's my analogy anyway!). In addition to this only positive marking is used so if you put in some irrelevent stuff then it doesn't matter.

I'd love to get some more people's opinion on this though...
Original post by ravishingrick69
either I smashed it or did terrible
normally there's no inbeteeen for Phil+ethics

seems like I'm with the majority on ethic who picked 1+4. lol at the examiners if they think I'm doing an applied question when there's theory only questions . I winged the Descartes question, never expected him to come up yet still managed to write a fair bit about him, I surprised myself. the theodicy questions were a bit wierd I never anticipated writing both of them

for the Kant question did everyone basically just write his whole theory and just use the word duty a lot to make it sound like you're answering the question?
and also, on the util question, was it all about act and rule utilitarianism? I didn't mention the differences between mill and bentham too much

I have to admit, for Kant, I definitely wrote 'duty' a lot to address the question, but I think i managed to link it alright.
I mentioned the principles of bentham and mill and how they differ, i think their differences are fairly important, but i wouldn't say they were vital, as long as you got a good overview of the principles.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending