The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology SCLY1 Family & Households 13th May 2013.

Scroll to see replies

My teacher said power relations weren't domestic violence ....?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 521
Original post by mollyelizabeth

But one of the reasons for domestic violence is the fact that men benefit from women's unpaid domestic labour and sexual services so they are essentially 'controlled' meaning domestic violence is inevitable in such circumstances? Doesn't that relate to power?

Oh well if it's wrong it doesn't matter, I mentioned everything else
Reply 522

it wasn't but you could say men use domestic violence to gain power and control.
dobash and dobash said women were attacked when men thought they were challenging their authority....all an indication that are trying to hold power...

shame i remember that now and didnt write it in the exam:frown:

Like everyone said, I wrote about the fact that men used it as a type of control. Mentioned Dobash and Dobash, Cheal, Yearnshire, Mireless Black and Ellit Robertson, then I critised with the last name I wrote and said not all men were for domestic violence, most oppose it. Yadadadad. Hopefully that point is correct :biggrin: If not then..... ;(
Original post by AnimeCrazy
So basically, I stupid lost two marks for the first question ;/ Got distracted by the STUPID noise of the construction work they are doing outside our college :frown:

Second question, I wrote better nutirtion, other social changes such as better knowledge of hygiene .
Third; I wrote about, secularisation, less stigma and attitudes and higher acceptations in marriages.

Question nine, I wrote EVERYTHING AND I MEAN EVERYTHING. Talked about Parson, Young and Willmot symmetrical family reasons for why it came about. Okaley and (Bouton?) and then I talked about Descions makings. Included Phal and Volger. Then I talked about Endgells, though I forgot his last name so I said Stephan... Is that allowed?

Then I talked about Domestic violence, which I included Mireless black. Dobash and Dobash. Yearnshire, cheal and all their studies, and then I concluded it. At the end I remembered Dual burden and triple shift. So I put a star and stuck where I thought best, which in there I recalled Duncobme and Marsden..... So yeah. Um, I hope that is enough.

Last question, I just talked about Murdock four functions, then I talked about Parson function fit and irreducible functions, explained them all, refered to Item B and then critizsed it with Feminist and Marxist. Used an example of Marxist feminist. Which I used Ansley **** takers.

God, just thinking about that paper.... ;/ UHHHHHHH. I need my B/A :frown:

wow u prolly did well
Original post by 3mmz
it wasn't but you could say men use domestic violence to gain power and control.
dobash and dobash said women were attacked when men thought they were challenging their authority....all an indication that are trying to hold power...

shame i remember that now and didnt write it in the exam:frown:

wait so you didnt have to include domestic violence? what about including duncombe and houschild
Original post by electro14
wow u prolly did well

God, I hope so ;/ What about you? What did you think about it? I'm still beating myself over the first question :frown: I wrote, the the number of babies that live UP TILL their first birthday per thousand per year. It was suppose to be that DIE before their first birthday per thousand per year...... God I am SO stupid. Got effing distracted.
Original post by Work1
I probably sound really silly, but rounded up to what? We only had the one exam for sociology, all i remeber is a D with mark 38..

Theres raw marks then there's the UMS marks, they round them up somehow. I think it depends on how many people got A's etc but don't quote me on it haha, terrible I know :frown:
Original post by AnimeCrazy
God, I hope so ;/ What about you? What did you think about it? I'm still beating myself over the first question :frown: I wrote, the the number of babies that live UP TILL their first birthday per thousand per year. It was suppose to be that DIE before their first birthday per thousand per year...... God I am SO stupid. Got effing distracted.

for the first 24 marker i wrote all the key names like parsons, bott, young, houschild, duncombe, gershuny, silver and schorr, i should have included domestic violence
Reply 529
The first essay really threw me!! I just wrote about like symmetrical family, instrumental and expressive roles, people like gershuny with full time women do less housework and barrett and mcintosh to do with how men make ££ decisions so i just kind of made up that it acts as a power source to them cos i panicked a bit!

then for the functionalist bit i wrote about every functionalist i could think of? then at the end i blabbed about men dominating through violence and threw a bit of the feminist critism in it! what did everyone else do?

i'm happy with it though, the topics could have been worse! now onto education/research methods revision :frown:
Reply 530
Original post by chellls
The first essay really threw me!! I just wrote about like symmetrical family, instrumental and expressive roles, people like gershuny with full time women do less housework and barrett and mcintosh to do with how men make ££ decisions so i just kind of made up that it acts as a power source to them cos i panicked a bit!

then for the functionalist bit i wrote about every functionalist i could think of? then at the end i blabbed about men dominating through violence and threw a bit of the feminist critism in it! what did everyone else do?

i'm happy with it though, the topics could have been worse! now onto education/research methods revision :frown:

have you started revising for that? what date is the exam again?
Exam for the Education and Research method is next week Tuesday. Done Research Methods, just need to skim read it and learnt the context of method, and I know SOME of the topics, like I LOVE External and Internal of the achievement one, I thought it was going to be hard. It was pretty good, but it came up last year in June 2012. But then again AQA are unpredictable so it might come up/ or not. Who knows, I need to learn the rest now... What about everyone else?
Reply 532
Does anyone know how many marks you would need for a C?
crashed and burned on the essay about power relationships... couldn't remember a thing and just improvised - had a feminist brain dump.. I hope I at least got SOME marks =/ but I did it last, so I'm hoping it'll look like I ran out of time and I wont be marked TOO harshly.

Essay on functionalism YES!!! I couldn't believe it came up - I spent all yesterday just revising this and it's criticisms. Mentioned Murdock and Parsons and criticised them with Interpretivism, Marxism, Feminism, especially Wilkinson and Ansley and Postmodernism - had a theorist for every section :3 best sociology essay I've ever written ^.^

First question - did okay... may not have said per 1000 per year BUT other than that I did okay
Second question - feminisation of economy = less manual labour jobs = less deaths from chemicals such as aspestos and increase in wages = better standard of living. This question REALLY threw me =/
Third question - secularisation and decrease in marriage = decrease in divorce and I think higher expectations of marriage (can't really remember)

hopefully my A in health + the rest of my exam can cancel out my fail on the domestic division of labour question :L
Original post by lkgib
Does anyone know how many marks you would need for a C?

60%

so - 36/60??
Reply 535
Original post by Rosasaurr
60%

so - 36/60??

thats too high for C last year was 31/60 for a C
Original post by ikz94
thats too high for C last year was 31/60 for a C

yeah but, while grade boundaries change every year, it seems every 10% is a new grade boundary - and 80% is an A, so 20% less is a C...

and 10% of 60 is 6.. 6x4 = 24, 60-24 = 36 :3

at least, we got told 6 marks was the difference between an A and a B
Reply 537
Original post by Rosasaurr
yeah but, while grade boundaries change every year, it seems every 10% is a new grade boundary - and 80% is an A, so 20% less is a C...

and 10% of 60 is 6.. 6x4 = 24, 60-24 = 36 :3

at least, we got told 6 marks was the difference between an A and a B

Am pretty sure its not like that as raw marks get converted into UMS marks
Reply 538
Hey everyone, reading these comments I'm worried about my first essay now, am I the only one that wrote about Gershuny, Silver and Schor, Young and Willmott, Ann Okaly and Dunne - 'gender scripts' and about pooling and decision making in my first essay :frown:
Reply 539
Nope you are not the only one, in the first essay I wrote about Bott, Willmott and Young, Ann Oakley, Fran Ansley,Lydia Morris, Gershuny, Man Yee kan, Dobash and Dobash for domestic violence, Pahl & Volger and Edgell I think. But, you had to link it to the question to make sense
I'm sure you did fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending