Well, how'd everyone get on?

Any answers anyone would like to share?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The last question was horrible :/
Reply 2
Original post by chris27blue
The last question was horrible :/

Agreed! I didn't particularly like the lift question either, but I got an answer that seems reasonable, so hopefully it's right! I thought the rest of the paper was very manageable though. This was a repeat for me, I already have 79% in Mechanics, so hopefully everyone did poorly so scaling is very nice to those of us who got the trickier questions (bar Q7) - that was just a nightmare..
Reply 3
79% thats really good :smile:. I dont think i will be repeating it if i got that grade. The lift question was ok. But overall the paper itself is very hard and its very different from the other papers that ive done. The questions are new and different. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Q.7 is the pole one.. The pole
Vaulter guy

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I got the last question because a couple of my friends got the same answer as me (71.something N and 121 degrees)
I really messed up the lift question. I couldn't remember if you just used the combined weights of the lift and the people or if you had to use the weight of the lift and the normal reaction. Unfortunately I chose to do the latter which turns out to be wrong so I got an answer of 6 people when it should have been 8.
I also got the two masses wrong in the momentum question. I got 6.3kg and 18.6kg (or thereabouts), but everyone else seems to have got 4kg and 12kg. I'm almost certain I got the method right so I must have transcribed a number wrong or done some dodgy subtraction of something.

Other than those two questions I think I got the rest correct. Can't even remember the first 2 questions so hopefully they're fine, but by comparing my answers with other people I'm confident I got the total distance, the inclined plane and the last question right so I'm hoping it's an A.
Reply 6
Original post by Savstar90
What was question 7?
I was fine with the vectors and the moments questions! it was just that last question involving the pulley. Know I've messed that up as the weight AND tensions were both unknown.
For me it was a retake aswell, and i felt SO much more prepared this time, so i'm kicking myself in the foot at how i feel i've messed up on silly questions! gr.

Vectors isn't on CCEA M1? Wrong board?
Reply 7
Original post by TheSilentFez
I think I got the last question because a couple of my friends got the same answer as me (71.something N and 121 degrees)
I really messed up the lift question. I couldn't remember if you just used the combined weights of the lift and the people or if you had to use the weight of the lift and the normal reaction. Unfortunately I chose to do the latter which turns out to be wrong so I got an answer of 6 people when it should have been 8.
I also got the two masses wrong in the momentum question. I got 6.3kg and 18.6kg (or thereabouts), but everyone else seems to have got 4kg and 12kg. I'm almost certain I got the method right so I must have transcribed a number wrong or done some dodgy subtraction of something.

Other than those two questions I think I got the rest correct. Can't even remember the first 2 questions so hopefully they're fine, but by comparing my answers with other people I'm confident I got the total distance, the inclined plane and the last question right so I'm hoping it's an A.

I got 4 and 12 for the momentum too! I also got the inclined plane proof, so I'd assume because of that, my previous 8 mark answer was also right! I got 11 people for the lift question, which makes sense when you think about it logically. Q7 was a nightmare - what was you answer for part 2?
Reply 8
I got 71.9N for Q7 and 7 people for the lift
Original post by JasonH27
I got 4 and 12 for the momentum too! I also got the inclined plane proof, so I'd assume because of that, my previous 8 mark answer was also right! I got 11 people for the lift question, which makes sense when you think about it logically. Q7 was a nightmare - what was you answer for part 2?

I've heard people get 6,8,10 and now 11 for the lifts one... No idea which one is right. :s-smilie:
I got 6 using my method which I now know to be flawed and I got 8 for what I believe is the right method (which I scribbled out) as did a friend of mine...but it's possible that we're both wrong.
I'm a bit disappointed with the momentum one. After that lifts question I couldn't afford to make any stupid mistakes, but it turns out I have. Knowing me I probably wrote 3 instead of 4 or some such stupidity/

For Q7 Part 2 I got Q to be 71N (it had decimals, but can't remember them) and it made a 121 degree angle with the pole. My friend got this too so hopefully we're right.
Q2 (i) u = 14.7 m/s
Q2 (ii) s = 11.0 m (3sf)

Q3 (i) 7120 N
Q3 (ii) Maximum number of people = 7
Q3 (iv) Cable is inelastic. Treat lift and people as particles

Q4 (i) t = 3/2, 6 seconds
Q4 (ii) s = (2/3)t^3 - (15/2)t^2 + 18t metres
Q4 (iii) 379/12 metres

Q5 (i) v = -5 m/s
Q5 (ii) m = 4 or 12 kg

Q6 (ii) a = (-8y - 6) (y = coefficient of friction)
Q6 (iii) To get answer, use v = u + at, rearrange to get u = -(a)t = -(-8y - 6)T = (8y + 6)T

Q7 (ii) P = 48.3 N (3sf)
Q7 (iii) Q = 59.2 degrees to the pole (answer could also be 120.8 if you took the angle to the other side)

Let me know what you think! (I might have forgotten about some questions, like Q1 :L)
Original post by student1696
I got 71.9N for Q7 and 7 people for the lift

Oh dear, we've had 6,7,8,10 and 11 as answers for the lift one now... :frown::frown:
I got 6.9 something but rounded it down to 6. I'm pretty sure my method was totally wrong though so it doesn't really matter.

Anyone have any idea what the grade boundaries are usually like for M1? I can't find anything on the CCEA website. If my reasoning is sound, I've got about 66/75 which is worse than I've ever done in any past paper, but do you think that will be an A?
Reply 12
can this paperrr get any worseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee????????????

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!1:angry:

the moment Qn! wth was that???

omgggg
:s-smilie:
Original post by TheSilentFez

Anyone have any idea what the grade boundaries are usually like for M1? I can't find anything on the CCEA website. If my reasoning is sound, I've got about 66/75 which is worse than I've ever done in any past paper, but do you think that will be an A?

Usually > 80% for an A
> 90% for an A* in the overall A level
Original post by GingerCodeMan
Usually > 80% for an A
> 90% for an A* in the overall A level

Does scaling ever come into play as much as it did at GCSE?
Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've got an A. Hopefully they'll give us a nice C1 and C2 so I can secure my A overall at AS.
Reply 15
Original post by GingerCodeMan
Q2 (i) u = 14.7 m/s
Q2 (ii) s = 11.0 m (3sf)

Q3 (i) 7120 N
Q3 (ii) Maximum number of people = 7
Q3 (iv) Cable is inelastic. Treat lift and people as particles

Q4 (i) t = 3/2, 6 seconds
Q4 (ii) s = (2/3)t^3 - (15/2)t^2 + 18t metres
Q4 (iii) 379/12 metres

Q5 (i) v = -5 m/s
Q5 (ii) m = 4 or 12 kg

Q6 (ii) a = (-8y - 6) (y = coefficient of friction)
Q6 (iii) To get answer, use v = u + at, rearrange to get u = -(a)t = -(-8y - 6)T = (8y + 6)T

Q7 (ii) P = 48.3 N (3sf)
Q7 (iii) Q = 59.2 degrees to the pole (answer could also be 120.8 if you took the angle to the other side)

Let me know what you think! (I might have forgotten about some questions, like Q1 :L)

Are these your own answers?
I did horrible, what % of the as is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
These are my answers:

1. P = 5.32N, Q = 10.5N
2. i) u = 29.4
ii) s = 1.5m
3. i) T=7120N
ii) 11 people
iii) particle - air resistance etc.
4. i) 1.5secs, 6secs
ii) s = 2/3t^3 - 15/2t^2 + 18t
iii) 31.6m
5. i) v = 13m/s
ii) m = 4kg or 12kg
6. i) diagram
ii) a= -8u(co-eff of friction) -6
iii) proof - which i was able to derive correctly, which would lead me to believe 6ii) to be correct also
7. i) diagram
ii) P=48.2N
iii) 88.4N, 81.3 degrees - completely made this answer up in the last 10 minutes, I know it's not correct but I hate leaving blanks, so I did it as a normal resolving force Q with the hope of some method marks at least!
Original post by JasonH27
Are these your own answers?

Yeah, these are my own answers.

I was really surprised that they took the question paper off us, did that happen to anyone else?
Original post by UnknownError
I did horrible, what % of the as is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly a third

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending