The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by whyumadtho
And why is this a problem? Is all separation from the majority a problem? Children being separated from adults? The super wealthy being separated from the lower-middle wealth brackets? Students spending their time playing fantasy card RPGs being separated from nightclubbers? Vegans being separated from omnivores?

It's also worth noting that these schools are without "white British" students; it did not specify whether or not there are 'white' students there at all.

The biggest majority, that goes across all those cultures and classes you just described, is white British people, from all classes and cultures.

Being separated at such a base level from the majority of a society that you live in is a problem, yes.
Original post by thesabbath
This is happening unilaterally in the UK, in the USA, and a few other White countries around the world. It is not happening in Asian nations, it is not happening in African nations. The only conclusion that can be drawn is that White people will eventually disappear.

Anyone celebrating this is de facto anti-white, ie racist.

Who cares what colour skin people have? We're all human for ****'s sake. I don't like the concept of a distinction between people based on skin colour anyway. For descriptive purposes, sure, but it doesn't actually MEAN anything.

People should just stop alienating each other.
I read this article on dailymail and I don't see the big deal. I have worked in schools where is 100% white British. Big deal.
Reply 83
Original post by SHallowvale
I'll remind you that there are plenty of schools which have no ''non-white'' students. Yet nobody cares about that, do they? These types of schools exist on both ends of the spectrum.

And no, this is not segregation. These students are not being seperated because of their race, it is just how things have turned out. There is no reason to be scared by this. Most likely, the areas around these schools consist of a population whereas ''non-white'' people make up a majority. Like I said, this is to be expected in a country whereas there exist minorities in significant numbers.

While the majority remains white this is inevitable.

It is segregation. The ghettos in American inner cities have not been made deliberatly but most would view this segregation as a problem. Lack of assimilation into society is definitely not good
Personally I believe nationality and skin colour should not even be thought about, also there are people in britain who complain about foreigners taking their jobs etc, thats because foreigners come, work harder, cheaper and frankly put 10x more effort into looking for jobs and working. Just because you're british you cannot expect to be handed a job
Do people who use the daily mail as their main source always know their going to get flamed or are there some who actually view it as independent and honest?
Original post by bustabust
The biggest majority, that goes across all those cultures and classes you just described, is white British people, from all classes and cultures.

Being separated at such a base level from the majority of a society that you live in is a problem, yes.
The unit of culture is the individual, not "white". This is not British society:

Being exposed to a pixel does not mean you are 'integrated' into the rest of the circle; you still remain separate from all the other pixels with their individual cultural attributes. Every new pixel/individual exposes you to a new cultural element; British society is not a culturally homogeneous mass. There's a reason you're not friends with everyone you meet: everyone is different and some people are incompatible with you; consequently, you mutually decide to avoid each other in your social affairs.

Is this a fair statement: "I understand white British people; I was friends with a few in secondary school :yy:", or is it a lazy generalisation based on a stereotype?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by MangoFreak
Who cares what colour skin people have? We're all human for ****'s sake. I don't like the concept of a distinction between people based on skin colour anyway. For descriptive purposes, sure, but it doesn't actually MEAN anything.

It means a lot. Different races have entirely different cultures, generally different beliefs, different backgrounds, societal constructs, languages, whatever, Pretending we are all the same is stupid. Differences between people are what make us interesting.
While the majority remains white this is inevitable.

It is segregation. The ghettos in American inner cities have not been made deliberatly but most would view this segregation as a problem. Lack of assimilation into society is definitely not good

And what are you going to do about this? We're talking about the UK here, not the US.
Original post by playingcards
No. I’m saying I couldn’t give a damn what the average shade of British skin is. It’s an utterly meaningless distinction and doesn’t reveal a thing about the individual or their values or culture, and I simply don’t care about it.

I think of skin colour in the same way as I think of height. I don’t care if the average height is 5’10 and becomes 5’11 in ten years time. I’m not going to pretend shadowy forces are trying to exterminate short people. And I don’t hate people who are shorter than 5’10. I’m not anti-5’10 or pro-5’11.

It just doesn’t matter.

Original post by MangoFreak

Remember the Newspeak dictionary:

Diverse = less White
Multicultural = less British
Vibrant = fewer Whites

When we notice this we're called "racist".

You're saying skin colour doesn't matter in an effort to cover up the fact that you are anti-White.
It means a lot. Different races have entirely different cultures, generally different beliefs, different backgrounds, societal constructs, languages, whatever, Pretending we are all the same is stupid. Differences between people are what make us interesting.
The unit of culture is the individual and cultural differentiation exists between individuals. Have you ever encountered somebody who is identical to you?
Reply 91
Original post by TheIsotope
Personally I believe nationality and skin colour should not even be thought about, also there are people in britain who complain about foreigners taking their jobs etc, thats because foreigners come, work harder, cheaper and frankly put 10x more effort into looking for jobs and working. Just because you're british you cannot expect to be handed a job

For someone who claims they do not think about nationality, you come off as pretty racist

If I said (This is not my opinion) that all foreigners are lazy and cant be arsed looking for jobs, you would not be happy.
Address this post.
Reply 93
Original post by whyumadtho
The unit of culture is the individual and cultural differentiation exists between individuals. Have you ever encountered somebody who is identical to you?

No, but I share a lot more in common with the white people I have met than say Pakistanis.
It certainly is poor integration.
Original post by thesabbath
If you're white British you're advocating the gradual genocide of your own race.

Genocide? How? Which white people are going to die as a result of this?

So essentially, you’re conflating skin colour with culture. Even though they clearly aren’t the same thing.

Skin colour does not determine how someone lives their life, what they believe, the language they speak, the values they hold.
Reply 97

Wee bit egocentrical, but ok.

As I have already said, I firmly believe cultural differences exist more between members of different races than within a race. The integration problem would be that people are spending their formative years away from the culture of the majority, which *could* leave them disadvantaged or prejudiced when they, later in life, have to deal with more White British people in their work/uni/whatever.

There are various cultures within a "racial" culture, and they're not necessarily restricted to one race.

So many cultures have disappeared over the thousands of years we've existed, that's what happens. No one is actively attempting to destroy "white" culture (white culture not at all being exclusively white), and frankly there's nothing to suggest that the "white" culture would not exist in a future where the skin colour has disappeared.
No, but I share a lot more in common with the white people I have met than say Pakistanis.
How does this support your assertion that culture only exists amongst discrete 'groups', with differentiation occurring between these 'groups'?

Dominant interests also vary between individuals.

Latest

Trending

Trending