The Student Room Group

is it possible to get an a * in maths?

If I get C's in c1 ad S1 ad B in D1, 100 in C2, and 100 in C3 ad C4 for AQA maths?
Yes.
Reply 2
Original post by nothepreacher
If I get C's in c1 ad S1 ad B in D1, 100 in C2, and 100 in C3 ad C4 for AQA maths?

It DOESN'T depend on what your UMS was in the C's/B, it's guaranteed. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by joostan
It depends on what your UMS was in the C's/B, but it's certainly possible. :smile:

You sound very optimistic! Ever heard of someone getting C (i.e. below 70% UMS) in C1 and then 100% UMS in C3 and C4?
Reply 4
Original post by Big-Daddy
You sound very optimistic! Ever heard of someone getting C (i.e. below 70% UMS) in C1 and then 100% UMS in C3 and C4?

I'm a happy chappy - I know a guy who got a 79 in C1 and 98 in FP2 :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by joostan
I'm a happy chappy - I know a guy who got a 79 in C1 and 98 in FP2 :tongue:

Seriously? Kudos on them. They must have massively stepped up their game. 98 in FP2 is impressive. (79 in C1, not as impressive.) Not as impossible as C1 70% -> 100% in C3 and C4 though!
Reply 6
Seriously? Kudos on them. They must have massively stepped up their game. 98 in FP2 is impressive. (79 in C1, not as impressive.) Not as impossible as C1 70% -> 100% in C3 and C4 though!

True - nah, they were too dependent on a calculator :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by joostan
It depends on what your UMS was in the C's/B, but it's certainly possible. :smile:

Actually, I don't think it matters what the UMS was.

Minimum C is 60, minimum B is 70.

So the minimum total for BCC + 3 100s would be:

70+60+60+100+100+100 = 490 UMS

Still enough for an A*!
Reply 8
Original post by justinawe
Actually, I don't think it matters what the UMS was.

Minimum C is 60, minimum B is 70.

So the minimum total for BCC + 3 100s would be:

70+60+60+100+100+100 = 490 UMS

Still enough for an A*!

Well I'll be d*mned :tongue:
Reply 9

OP wasn't asking if those specific marks were possible though, she was asking if it would be possible to get an A* with those marks :colone:
I'm pretty sure 480 UMS total for all modules, and 180 UMS total for C3 and C4 is the A* requirement for maths for all A-level exam boards. Besides CIE, which is linear.
Original post by joostan
Well I'll be d*mned :tongue:

I said yes in the first post. Why don't people just listen to me? :P

To get an A* you need an A overall (480) and 90%+ in your A2 modules. In the case of maths it's only C3+C4. Therefore with the marks he gave you'd get an A*.
Reply 12
no, you cant reasonably expect to get 100's in c3 and c4. you probably dont even know whats in the paper.
Reply 13
Original post by Rob da Mop
I said yes in the first post. Why don't people just listen to me? :P

Where'd be the fun in that? :wink:
Original post by joostan
True - nah, they were too dependent on a calculator :tongue:

Haha, that's a good point! Doesn't excuse the shame of 70% in D1 though ... (I can't talk from experience, I'm not doing D1, but I've heard the stories :colone:)

Quick Reply

Latest