The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 1 Answers May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by christineyunka
Dear Mr M, for Q5 I said compress by a factor of 1/2 parallel to y-axis, how many marks would I get? for Q7 I got x>-1/8, instead of x<-1/8, how many marks would I lose? for Q9ii) I got the points 2 and -5/2 however I may have added up 2 and 2.5 wrong due to stupidity, how many marks would I lose?

5) drop 1

7) drop 1

9ii) drop 1
Mr. M ... I have got the right answer for, last question but i crossed it out, slightly, but that answer is still visible. I had the right method how many marks would I get? I was unsure, So because i got x=0 and x=-2 so i thought i was wrong.. cross out slightly with the answer still visible, how many marks will i lose.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 122
Original post by Mr M
There was only 1 midpoint to find?

Drop 2 marks I expect.

Sorry, I meant that I got the y - coordiante wrong. Would it still be 2 marks based on ecf?
Original post by XiLE
Ok thanks. For the decreasing function question, I accidentally did dy/dx = 4x+1
So I got x < -1/4
How many marks will I drop?

Drop 2?
Reply 124
Original post by bardsleyp
On the last question I got (1,0) and I put it in and it worked I don't know where I went wrong :/

i got the same wrong answer haha. I factorized the cubic and noticed there was a repeated root of (X-1), so i came to the conclusion that the line was a tangent to the curve at this point somehow. All i can do no is look back and laugh.
Reply 125
Original post by Mr M
Drop 1. No-one NEEDS 100 UMS - it isn't that important.

Its because ive already sat c2 and s1 and got 70 in both and to average 80 (for an A) i need/want 100 in c1
Original post by ZachM
Mr M, For question 9iii, not too sure what I did but I ended up with co-ordinates (1/4 , 4) any idea how many marks I'll lose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Based on what you have told me, zero marks. It is, of course, possible that some of your working was right and should attract some credit.
Original post by James_01
does dropping 1 or 2 marks now mean i cant get 100?

I think the C1 boundary for 100 UMS is always 72/72. You could have gotten away with losing the 1 mark possibly in C2, possibly in M1, M2 and FP1, definitely in S1, C3, C4. (Can't comment on modules outside these 8 yet, sorry.) But not in C1. You'll probably get 95%+ though.
Original post by russkiy
for quadratic graph had intersection of (1.5,0) (-2,0) instead of (-1.5,0) (2,0)

How many marks lost?

1 I expect.
Reply 129
Original post by Fruity0050
MR MMMMMMMM!!!!!!

You know you said you couldn't put up the paper but you could tell us what the question was - well, what was the full last question? Just cause I want another stab at it!

Thanks!!! :smile:

Fruity x

writing cute ain't going to help you love :P
Reply 130
question 3 i for some reason beyond my imagination treated 6/x^2 as 6x^2 when differentiating, consequently got 12x +2 then 12 for the 2nd derivative. can i claw any marks back for at least differentiating properly, and following through?

i feel ashamed to be an A2 student and not be able to pick up on such a silly error
Original post by bardsleyp
On the last question I got (1,0) and I put it in and it worked I don't know where I went wrong :/

Me neither.

:frown:
Original post by dakenSoren
For question 6ii where you have to find B (-2,-10), I know the correct method to find it is via considering the centre of the circle (M) as the mid point and working from that (A + B)/2 = M.
But how many marks would I lose (if any) for solving it by considering they are directly opposite in a straight line and they are an equal distance from M so getting from A to M is the same as going from M to B so adding that difference to M. i.e. (2,2) to (0,-4) is going -2 in x and -6 in y therefore A is at (0-2,-4-6) = (-2,-10). Will this lose me a working mark, in your opinion?

Thanks for the answers btw

That reasoning is fine.

And you are welcome.
Reply 133
Original post by Mr M
4iii) Calculate the discriminant of 3x^2 + 9x + 10

7i) Solve 3 - 8x > 4

that's brilliant, thanks, by the looks of things I've done extremely well :smile:
Original post by Dugald
how do you do question 6ii, I forgot what the question was

Someone just gave a method a couple of posts before your post.
Original post by ZachM
Mr M, For question 9iii, not too sure what I did but I ended up with co-ordinates (1/4 , 4) any idea how many marks I'll lose?

HELP PLEAAAASEE :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haven't I answered this already? You are not giving me enough information to go on. If you just wrote that wrong coordinate you won't get any credit.
Reply 136
How many marks am I likely to lose from not leaving question 8 in integer form?
Mr M i know its a lot to ask, but what do you reckon realistically the grade boundaries are, compared to past papers (assuming you've done them before :P)
Original post by hayhayhay1
sorry, for question 5)i) what was the correct sketch

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+y%3D2%2Fx%5E2
Original post by squeakypop
For the very last part, i correctly calculated x=0 and x=-2, showing all my working. I then had no idea, so I then guessed and put x=-2 y=-27 underneath. I wrote that down but didn't put any working and didn't obviously exclude x=0. Will I get all the marks?
Thanks for the answers!

You might get full marks if you are lucky!

And you are welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending