The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by 13khana
Hi, can anyone quickly explain a biogas generator and peat bogs. 2 things I'm struggling on, thanks

I'll do my best to help!

Plant, animal and even human waste are put into a generator that is in anaerobic conditions. Fermenting bacteria then break down the carbohydrates and biogas is produced. The remaining solids can be used as fertilizer. The generator needs to be kept at around 30 degrees for efficient bacteria growth so depending on the climate it may need to be kept underground. Biogas is 70% methane.

Peat is basically old moss that has been kept in acidic boggy areas. Peat is very nutrient rich so many people dug it up and used it as fertilliser. This means that not only is a diverse habitat being lost, but as soon at peat is aerated it releases carbon dioxide, adding to global warming.

I hope this helped and if anyone else has any questions, this was actually really useful for me so fire away :smile:
Reply 741
I would just like to wish everyone the best of luck for tomorrow. An unofficial mark scheme will be posted on this thread within the next week. I hope everyone does well!
Original post by the1akshay
They want us to evaluate their use, basically. They'll give you figures like how much glucose is present, how much protein, etc. and ask you to evaluate if they're effective or not. For example, a question might ask whether the claim that "AQAzade aids muscle growth more than OCRzade" is true if AQAzade has 4g protein/100g whilst OCRzade has 6g/100g.

Thank you! So in that circumstance, would it be OCRzade that aids the muscle growth more, and the claim would be incorrect?
Original post by PhoebeKnowles
Thank you! So in that circumstance, would it be OCRzade that aids the muscle growth more, and the claim would be incorrect?

Pretty much, yes. They just want you to prove you can take data from tables and evaluate objectively. It was on B1, except it was about slimming foods then. It's page 14 on the CGP revision guide if you have that.
Just signed up because I need to know, for everyone who did the B3 specimen paper, what was an a*, an a and a b on it??? Cheers in advance PS good luck tomorrow all!!!
Anymore questions people could ask for us to revise? I can't think of any
Oh, I forget who asked, but it doesn't matter if you can't fit your answer in the lines provided. Just write it straight underneath, and use a few arrows. Shouldn't be a problem.

Also, the exams boards don't like it, but you can use blue pen if you want. They just can't scan it, which is understandably annoying, and the examiners have to be sent the real script.
iv got a B hoping to get an A...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 748
Oh, I forget who asked, but it doesn't matter if you can't fit your answer in the lines provided. Just write it straight underneath, and use a few arrows. Shouldn't be a problem.

Also, the exams boards don't like it, but you can use blue pen if you want. They just can't scan it, which is understandably annoying, and the examiners have to be sent the real script.

Thanks! I always have a black pen though :smile:
Pretty much, yes. They just want you to prove you can take data from tables and evaluate objectively. It was on B1, except it was about slimming foods then. It's page 14 on the CGP revision guide if you have that.

Yes I have the CGP guide, brilliant, thanks for your help :smile:
I know it may be a bit late, but if anyone is struggling with any topics I recommend the CGP iPhone apps, They are really useful and helped me get A's in B1, B2, C1, C2 and P1, you have to pay but I do really recommend them :smile: [They're not boring or heavy duty either, you can just sit in bed and do multiple choice just to re-imburse or expand your knowledge]
Reply 751
Could Mycoprotein be the 6 mark question? All the spec says is

"The fungus Fusarium is useful for producing mycoprotein, a protein-rich food suitable for
vegetarians. The fungus is grown on glucose syrup, in aerobic conditions, and the biomass is harvested and purified."
Original post by HoneyBadger123
Just signed up because I need to know, for everyone who did the B3 specimen paper, what was an a*, an a and a b on it??? Cheers in advance PS good luck tomorrow all!!!

Don't know about grades, but 52 is what I got and i've been told that's 94UMS.
You should be going off UMS now anyway, not grades... :wink:
Original post by Kill3er

"The fungus Fusarium is useful for producing mycoprotein, a protein-rich food suitable for
vegetarians. The fungus is grown on glucose syrup, in aerobic conditions, and the biomass is harvested and purified."

Could well be - remember we had a transect 6 marker in the mock! :smile: I'm guessing Deforestation destruction of peat bogs/Global Warming
You could be right tho, could be a Food Production on Fish Stocks or Mycoprotein and Intensive farming!
Original post by Kill3er

Yes, if it was it would ask you to explain to process of the production of mycoprotein so you'd say things about needing to keep the fermenters cool so you use a water jacket and how the fermenter needs to be sterilized often to stop bacteria growing and how glucose is used for food and things like that
Reply 755
Good luck everyone. Got B2 tomorrow as well.
I think the six marker will be on blood flow. Just seems like a good 6 marker.
Reply 756
Original post by Kill3er

I highly doubt it. Probably a two or three marker at the most.
Original post by Kill3er

My revision book says how mycoprotein can help to feed people in developing countries who can't get enough protein normally, because of lack of meat due to no suitable farming land etc, as growing mycoprotein is quicker and uses less space etc, you could discuss that if it comes up:smile:
I'm really starting to panic as I only just finished learning about biofuel/gas and the process of making mycoprotein and I don't fully understand the processes of any of them :frown: :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HoneyBadger123

An A* was 33! not sure about the others :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending