The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm a little confused. If the question was "How far was the effectiveness of the civil rights movement in the 1960s limited by internal divisions?" how would you approach it?

Intro -
Then main paragraphs obviously fleshed out into these two subheadings of
Pluses in the 60's? (Sit-in's, freedom rides, march on washington)
Then the internal divisions? (Meredith March, NOI, Black Power - division of SNCC and CORE...)

But then would you make comparisons to other reasons that limited CRM? Such as Police, FBI, Congress, Presidents etc...? The mark scheme doesn't say anything like that. I'm
Reply 141
Original post by Tulareyn
For Stalin's Russia: say you have a question, like, how successful were the first three five year plans in achieving their aims, 1928-41...

How would you answer it?
There's a lot you can say about the consequences of the plans, but those aren't technically the aims? I struggle to plan this one. Any advice?

I think that's kinda the point. The closer the consequences of the plans are to the aims, the more successful you think the plans were. Largely, it's a for and against question - you have several points in favour, several against, with probably more on whichever side you agree with. E.g For - Massive Industrial Growth, Stalin's control solidified, .etc Against - Lack of Consumer Goods, Supplies, Poor Quality .etc, Figures fabricated, and so forth.
Reply 142
can anyone go over how to answer questions on vietnam/korea?!??!?
Original post by GrumpyChickensDS
I'm a little confused. If the question was "How far was the effectiveness of the civil rights movement in the 1960s limited by internal divisions?" how would you approach it?

Intro -
Then main paragraphs obviously fleshed out into these two subheadings of
Pluses in the 60's? (Sit-in's, freedom rides, march on washington)
Then the internal divisions? (Meredith March, NOI, Black Power - division of SNCC and CORE...)

But then would you make comparisons to other reasons that limited CRM? Such as Police, FBI, Congress, Presidents etc...? The mark scheme doesn't say anything like that. I'm

Link it to the Presidents by showing that they thought they had done enough and although groups like the SCLC believed in them there was an increase in Radicalization of the SNCC because of this.
Reply 144
Original post by getoom
Link it to the Presidents by showing that they thought they had done enough and although groups like the SCLC believed in them there was an increase in Radicalization of the SNCC because of this.

hey getoom, how do you begin when planning an essay for civil rights?
Cheers. Could you be even more helpful and try give an example?
Hopefully should be a walk in the park
Reply 147
anyone want to revise with me on TRS or FB?
Has anyone else looked at chief examiner reports? They are sooooo helpful! I'm doing both Russia units at AS (Revolution and Stalin) and there are recurring themes; definitely a pattern. I'm using the exemplar essays to make notes so that if a similar questions comes up tomorrow, I'll know what to write and how to structure it!
Reply 149
Original post by ChrisP8
anyone want to revise with me on TRS or FB?

How're you planning to revise?
Reply 150
Original post by sasunerd
How're you planning to revise?

just testing different facts and how to answer essays
Original post by ChrisP8
hey getoom, how do you begin when planning an essay for civil rights?

Just reading the book then getting someone to test me.
If, for Russia in Revolution, you got a question saying "how far to you agree that Nicholas II was the author of his own misfortunes?" how would you even begin to plan for that?! Like, what sorts of things would you put in? So far, I have:
Nicholas' weak character
Russia's backward economy
Nicholas' failure to take control and lead his people - used October Manifesto to calm and split opposition instead of solve and satisfy
decision to leave the Home Front in control of the Tsarina and Rasputin, what this did to reduce the moral of the people
the fact that he could not accept the idea of change, wanted to keep autocracy absolute, dissolve Dumas whenever he did not like what they suggested, quashing any real political power that the people, through the Duma, may have etc.

Am I missing someone or am I on the right track?
Original post by GrumpyChickensDS
Cheers. Could you be even more helpful and try give an example?

Use a kinda vicious circle thing with Johnson not passing any more acts because he was not being lobbied hard enough and then he was not being lobbied hard enough because the crm no longer worked together and then they didn't work together because they were not getting any more action from the government

Sorry I can't be of more help atm, dinner
Reply 154
Original post by cremeeggaddict
If, for Russia in Revolution, you got a question saying "how far to you agree that Nicholas II was the author of his own misfortunes?" how would you even begin to plan for that?! Like, what sorts of things would you put in? So far, I have:
Nicholas' weak character
Russia's backward economy
Nicholas' failure to take control and lead his people - used October Manifesto to calm and split opposition instead of solve and satisfy
decision to leave the Home Front in control of the Tsarina and Rasputin, what this did to reduce the moral of the people
the fact that he could not accept the idea of change, wanted to keep autocracy absolute, dissolve Dumas whenever he did not like what they suggested, quashing any real political power that the people, through the Duma, may have etc.

Am I missing someone or am I on the right track?

Yeah, that's pretty good. Basically, the question is a very round-about way of saying 'Why did the February Revolution occur?' So you would have a paragraph or two on Nicholas, and then the rest on other factors, judging which is the most important along the way.
Reply 155
If a question for staking asks for the successes of the first 3 5YP, could you also say that the USSRs 3rd 5yp transformed them into a war economy, leading to their victory in ww2.

Also if a question asks for the change in policies of women, will it always ask for women and children, or can it just be women - because I only know stuff such as hard divorce, prohibiting abortion, financial incentives, 40% of women were in the workforce by 1940 -anything else????,

Does the provisional government have a high chance of coming up????????
Original post by Mr Faust
Introduction
- state line of argument
- overall conclusion (I know, in the introduction??)
- don't list the points, briefly mention their importance in relation to each other

Main
3-5 paragraphs, one reason/thing each paragraph. Every one including:
- Dates/facts and figures
- relate to question
- why it is significant/important etc.
- why it is more significant/important than other points (here link argument to next point to link paragraphs)
- on paragraphs which is not the most important reason, say why it isn't

Conclusion
- Make sure you say which is the most important/significant reason out of the 3-5 reasons.
- summary of argument
- wrap up

Gonna bump this
Reply 157
Original post by A193
If a question for staking asks for the successes of the first 3 5YP, could you also say that the USSRs 3rd 5yp transformed them into a war economy, leading to their victory in ww2.

Also if a question asks for the change in policies of women, will it always ask for women and children, or can it just be women - because I only know stuff such as hard divorce, prohibiting abortion, financial incentives, 40% of women were in the workforce by 1940 -anything else????,

To the first one, definitely. It's a very good point actually. Indeed, you can include any points you can think of, as long as you can explain and justify it.

I don't think they'll be harsh enough to ask a question just on women, because you won't have enough to write about really. It'll probably be women and children, or society as a whole.

It's not certain, I but I would say it's got a chance. It wasn't in the previous two papers, while the other aspects of the 1881-1924 section were.
General question I've just thought of- if we're quoting something relevant to our point, and said quote contained a swear word or offensive term, would it be acceptable to use that quote in the exam?
Noting that the quote was found in the official textbook for the course..?

It might sound like a stupid question, but an an examiner report from past Civil Rights papers said that black/white people could not be referred to as 'blacks' and 'whites' respectively, as such terms are 'offensive', despite the terms being used frequently in the textbook. I don't want to loose silly marks by an an examiner 'taking offence' at something that is not intended to be offensive. -__-
Original post by A193

Hi,
Yeah, you could definitely say that. In fact, 3rd FYP is a big reason why they beat Germany and subsequently became a superpower -Stalin's focus on heavy industry and rearmament meant that USSR utilised all the components that it had in order to create a fully fledged war economy. For example, during Operation Barbarossa, which was launched on 22nd June 1941, both the Germans and the USSR put 3 million troops into the field, but the USSR had 16000 tanks (x4 of Germany's resources) and 9000 aircraft (x3 of Germany's resources). This was all thanks to the 3rd FYP and those provisions, which along with the moral of the Russian people, helped secure Russia's victory, and consequent emergence as a superpower.

I reckon that if Soviet culture comes up, women and children will be together, as they are topics that are intrinsic to one another. Soviet culture and the Cult of Personality has not yet come up in the series so it may well this time!

I'm pretty sure that the ProvGov will once again return, and it will probably be a question like "Was the Provisonal Government doomed from the start?" or "Why was the Provisional Government so short lived?"

Hope this vaguely helps, good luck! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending