The Student Room Group

OCR (not MEI) C1 13/05/13

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, same, Some sort of subbing in, and then I put the co-ordinates back into the original curve equation at the end and it equalled 0, so I though it was right :s-smilie:
For the last question, I got (-2,-27) but I used a different method, I used the factor theorem instead of differentiation, will this affect my mark because it's not part of the c1 syllabus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 222
Original post by metabalo
I liked this paper. It wasn't too bad. For the last question I got (-2,-27) however I got a gut feeling I wrote the solution in the wrong space. Did the last question where it asked for the tangent run from the last page inside the booklet onto the back? Because I didn't run onto the back for that question and I got a terrible feeling I wrote it in the wrong place

You do not have to write the answer in any specific part of the answer booklet, only next to the correct question number. Congrats for getting (-2,-27) as that is right.
Reply 223
Original post by styles4777
What did you all get for the minimum value? for 3(x+1.5)^2+3.25 ???

That is correct.
Reply 224
Original post by eggfriedrice
Yup that's what I though.

Apart from leaving two answers at the end, I think I got the rest right unless I made a silly mistake somewhere.

Hows your mechanical engineering scholarship application going? :wink:

I finished the exam in 40min and spent the rest of the time checking thoroughly and going over question by question. I sent my scholarship off ages ago like in march :lol: but my reference is being sorted out by my school and sent to IMechE all I need to do is focus and get the grades and hope they liked my engineering enthusiasm lol. How's yours going?
Reply 225
Original post by Anubis2
Might want to check your answer as it was -2,-27. First surd being 12(5^0.5).

i meant -2, and yeah, i did get the first surd lol
Original post by StephHowarth
Yeah, same, Some sort of subbing in, and then I put the co-ordinates back into the original curve equation at the end and it equalled 0, so I though it was right :s-smilie:

yeah, i assumed it was right because all the factorising and subbing in seemed to be rolling out :/ fingers crossed anyway :smile:
Original post by styles4777
sadly no :'( it said with a b and c as integers :/ )

Original post by thebigman1
it is but the question asked for them all as integers so think you had to times through by 2 :/

Original post by Big-Daddy
Unfortunately not (though I may have been silly enough to do that too!) They say "integers" in the question. 1/2 is not an integer. Maximum loss is 1 I'm sure.

Oh FFS:frown::frown::frown::frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 228
Original post by emmalouisereid
For the last question, I got (-2,-27) but I used a different method, I used the factor theorem instead of differentiation, will this affect my mark because it's not part of the c1 syllabus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

probably, but you'll still get the answer mark but lose some method marks I think..
Yeah :smile: but if we are wrong, I am hoping we get some method marks, because I did some differentiating and subbing in :smile:

I don't see how we were wrong though :frown: do you remember doing it like this
x^3+3x^2=4
x^2(x+3)=4
x=1 ?
Original post by daisyrchds
yeah, i assumed it was right because all the factorising and subbing in seemed to be rolling out :/ fingers crossed anyway :smile:

Yeah, wasn't it supposed to be a tangent at those co-ordinates aswell? So when I subbed in and got 0, it just look right :smile:
Original post by a10
I finished the exam in 40min and spent the rest of the time checking thoroughly and going over question by question. I sent my scholarship off ages ago like in march :lol: but my reference is being sorted out by my school and sent to IMechE all I need to do is focus and get the grades and hope they liked my engineering enthusiasm lol. How's yours going?

Same, I was tempted to ask for scrap paper to do the test again and see if I get the same answers, but instead I just decided to check through 3 times. Luckily I spotted and corrected a few mistakes.
Oh wow, their application thing opened early then. I haven't even touched my application in a few weeks lol, I literally have half a box to fill and send off.
Reply 232
From what I can remember so far:

Unparseable latex formula:

[br][br][br]1i) 12\sqrt{5}[br][br][br]ii) 4\sqrt{5}[br][br][br]iii) 5\sqrt{5}[br][br][br][br][br]2) x = 1/2 or -1[br][br]3i) -12x^-^3 + 2[br][br]ii) 36x^-^4 [br][br]

I will edit this post until Mr M posts the unofficial solutions. Hope everyone did as well as they hoped. Best of luck for the future exams!
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah, wasn't it supposed to be a tangent at those co-ordinates aswell? So when I subbed in and got 0, it just look right :smile:

yeah, now that i think about it i think i differentiated the equation then equated the differential to 9 because they would have the same gradient?
Original post by John Dogg
I don't see how we were wrong though :frown: do you remember doing it like this
x^3+3x^2=4
x^2(x+3)=4
x=1 ?

For the life of me I can't remember, but I definitely made them equal to each other and did something from there :smile: I think we will definitely get method marks, we may even be right, but I never think I have done it right haha :smile:
I can see 59/72, what do you guys think the grade will be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 236
Original post by Dugald
1i 12route5
1iii 5route5
(-3/2,17/4) was the minimum point

'Fraid you're wrong, the last is (-3/2, 13/4).
I can see 59/72, what do you think grade boundaries will be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daisyrchds
yeah, now that i think about it i think i differentiated the equation then equated the differential to 9 because they would have the same gradient?

Yeah I definitely used the fact that they had the same gradient :smile:
Original post by cheetahs56
I can see 59/72, what do you think grade boundaries will be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same. I feel like crap. I so so hope you can lose 15 and get an A

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending