The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by Quantaˌ
What did everyone get in the Specimen Paper? And what grade are they aiming for?

I got 30/60 :L
The mark scheme for the specimen paper is ridiculous.
Original post by Quantaˌ
Where are the grade boundaries?

I don't think there is one, I think my teacher went off of the other exam grade boundaries or something idk
Reply 722
Original post by cmorga1
Guys my revision guide has nothing on artificial blood help! Can someone quickly summarise the topic or link me some notes etc? Thanks!

Something the other guy forgot to mention was perfluorocarbons (PFC), which is another type of artificial blood. It can absorb oxygen, and it actually don't contain cells so it can smoothly move to parts of the body that may have been compressed because of an accident.
And saline is just a salt solution that is used to maintain a high pressure in the blood vessels. It's nothing more than a placeholder until more blood can be produced.
Reply 723
i really hope they dont ask too many questions on plants
Reply 724
Original post by Kill3er
I got 30/60 :L
The mark scheme for the specimen paper is ridiculous.

I know I got 44. I'm hoping for an A*...
I'm really hoping the 6 marker is on kidney transplants and dialysis machines... Could someone tell me if my answer was right on the previous page?
Reply 726
Original post by bbadonde2
Then what is the tubule business?

tubules are nephrons
I got 39/60 with a mark scheme that really does suck.....hoping for an A*, a low A should be enough to secure me the grade though /fingers crossed
Reply 728
Original post by HarryRiley88
I'm really hoping the 6 marker is on kidney transplants and dialysis machines... Could someone tell me if my answer was right on the previous page?
I don't think it will be as there was a long answer question on that in one of the previous papers...
The function of the heart is new to this specification, which I why I think an explanation of blood flow through it will be the six mark question.
Reply 730
Can someone link me to a video on Ethanol based fuels "MYGCSESCIENCE" doesn't seem to have any!!!
Will be a great help
Reply 731
I'm super worried about this. We spent 1 year on unit 1 and 2 and just a few months on unit 3, which is meant to be the hardest. :frown: We had to use physics lessons to actually finish the course before the exam.
Reply 732
Okay this might be a stupid question but when you're explaining blood flow in the heart, where do you start? I've always started at the Vena Cava but other people start at the Artery.....

does it matter or is it okay as long as you include everything?
Reply 733
Hi, can anyone quickly explain a biogas generator and peat bogs. 2 things I'm struggling on, thanks
Reply 734
Original post by the1akshay
The function of the heart is new to this specification, which I why I think an explanation of blood flow through it will be the six mark question.

The heart is split up into two halves. The left side which pumps oxygenated blood and the right side which pumps deoxygenated blood. The pulmonary vein brings oxygenated blood into the left atria, which contracts and forces the blood into the left ventricle. The left ventricle then contracts and forces the blood through the aorta to the rest of the body. The vena cava brings deoxygenated blood into the right atria, which contracts and forces the blood into the right ventricle. The right ventricle then contracts and forces the blood through the pulmonary artery to the lungs. Valves in the heart ensure the blood flows in the right direction.

Anything i've missed?

I NEVER have enough space to write down my full answer on the lines provided for the 6 mark question. It is okay, to just write in the space below the lines, right? The examiners will still mark it..?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 735
Original post by issie1234
Okay this might be a stupid question but when you're explaining blood flow in the heart, where do you start? I've always started at the Vena Cava but other people start at the Artery.....

does it matter or is it okay as long as you include everything?

it doesnt really matter,i dont think, but I normally say deoxygenated blood from the rest of the body enters the heart via the vena cava, then into to atria... etc :smile:
What are you even meant to talk about concerning sports drinks?..... They have water, sugar, ions that replace the ones lost in sweat and through using muscles....is that it?.... idk:s-smilie:
Original post by Kill3er
The heart is split up into two halves. The left side which pumps oxygenated blood and the right side which pumps deoxygenated blood. The pulmonary vein brings oxygenated blood into the left atria, which contracts and forces the blood into the left ventricle. The left ventricle then contracts and forces the blood through the aorta to the rest of the body. The vena cava brings deoxygenated blood into the right atria, which contracts and forces the blood into the right ventricle. The right ventricle then contracts and forces the blood through the pulmonary vein to the rest of the body. Valves in the heart ensure the blood flows in the right direction.

Anything i've missed?

I NEVER have enough space to write down my full answer on the lines provided for the 6 mark question. It is okay, to just write in the space below the lines, right? The examiners will still mark it..?

If the question is "describe the function and structure of the heart?", I think six marks would go for:

1) Split into two halves
2) Naming of the vessels (vena cava for deoxy blood from whole body, pulmonary artery for deoxy blood to the lungs, pulmonary vein for oxy blood from the lungs, aorta for oxy blood to the whole body)
3) Atria contract to squeeze blood into the ventricles
4) Ventricles contract to squeeze blood to the lungs/whole body
5) Two circuits, one with the lungs, one with the whole body
6) Valves prevent blood flowing in the wrong direction.
Original post by PhoebeKnowles
What are you even meant to talk about concerning sports drinks?..... They have water, sugar, ions that replace the ones lost in sweat and through using muscles....is that it?.... idk:s-smilie:

They want us to evaluate their use, basically. They'll give you figures like how much glucose is present, how much protein, etc. and ask you to evaluate if they're effective or not. For example, a question might ask whether the claim that "AQAzade aids muscle growth more than OCRzade" is true if AQAzade has 4g protein/100g whilst OCRzade has 6g/100g.
Original post by you-only-live-once
sorry to interrupt but can anyone explain the different types of biogas generators and their advantages/disadvantages please?

by different types of biogas generators i think the spec means batch and continuous generators and maybe some differences regarding climatic effects....

continuous generators are more expensive because waste has to be mechanically pumped in, biogas mechanically pumped out ...

they are however more convenient because with batch generators you have to continually keep loading, emptying and cleaning them

hope this isn't too late! :frown:

continuous generators are more suited to large scale projects

Latest

Trending

Trending