The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Ethics B604 13/05/13 - PREDICTION!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I thought the 6 mark questions were the most challenging simply because there wasn't much to say. I think it went well overall though! What is "easy death"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
can anyone remember the questions from poverty and wealth/peace and justice/equality?
Reply 22
Original post by Tronick
I thought the 6 mark questions were the most challenging simply because there wasn't much to say. I think it went well overall though! What is "easy death"?

I think the "easy death" is euthanasia.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by allie234
can anyone remember the questions from poverty and wealth/peace and justice/equality?

Poverty and Wealth:
a) can't remember :P
b) Give two causes of world hunger
c) Describe one Christian attitude towards using wealth
d) Explain how a Christian's faith may affect their occupation
e) 'Some people don't deserve to be cared for'

Peace and Justice:
a) Define pacifism
b) i. Give one aim of punishment
ii. Explain what it means
c) something about punishment, all I remember is writing about capital punishment and 'an eye for an eye'
d) Explain why some Christians are pacifists
e) 'Criminals should not be punished'

I didn't do equality.

I put euthanasia for the 'easy death' one too, but some people were saying they put suicide. I don't see how suicide is an 'easy death' though, so I think it must be euthanasia.

Edit:
The English medical word "euthanasia" comes from the Greek word eu meaning "good", and the Greek word thanatos meaning "death".

So it literally means 'good death' but I guess 'easy death' is pretty similar to that.
(edited 10 years ago)
What do you guys think grade boundaries will be like?
Hey guys,

For the "some people don't deserve to be cared for" question, what did you write? I wrote something like "Catholics believe we all are equal in the eyes of God etc (Humanae Vitae); God is infinitely forgiving, all criminals can reform, etc. Some Americans believe in death sentence, etc- believe that criminals strip dignity from others thus deserve to have dignity stripped from themselves, therefore don't deserve same care as others etc." I then realised that it was part of the Poverty and Wealth section- will I still get marks for that sort of argument? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought the medical ethics went pretty well - apart from an 'easy death' because I wrote suicide which is definitely wrong. I was pretty happy with the D question on Medical Ethics! The Poverty and Wealth section E question was a bit tricky 'some people do not deserve to be cared for' as I didn't see the clear link to poverty and wealth. I wrote something similar to the person above about how Jesus taught about caring for everybody, "love thy neighbour" and "to love your enemies" then I wrote about how the Old Testament talks about if "you kill a man you shall be put to death" which shows that Christians should not care for some people as it is too hard to forgive someone who has made you suffer so deeply. I also wrote about how there is "neither Jew nor Gentile" showing that everyone deserves to be cared for no matter who they are. And of course I blabbed on about being "made in the image of God." does this seem right? I just do not see the connection to poverty and wealth - I chose it because I can't stand the Human relationships module.
I though B604 was easier as I had written the Media E question multiple times. However the equality E question was a little difficult at first and felt quite restricting - to only talk about racism. But I think I did okay in the end. Did anyone struggle with why Christians would oppose censorship? I wrote that they believe in freedom of speech and disturbing news segments may be censored meaning Christians cannot find out about issues they may want to help with.
Reply 27
Original post by Tronick

Posted from TSR Mobile

Euthanasia

Original post by Hieroglyphics
Hey guys,

For the "some people don't deserve to be cared for" question, what did you write? I wrote something like "Catholics believe we all are equal in the eyes of God etc (Humanae Vitae); God is infinitely forgiving, all criminals can reform, etc. Some Americans believe in death sentence, etc- believe that criminals strip dignity from others thus deserve to have dignity stripped from themselves, therefore don't deserve same care as others etc." I then realised that it was part of the Poverty and Wealth section- will I still get marks for that sort of argument? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

I opened by talking about Chad Varah and the Samaritans movement - his simple dream that everyone had the right to be cared for.
I quoted Sanctity of Life, 'love thy neighbour', 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone', 'treat others as you wish to be treated' and 'You are all one in Jesus Christ'.
I talked about the Boston Bomber and if he had the right to receive medical care.

I've suddenly realized, too, that it was in poverty and wealth and not religion, peace and justice. I've probably got zero.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mmichaell
Euthanasia

I opened by talking about Chad Varah and the Samaritans movement - his simple dream that everyone had the right to be cared for.
I quoted Sanctity of Life, 'love thy neighbour', 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone', 'treat others as you wish to be treated' and 'You are all one in Jesus Christ'.
I talked about the Boston Bomber and if he had the right to receive medical care.

I've suddenly realized, too, that it was in poverty and wealth and not religion, peace and justice. I've probably got zero.

TSR have a higher-scoring demographic than the majority of students that aren't on TSR (because we panic more!), and the fact that all three of us wrote similar things (e.g. linking it back to sanctity of life, crime, etc) means it's probable that a large section of higher scoring candidates did a similar sort of thing, in which case the chief examiner is likely to give credit to those sorts of answers. If you read examiners' reports, they do that sort of thing sometimes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was doing b603 but the poverty and wealth 12 mark question was the same- "some people do not deserve to be cared for." I mentioned 'love thy neighbour', 'in the image of god', the hospice movement and Mother Teresa, quotes like 'love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you', The parables of the sheep and the goats and the parable of Lazarus and the rich man, and a Christian's duty to save another's soul and his belief that he'll be rewarded in heaven anyway...it seems everyone else here included much better ideas than I did :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Hieroglyphics
Hey guys,

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put something about the overall message of forgiveness in the Bible - "as we forgive those who tresspass against us" - so that people who have done something wrong should be forgiven and cared for. Then I put that some people might want to take care of their own families first before looking after strangers - "thou shalt honour thy mother and thy father". Next paragraph was how Jesus taught to help everyone, even our enemies, when they are in need - parable of the Good Samaritan (Samaritans were enemies of the Jews), "whatever you do for the least of my brethren, you do for me" (Jesus helped outcasts of society such as prostitutes). And finally I put that even if we feel as though someone doesn't deserve to be helped, it is not our place to judge as only God has the right to judge since only he is omniscient - and he will judge us all at death anyway so our judgements of each other are irrelevant (parable of the Sheep and Goats).

I think it'll be fine that you linked it to Peace and Justice though, there's no harm with making links between topics, as long as you put in something that relates to Wealth and Poverty.

Original post by katierhiannon1
I thought the medical ethics went pretty well - apart from an 'easy death' because I wrote suicide which is definitely wrong. I was pretty happy with the D question on Medical Ethics! The Poverty and Wealth section E question was a bit tricky 'some people do not deserve to be cared for' as I didn't see the clear link to poverty and wealth. I wrote something similar to the person above about how Jesus taught about caring for everybody, "love thy neighbour" and "to love your enemies" then I wrote about how the Old Testament talks about if "you kill a man you shall be put to death" which shows that Christians should not care for some people as it is too hard to forgive someone who has made you suffer so deeply. I also wrote about how there is "neither Jew nor Gentile" showing that everyone deserves to be cared for no matter who they are. And of course I blabbed on about being "made in the image of God." does this seem right? I just do not see the connection to poverty and wealth - I chose it because I can't stand the Human relationships module.
I though B604 was easier as I had written the Media E question multiple times. However the equality E question was a little difficult at first and felt quite restricting - to only talk about racism. But I think I did okay in the end. Did anyone struggle with why Christians would oppose censorship? I wrote that they believe in freedom of speech and disturbing news segments may be censored meaning Christians cannot find out about issues they may want to help with.

The d question for Medical Ethics was a great one! I think it's so easy because when it comes to stuff to do with animals, you can use knowledge from the Religion and Science unit for philosophy, such as the creation story, dominion/stewardship, animals not having souls etc. For the opposing censorship one, I couldn't think of any reasons in particular why Christians would oppose censorship, so I just gave general reasons for opposing it (we have the right to information and free speech, it can help corrupt governments to control people).
Reply 31
I did the human relationships section but was surprised with the e. I talked about companionship, worship donors etc. Anybody thoughts?
Reply 32
Original post by i90Elite
Anyone doing this exam tomorrow? Got any advice/tips? These are my predictions for tomorrows exam Section A
All people must be pacifists’

Section B
‘People should only be forgiven once’
As for section B I am almost 100% certain that something along the lines of that will come put section A is more of an estimate EDIT: The actual past paper is not available but the you can work out what the questions were in jan 13 by looking at the examiners report here: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/136511-examiners-reports-january.pdf

Hey what topics ended up coming in the exam? If you can still remember what topics came up please
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending