The Student Room Group

OCR (not MEI) C1 13/05/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i thought the exam was fairly straight firward except for the last question were i got k to be 3 and a lot of people i spoke to got -5, this stopped me from completing the last part
Reply 21
I got k as -5 but I messed up the last question and got something stupid like (8,-717). I also messed up the PQ question, I got root 10 but apparently the answer was 4.5
Original post by BankOfPigs
If I recall, you got a nice quadratic in that question, by dividing by 1-x then rearranging into (x+2)^2 = 0

I got -2 -27 as well, since it was meant to be tangent I'm pretty sure it was meant to only have one point.

I think there are two methods for finding k, which i got as -5.
You can either use the formula and get 18 = 6+-root84-12k, which gets you k as -5, or sub it into the dy / dx equation with x as -3.

Why would you divide by x-1? 0:

I got 3x^2 +6x=0 so x(x+2)^2 =0
So x=0 or x=-2
Reply 23
i got k=3 which is definatley wrong
for the co-or dinates i got the length to be 4.5, (1,0)
Reply 24
Original post by eggfriedrice
Why would you divide by x-1? 0:

I got 3x^2 +6x=0 so x(x+2)^2 =0
So x=0 or x=-2

Snap, but I got -4 for k instead of -5. Do you guys think i'll get marks for finding value of k? I expanded, diffrentiated but must have missed a 1 somewhere. Also for the tangent last question i got x=0 or x=-2, so got -2 as the x co-ordinate but -9 as value of y due to my k being wrong, will i get any marks for these questions?
Reply 25
Original post by greyed96
i thought the exam was fairly straight firward except for the last question were i got k to be 3 and a lot of people i spoke to got -5, this stopped me from completing the last part

I thought the same but got k as -4:frown: Must have missed a 1 somewhere. Correct method and ecf marks should follow though:wink:
Reply 26
So im guessing (1,18) and 1,0) for A is wrong that that k isn't 4..... :frown:.
Some plz put up an unofficial mark... Before I cry my self dry ....
So no one self found it really hard .....

Sorry don't mean to sound depressing but I'm just really annoyed and upset....
Original post by cheetahs56
Snap, but I got -4 for k instead of -5. Do you guys think i'll get marks for finding value of k? I expanded, diffrentiated but must have missed a 1 somewhere. Also for the tangent last question i got x=0 or x=-2, so got -2 as the x co-ordinate but -9 as value of y due to my k being wrong, will i get any marks for these questions?

I don't think you'll get the marks for calculating the wrong k value, but you'll get some method parts.
For the second question, you might get error carried forward for the method.
Reply 28
Do you guys think the grade boundaries will be high?
It wasn't a bad paper :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Aapi27
So im guessing (1,18) and 1,0) for A is wrong that that k isn't 4..... :frown:.
Some plz put up an unofficial mark... Before I cry my self dry ....
So no one self found it really hard .....

Sorry don't mean to sound depressing but I'm just really annoyed and upset....

I found it hard, and I messed a lot of it up, but everyone else at my school found it alright. And you might get method marks for A
Reply 30
Original post by eggfriedrice
I don't think you'll get the marks for calculating the wrong k value, but you'll get some method parts.
For the second question, you might get error carried forward for the method.

Yep that's what I was thinking lol, knew i wouldn't get answer marks:tongue:. Was thinking 4 or 5 out of the 7? And would i lose an answer mark for the second question? I know my method was right, hopefully i'll get 4, maybe 3 out of the 5 marks there as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
can we compile a question paper together on here if we're allowed? these answers will be pretty useless unless everyone remembers what they wrote, and i'm sure not everyone will =/ i have a bad memory
Reply 32
1i 12route5
1iii 5route5
(-3/2,17/4) was the minimum point
Reply 33
Guys i think the grade boundaries might be pretty high
i got k as -5
i didn't understand the last question so definately lost 5 marks there :/
Original post by flyhigh99
Guys i think the grade boundaries might be pretty high

I agree. The paper wasn't particularly hard. );
Original post by Z.M.1
What value did people get for k? And how?
I expanded the brackets, then differentiated it and said when dy/dx = 0 its a stationary point, then subbed in x=-3 and found k to be 49. I know that's wrong but would I get any method marks? Thanks :smile:

first time i did it i got 49. I believe it was because when you had -(4-k)x and you expanded it, you didnt change it to +k. thats what i had done anyway.
Reply 37
What did people get for the length PQ? on y=4 on the x^2 graph? I got 11/2, I heard it might be 9/2 though
Original post by jt663
What did people get for the length PQ? on y=4 on the x^2 graph? I got 11/2, I heard it might be 9/2 though

Yup, I got 9/2 too.
Reply 39
Does Mr M have the answers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending