The Student Room Group

WJEC C1 13th May 2013

So, how did everybody think that went?

It was a very peculiar paper, with the cuboid question and binomial expansion being the two that caused me most problems. However the cuboid one was very much logic and i was able to do that one once i understood the question properly. Whereas the double bracket binomial expansion was much different, so i just decided to multiply the terms in part a) by the new bracket that was in the question.

Overall not a bad paper, but definitely a slightly challenging one. :cool:

What were your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I found it alright. The discriminant question looked quite confusing because of the equal sign, but i realised it was two equal roots lol. Plus i accidentally wrote 72cm^2 instead of cm^3. Other than that it wasnt a bad paper
Reply 2
It was okay. I must say I am kicking myself over the nature of roots question- part 2. My gut instinct was to use 'b^2-4ac' again and I ignored it. Another stupid mistake was the tangent and normal question. Instead of reading it properly I saw paralel and substituted the gradient of dy/dx in, instead of reading that it was paralel to the x-axes :L
(edited 10 years ago)
I thought it went well :smile:. I agree that it was a really weird sort of paper, but not necessarily hard. I thought part 2 of question 10 was a bit tricky, and the binomials part 2 was weird, but apart from that pretty standard paper! I have a feeling the grade boundaries will be pretty low for this paper. Similar to summer 2011 where it was 52/75 for an A. I'm guessing you'll need around 56 for an A.
Reply 4
The last question was definitely a tricky question, but as for the rest of the paper, I didn't find it too bad. I definitely think the grade boundaries will be fairly low since it's up there with the harder papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
honestly i found it abit different, the binomial part 2 was wierd, i attempted it but dont know! i got stuck for some reasons on the second surds question xD at the end i got something like -2(root)10
Reply 6
I didn't think it was too bad, except for Stationary Points and Binomial Theorem, but I've never really understood Binomials and it took me ages to realise that Q10 was Stationary Points... A lot of people came out of the exam saying how bad it was, but personally I just thought it was oddly written, rather than difficult... Does anyone remember what topic each question was on? For example Q1 was Co-ordinate Geometry and Q2 was Surds, what were the others?.. I'd quite like to jog my memory to see how many marks I might have lost... :smile:
Reply 7
Q3 was tangents I think, 4 was completing the square, 5 was binomials, 6 was roots, 7 was differentiation, 8 was polynomials, 9 graphs and 10 the cuboid question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thank you!
Reply 9
Can anyone remember what the factor was for q8?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fil.sissay
Can anyone remember what the factor was for q8?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i think the factor was (x-1) but then i didnt finish it, since i'm bad at finding the middle term
Reply 11
Original post by AeTheCrash
i think the factor was (x-1) but then i didnt finish it, since i'm bad at finding the middle term

Same I I found x-1 two be the factor but I couldn't factories the middle part. That's why I was unsure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Same I I found x-1 two be the factor but I couldn't factories the middle part. That's why I was unsure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

good at least we got 2 marks i think for that one xD what did you get for 2b? the second surd

i think i got something like -2Root10
Reply 14
Apart from sitting there for an hour thinking that 9 was a prime number and forgetting to write cm^3 for Q10, I thought that the paper wasn't as difficult as some of the others that I've tried. There was quite a lot of debate about the second of the surds questions after the exam in my class too.
Reply 15
Original post by AeTheCrash
good at least we got 2 marks i think for that one xD what did you get for 2b? the second surd

i think i got something like -2Root10

I think I got something like that. At first I was confused but then I got something to root 10. It's probably -2root 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Darnell
Apart from sitting there for an hour thinking that 9 was a prime number and forgetting to write cm^3 for Q10, I thought that the paper wasn't as difficult as some of the others that I've tried. There was quite a lot of debate about the second of the surds questions after the exam in my class too.

yes! it was definately tricky, to wether mutliply straight away or just go for the other method
Reply 17
I wouldn't worry too much, I think the boundaries will be fairly low

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mabli
I wouldn't worry too much, I think the boundaries will be fairly low

Posted from TSR Mobile

you mean that for a c it will be 50% ish?
Reply 19
I think I got something like that. At first I was confused but then I got something to root 10. It's probably -2root 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same :smile:

Quick Reply