The Student Room Group

Just found out school doesn't offer work experience anymore should I do it?

I'm 14 and was looking forward from Year 7 to start work experience in my later years, turns out my school had finished it, I really wanted to work in a hospital or maybe somewhere in an electrical engineering place, just to see what is was like, but now I can't seem to do it via school, so how do I apply? And what are the pros and cons about doing volunteering?

Any piece of advice is appreiciated, thanks!
Reply 1
Yes, definitely! It's a great way to learn new skills and find out what sort career you'd be interested in. You don't need to apply via school, just send a letter or an email to the place you're interested in outlining your situation, why you want to do it and a suitable time (probably best to pick a half term so it doesn't interfere with your school work and the school don't have to sort out health and safety etc.). Remember to be enthusiastic! Volunteering is slightly different to work experience, but the only cons I can think of is if you don't make the most of the opportunity, pick the wrong thing for you or struggle to balance it with schoolwork.
Reply 2
Original post by dark-blue
Yes, definitely! It's a great way to learn new skills and find out what sort career you'd be interested in. You don't need to apply via school, just send a letter or an email to the place you're interested in outlining your situation, why you want to do it and a suitable time (probably best to pick a half term so it doesn't interfere with your school work and the school don't have to sort out health and safety etc.). Remember to be enthusiastic! Volunteering is slightly different to work experience, but the only cons I can think of is if you don't make the most of the opportunity, pick the wrong thing for you or struggle to balance it with schoolwork.

Thanks
Reply 3

May I just ask how old do I have to be to apply to volunteer in a hospital?
Reply 4
Original post by Pendulum3
May I just ask how old do I have to be to apply to volunteer in a hospital?

I'm not entirely sure, although I guess it depends what you'd be doing. I think medical work experience can be hard to get for any one under 16 and then there's stuff like patient confidentiality to consider. You'd be better off asking the place you're applying. Sorry I haven't been much help, but one thing I will say is do some work experience closer to Sixth Form/ college if you're planning on doing some vocational afterwards as places such as universities will be looking for recent extra curricular activities.
Reply 5
I'm not entirely sure, although I guess it depends what you'd be doing. I think medical work experience can be hard to get for any one under 16 and then there's stuff like patient confidentiality to consider. You'd be better off asking the place you're applying. Sorry I haven't been much help, but one thing I will say is do some work experience closer to Sixth Form/ college if you're planning on doing some vocational afterwards as places such as universities will be looking for recent extra curricular activities.

Thanks for the information!

I agree.
You could volunteer instead of doing work experience. It would be great and look really good on your CV.
Why dont you organise to do work experience somewhere at the weekends or in school holidays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending