The Student Room Group

What vehicle was you taking your driving lessons in

Just wanted to know,ive recently started and im learning in a Vauxhall Astra SXI my friends thought that its abit sporting to learn in but i think im getting through it well..

/Why the negs?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Citroen DS3.

They only are available in 1.6 models.

It's a diesel.
(edited 10 years ago)
Citroen C4 on lessons and a Kia c'eed estate at other times. I think they were both diesel.
I learnt in a couple of cars. My instructor had a renault clio. Then he got rid of that and got a ford fiesta.
You think your car is a bit sporty to learn to drive in- there are a few bill plant driving instructor cars round my area that are audis. I wouldnt have minded learning in one of them.
Original post by BritBoyWonder
Just wanted to know,ive recently started and im learning in a Vauxhall Astra SXI my friends thought that its abit sporting to learn in but i think im getting through it well..

I never thought I would find anyone who considered an Astra SXI as sporting. Did they say why they think this? As it blows my mind.

*disclaimer*there may or may not be an exaggeration on how surprised I am*disclamer*
My instructor had a 1.6 Ford Fiesta, and I had learner insurance on my Gran's Vauxhall Vectra 1.8
Reply 6
2008 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2l

Then instructor replaced it with a 2010 Vauxhall Corsa 1.0l I think.
Reply 7
2009 Fiesta 1.6 TDCi, passed on 11th September (interesting date lol)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Nissan Sunny! (1992)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Renault Clio 09, it was way too slow, almost felt asleep in some of my lessons lol and my license shows I passed on 11/11/11 :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Renault clio with my instructor and my first car, peugeot 106. I'm glad I have power steering now though ha ha :smile:
Reply 11
Fiat Grande Punto for lessons, Peugeot 206 at home :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Renault Clio - Diesel - might've been 1.6L
My instructor had a 2005 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi which I hated and I had a 1990 K10 Nissan Micra 1.0, brilliant little car.
With my first instructor I had this:

A Ford Fiesta 1.6L diesel (TDCi).

With my second instructor I had this:

A VW Golf 1.6 diesel (TDi)
Original post by Ice Constricter
With my first instructor I had this:

A Ford Fiesta 1.6L diesel (TDCi).

With my second instructor I had this:

A VW Golf 1.6 diesel (TDi)

The Golf was alot nicer to drive I take it?
Original post by James A
The Golf was alot nicer to drive I take it?

The steering on the Fiesta was a lot sharper and responsive (Fords these days are praised for their great handling), but even though the steering on the Golf was more vague it trumped the fiesta in every other department. Like how:

it was more forgiving on the clutch (harder to stall)

it had a slicker gearbox

it was more powerful than the Fiesta

it was a smoother ride

and the list goes on. The only other thing I could think of was that the Fiesta was a lot easier to sit comfortably in because of its wider range of seating positions, although the Fiesta was 5 years newer (2005-2006 Golf compared to a 2010-2011 Fiesta).
At first it was a 1.0 Nissan Micra and then that stopped working so then it was a 1.2 Nissan Micra. Both were about ten years old.

I did not particularly enjoy joining dual carriageways or national speed limit roads in the first Micra!
fiat grande punto 2006.

A Vauxhall Astra SXI sporty? really?
Original post by BritBoyWonder

Lessons were done in an 07 plate Ford Fiesta diesel.

However I spent far more time driving in my own 57 plate Mazda 2 petrol than I did in lessons, and did my test in my own car.

Quick Reply