The Student Room Group

Missing an exam due to illness

I have an ongoing illness that has effected my work throughout the year. I'm applying for special consideration as it will have an impact on my grades (my doctor is supplying a note) but i'm worried about what will happen if i'm not well enough to take the exam. I know college will always urge me to take an exam but I have informed them of my position so that should help my case I guess if I do miss an exam.

So, if I miss an exam because i'm not feeling up to it and I can provide evidence for this reason in the form of a doctor's note, what wil happen? Will it be based on my predicted grades? Or is is something like SC where you get a % advantage? Or will I just have to retake? I'm in my finall year of college so I have no chance to retake without retaking the whole year. :/

Thanks for any help :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Kindred
I have an ongoing illness that has effected my work throughout the year. I'm applying for special consideration as it will have an impact on my grades (my doctor is supplying a note) but i'm worried about what will happen if i'm not well enough to take the exam. I know college will always urge me to take an exam but I have informed them of my position so that should help my case I guess if I do miss an exam.

So, if I miss an exam because i'm not feeling up to it and I can provide evidence for this reason in the form of a doctor's note, what wil happen? Will it be based on my predicted grades? Or is is something like SC where you get a % advantage? Or will I just have to retake? I'm in my finall year of college so I have no chance to retake without retaking the whole year. :/

It's hard to give any definite advice as so much depends on the circumstances. If you are not well then exams can be arranged with rest breaks or at home/ in hospital to make them achievable, pus an application for special consideration (not likely to get you more than 2-3% more). Talk to the exams officer about what can be arranged if your health deteriorates. You can only really be given the marks for missing a whole exam if you were completely unable to take it.
Reply 2
Thanks, i'll look into the breaks cos they sound useful. Do you have an idea what would happen if I couldn't take the exam at all cos I wasn't well enough. I don't think it will come to that but I want to know I have all my facts before I make a mistake :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Kindred
Thanks, i'll look into the breaks cos they sound useful. Do you have an idea what would happen if I couldn't take the exam at all cos I wasn't well enough. I don't think it will come to that but I want to know I have all my facts before I make a mistake :smile:

As long you have taken at least 1 A2 unit it is possible, given enough evidence, to get marks awarded for the unit(s) you have missed and so an overall grade as similar as possible to what you would have got had you been well enough to attend. I've seen it happen several times, normally because a student is in hospital and too unwell even to attempt the exam there.
Reply 4
Thanks a lot. That's really helped put my mind to rest :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah, there's procedure in place for this sort of thing. If you have evidence, there shouldn't really be a problem, and considering you don't have an opportunity to retake, I'd presume that (if your illness is severe and preventing you from doing the exam) you will be awarded your predicted grade.

Hope this helps, good luck for your results in August!
Reply 6
My son had an emergency operation the day before his A2's. He was in ICU for several days and completely unable to sit them. We have supplied school with all the necessary documentation including a letter from his surgeon, the pathology report which shows he had peritonitis. Surely with such a life and death situation the exam board will award my son with his predicted grades or at the very least his AS grades.

We had been worried previously when earlier in the year he had being diagnosed with Crohns. Since Easter 2013 he health had deteriorated culminating in the above emergency for a perforated bowel.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by aworriedmum
My son had an emergency operation the day before his A2's. He was in ICU for several days and completely unable to sit them. We have supplied school with all the necessary documentation including a letter from his surgeon, the pathology report which shows he had peritonitis. Surely with such a life and death situation the exam board will award my son with his predicted grades or at the very least his AS grades.

He has to have done at least 1 of the A2 units in a subject to be awarded an overall grade. This could have been an exam unit done in January, or a coursework unit submitted in the summer, but if he hasn't done at least 1 A2 unit in a subject then they will not give him the overall grade.
Reply 8
Providing you have sat the previous exams/completed course work you will get your predicted grade usually. This happened to me during my A2 year as I was in hospital during the exam but as college was fully aware of the situation a predicted grade was awarded.

I hope everything goes well and you get the grades you want.

Quick Reply

Latest