The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Isn't it about time that attitudes changed towards rape?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Cable
OK.

But the thing is that rape committed by women is already punished but just classed under "sexual assault" instead of rape. And that needs to change.

Yeah, there will be a low conviction rate. But that's the way things are unfortunately. However, changing the law for women to be able to commit rape may be a step in the right direction to tackle rape and reduce it.

That's kind of exactly what I said :s-smilie:
Original post by Eljamaispa
Can't remember what I originally said and I can't be bothered to check. But if a women doesn't have a penis she cannot 'rape' according to UK law's definition because it needs a PENIS involved. If she can be convicted of rape for other reasons (assist, has a penis/is trans-women etc), then fair enough.

My original point was women can be convicted of rape which I've proven is true

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 122
Original post by LewisG123
My original point was women can be convicted of rape which I've proven is true

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by LewisG123
Well you have a poor understanding of law then, if you're convicted of rape then in the eyes of the law you are a rapist therefore under the law women can rape

Posted from TSR Mobile

You say here that women can rape...
Reply 123
women should be done for rape like a man would be if they forcefully erect a mans penis and mount their vagina onto the penis without his permission. it cant just be sexuall assault.
Reply 124
Original post by abc:)
That's kind of exactly what I said :s-smilie:

Sorry my bad :redface:
Reply 125
Original post by Shockolate
Because of the 'rape culture' there is in the world...and they also live in a society where people always try to shift the focus away from the behaviour of the perpetrator onto that of the victim - and it's this culture that needs to be challenged.
Sorry for the late reply. Been quite busy.

Can you give a detailed explanation of the "rape culture"? Or is it the culture of blaming the victim that you're referring to? And I haven't noticed society always shifting the blame to the victim, except people who think men can't be raped by women or should take it like a man and a minority of people who think a woman deserved to be raped for dressing a certain way.

From what I have seen, the problem with female perpetrators of men, isn't that they aren't always given the title of 'rapist', as they are still condemned as seriously sexually assaulting someone, and it is still recognised that the man has not consented to sex. I also don't think that just because women can't be given the title rapist, that it's going to encourage more women to violate men.

I personally believe it's part of the problem. The thing is that people associate having sex with someone against their will with the word "rape". And when only men can be convicted of rape, it leads to people thinking rape is male problem. That only men need to be told not to rape. And since there is not much pressure and condemnation against female rapists, it arguably makes it harder for male victims of rape (by women) to come out and report it.

I'm not saying that changing the law to allow women to be convicted of rape will automatically change everyone's perceptions/attitudes towards rape. But it's a step in the right direction imo. Of course, extra work needs to be done to educate people about rape and change attitudes towards it (e.g. that a man is weak for being raped).

There is also a huge problem in that it is seen as normal for men to sexually assault women, and that it's assumed that men are allowed access to a woman's body, and that it is seen as the victim having made a wrong choice rather than realising that it is the perpetrator who has made the decision to rape/sexually assault. Which is the main problem for female victims of males when it comes to getting justice.

Can you give some evidence for this please?
Reply 126
Original post by Steevee
Surely you're not serious?

thats what I was taught in pshe lessons
Reply 127
Original post by SannaS

That rape doesn't hurt men?
Reply 128
Original post by SannaS

Well your teacher was an idiot then. If it was just physical pain that was the issue then rape would be no more serious than assault.
Reply 129
Original post by SannaS

"Rape" against a man generally is forced penile penetration of the anus. Tell me that wouldn't hurt.

Besides, as someone has already said, the physical pain alone isn't what makes rape so horrific, it's the mental scarring of the experience too. If pain was inherent to rape then "penile penetration of the mouth" wouldn't be considered rape, which it actually is.
I am gonna have to agree with zebracakefreak on my situation. My boyfriend is serving 15 years and as she said, as much as I want him home, but what he did deserves jail time. I may not agree on quite that long of a sentence. But what he did was very, very bad. I want him to be there to learn what he lost by doing what he did, get the help he so desperatly needs, and make sure that when he is released, he stays that way. I love him, so much, but his punishment fit his crime. I wrote a post about this issue in my web site My News blog Thank You

Latest

Trending

Trending