Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 1 Answers May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dakenSoren
Its the other way around i.e. 2/x^2 becomes 1/x^2

UGH ok, thanks
I knew I would make a stupid mistake somewhere :frown:
Original post by Mylinho
Hi Mr M,

First of all, just want to say I really admire you for doing all this for all these exams, especially as I read you were in a meeting till 6. It's really kind of you to come home after such a long day, and help put our minds.

I have a quick question: for question 5 ii) I wrote 'transformation parallel to y axis by scale factor 1/2.' I wrote transformation instead of stretch.

Will I lose both marks for that?

Drop 1 mark.

And you are welcome. I don't mind giving up my time to reassure people who are nervous about their exams.
Original post by iDraw
For question 6, I put [square root]40 and not 2[square root]10 but in some working out for another question, I referred to it as 2[square root]10, will I get the answer mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.
Reply 163
hey MR M when can you do the edexcel c1 paper model answers?
Original post by science-oliver
How many marks Mr M would I have lost on the last question if I knew (or I thought i knew) there were two solutions, but i recognise the fact that the questions said Point A and not point(s), and I gambled as a complete 50/50 gamble and put down the answer as -2,-27 and didn't put anything about the other potential coordinates?

They'll probably assume you knew to disregard the other point. You might get full marks (lose 1 at most).
Original post by LucyW456
For 5iii I put scale factor 2, because it was 1/x^2 transformed to 2/x^2 (I think) - wouldn't scale factor 1/2 change it to 1/2x^2 ?

The graph y=kf(x)y=kf(x) is a stretch of the graph y=f(x)y=f(x) by scale factor k parallel to the y axis.

Your curves are the wrong way round.
Reply 166
I generally think that this paper was slightly harder than the one in january. I hope core 2 goes well!
Original post by EllieJacksonn
any idea what the grade boundaries will be like?

No sorry. I don't like to guess.
Reply 168
Mr M, for question 5, the one about sketching a graph, I only sketched the positive quadrant, will I lose any marks for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 169
Original post by Mr M
1 mark

Thanks, a lot.

Also, in question 6ii) I accidently used (0,4) as my centre instead of (0, -4), provided my workings were sound would I be able to gain 1 mark as I did get the x-coordinate correct?

Cheers for these answers!
Original post by asib12
If I stupidly misread perpendicular as parallel on question 8, but finished the question and found an equation for the line where the gradient was 1/3, which was the correct equation for that gradient, how many marks could I have gotten out of the 7 available?

cheers in advance

Drop 3 probably.
Reply 171
Original post by 840
I generally think that this paper was slightly harder than the one in january. I hope core 2 goes well!

I thought the one in January was a million times harder! Mostly because of that 10 mark question and I wasn't that prepared for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Parrallax
hey MR M when can you do the edexcel c1 paper model answers?

I don't do Edexcel for A Level but Arsey does. He is likely to ride to your rescue after 12 hours have elapsed.
Original post by iDraw
Mr M, for question 5, the one about sketching a graph, I only sketched the positive quadrant, will I lose any marks for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Drop 1 mark.
Reply 174
Original post by Mr M
I see. Did you consider resitting C2 and/or S1?

yeah. I'm resitting C2 on friday so ill probably be asking you to check some of my answers then as well :smile:

thanks for the help!!!
Original post by joetodd
Thanks, a lot.

Also, in question 6ii) I accidently used (0,4) as my centre instead of (0, -4), provided my workings were sound would I be able to gain 1 mark as I did get the x-coordinate correct?

Cheers for these answers!

Probably get 2 marks out of 3.

You are welcome.
Original post by Mr M
You're wrong. The cute writing won me over.

I've tried to uprate you so many times only to be told I need to rate other members first :colondollar:

Which other modules will you be doing answer threads for?
Original post by James_01
yeah. I'm resitting C2 on friday so ill probably be asking you to check some of my answers then as well :smile:

thanks for the help!!!

That's ok then! I'll post C2 answers on Friday afternoon.
Reply 178
I didn't put question 8 in integer form.

On question 10 I got that k=-5 but when putting k back into the original equation and differentiating it I got dy/dx=-3x^2-6x+4-k to be dy/dx=-3x^2-6x+4-5 instead of dy/dx=-3x^2-6x+4-(-5) so got dy/dx=-3x^2-6x-1.

I carried this error forwards into the last part of the question and did dy/dx=9, then put it into quadratic form but it had no real roots. I couldn't work out where I went wrong so in the last few minutes i just went with it and proved that it had no real roots which I knew was wrong.

How many marks will I lose in total?
Original post by Big-Daddy
I've tried to uprate you so many times only to be told I need to rate other members first :colondollar:

Which other modules will you be doing answer threads for?

C2, C3, C4, FP1, FP2, M1, M2. These are the ones I teach.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending