The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Accommodation

Hiii :smile: . i know it's a bit late but I couldn't apply earlier so I have to apply for accommodations now. I've read few different opinions about Opal 1 like that there are a lot of international student. I have nothing against them, not at all, but a lot of people said it's hard to make friends over there. so does anyone live in Opal 1 ? and is it true ?
second question.. what about The Anvil ? I like the place, seems nice but the pictures didn't show bathroom haha so I want to know what the bathroom is like if anyone live over there ? :biggrin: .
i'm so confused because I want to choose the right one so any advice ? thank you x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have booked for September at Anvil :smile: The bathrooms are quite modern but fairly small, although they probably are at most accommodation. and you even get a shower door rather than curtain. :smile: For Anvil you can apply directly on Unites website rather than through the uni and can choose which flat you want and stuff, so you definitely get a room and don't have to wait to be allocated. :smile: Sorry I can't really tell you about Opal..

Posted from TSR Mobile
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Can you apply through the Unites website as well as through the uni website?
Reply 3
Original post by Epiksha
Can you apply through the Unites website as well as through the uni website?

Yeah, just click on the accommodation you want and go on book now then pick which flat number you want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Blue95
Yeah, just click on the accommodation you want and go on book now then pick which flat number you want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, might just me being a dumb **** but I meant if you already applied through the SHU website, can you additionally then apply through Unite? Like does SHU and the Uni converse and decide on the best accommodation for me? Or will I get two different rooms I'm expected to pay for :P probably a stupid question but I'd appreciate it if you could lemme know :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Blue95
I have booked for September at Anvil :smile: The bathrooms are quite modern but fairly small, although they probably are at most accommodation. and you even get a shower door rather than curtain. :smile: For Anvil you can apply directly on Unites website rather than through the uni and can choose which flat you want and stuff, so you definitely get a room and don't have to wait to be allocated. :smile: Sorry I can't really tell you about Opal..

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh okay . :smile: thank you . what subject will u study ?
Reply 6
Original post by Epiksha
Sorry, might just me being a dumb **** but I meant if you already applied through the SHU website, can you additionally then apply through Unite? Like does SHU and the Uni converse and decide on the best accommodation for me? Or will I get two different rooms I'm expected to pay for :P probably a stupid question but I'd appreciate it if you could lemme know :smile:

aha I'm not sure. Booking through Unite you definitely get the room you pick and I guess they would make you pay for it. Don't know about what the Uni would do though. You could always try and contact accommodation and withdraw those applications? Don't really know though , sorry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Jula19
oh okay . :smile: thank you . what subject will u study ?

Human Biology, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Blue95
Human Biology, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh seems cool :wink: , and graphic design :smile:
Original post by Epiksha

Hi Epiksha,

My name is Frankie, - I work for UNITE, I noticed your post and thought a response might be helpful.

If you are a first year student you can apply to live with UNITE via the university accommodation office, they will then allocate you your accommodation.

You can also book direct with UNITE, but it's best to choose to apply one way or the other and not book a room through both.

The best idea is to speak to the university accommodation office if you have any questions.

I hope this helps

Frankie
Anyone know the difference between booking through unite directly and the uni website?! Or does it not matter what way you do it?
Reply 11
Original post by laylataylor
Anyone know the difference between booking through unite directly and the uni website?! Or does it not matter what way you do it?

Where do you want to stay? If you apply through the uni you pick 2 choices I think then get allocated either one of those, or if they're popular you may get another accommodation I think. I wanted to stay at Anvil so I booked through Unite so I definitely got a room there, rather than having to wait to be allocated by the university. Not sure how well I explained that aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Epiksha

i did this at first, i applied for accomodation on the SHU website but then i realised i could just get a room straight away through Unite. So i phoned up SHU accomodation and cancelled my application :smile: think it depends which way you want to do it, witht unite you have to pay the deposit straight away
Original post by Jula19
oh seems cool :wink: , and graphic design :smile:

ohhhhh im doing graphic design :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by ashleighbash
ohhhhh im doing graphic design :biggrin:

oh cool! which year are u in ? :smile:
Reply 15
i did this at first, i applied for accomodation on the SHU website but then i realised i could just get a room straight away through Unite. So i phoned up SHU accomodation and cancelled my application :smile: think it depends which way you want to do it, witht unite you have to pay the deposit straight away

I had no idea what's this Unite is so I googled it and for example if I have applied for Courtyard through ucas it's £99 per week (ish) but on this website it's £133 per week ? so not really sure what's this about ?
Original post by Jula19
oh cool! which year are u in ? :smile:

i'll be starting in september how about you? :smile:
Original post by Blue95
Where do you want to stay? If you apply through the uni you pick 2 choices I think then get allocated either one of those, or if they're popular you may get another accommodation I think. I wanted to stay at Anvil so I booked through Unite so I definitely got a room there, rather than having to wait to be allocated by the university. Not sure how well I explained that aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really wanna stay at victoria hall but everyones saying its so popular and hard to get in! opal 1 looks alright as well, but then lots of people are saying its not that great?! would it be best to apply for victoria hall through unite then? and i get what you're saying you explained it well haha!
Reply 18
Original post by laylataylor
I really wanna stay at victoria hall but everyones saying its so popular and hard to get in! opal 1 looks alright as well, but then lots of people are saying its not that great?! would it be best to apply for victoria hall through unite then? and i get what you're saying you explained it well haha!

I think Victoria Halls is run by another company, and there you can only apply through the university. You can apply for Opal 1 through the Opal website though :smile:
Reply 19
i'll be starting in september how about you? :smile:

really ? finally I found someone who'll study graphic design as well haha I literally thought I was the only one haha :wink: . and yeah me too, if i'll get in of course. coz I have conditional offer, but sheffield is my firm choice but hopefully i'll get in . i really really want to go to Sheffield :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending