The Student Room Group

The OFFICIAL AQA AS Philosophy May 2013 Exams Thread. (Units 1&2)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mollie_cliffe
I'm sitting Phil 2 on Friday, (Knowledge of the external world & Free will and determinism) anyone have any idea of what questions could come up?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing those too, I reckon for knowledge of the external world we might get a 30 on Idealism and a 15 on sense data, but this is only a hunch looking at past questions and the order they come in.... I haven't started revision yet :frown::s-smilie:
Reply 261
Original post by PaulyRivs
Inductive is a rule based on experience; if I throw a ball in the air ten times and it always comes back down, I make the inductive ruling that it will always hit the floor, but I cannot always be certain it will hit the ground, no matter how many times I throw it, because something might change, such as the laws of gravity. I used Russell's turkey to illustrate the problem of inductive thinking. I then talked about Deductive thinking, where you apply a rule based on what you see. "All men are mortal. Socrates is a man. Therefore Socrates is mortal" and that I could deductively say that my teacher will take off a mark for every grammar mistake I make, therefore I can deductively say that if I make five grammar mistakes, I will lose five marks. That's the basic jist of the answer I gave.

ok perfect, thanks so much
Original post by Student8
ok perfect, thanks so much

How did you find the exam? Do you have any idea how the mark scheme works? (i.e. how many marks out of 90 I would need to get a C?)
What did people put for the R&E 30 Mark today? [We have an innate grasp of the way the world is, discuss] Mine was brief and slightly rushed, and I think I messed up... I just want to check my response against other peoples;
I talked about conceptual schemes and how we have them innately, blah blah
I think talked about the empiricists views on tabula rasa, and how we have nothing innate, and there isn't one thing that everyone in the world knows (including children and 'idiots') and all that jazz
and then I put about the rationalist criticism for this, and talked about experience as a 'trigger' and referred to language and such...
Is this along the right lines?
Original post by PhoebeKnowles
I'm doing those too, I reckon for knowledge of the external world we might get a 30 on Idealism and a 15 on sense data, but this is only a hunch looking at past questions and the order they come in.... I haven't started revision yet :frown::s-smilie:

Wasn't the last 30 mark on idealism? My teacher doesn't think it'll come up again, I hope it does though, I know it best! how're you feeling about the exam? Any idea on question for the free will side?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The last 30 mark was "Assess the claim that we do not have direct knowledge of physical objects" and that was from January this year :smile: I had an inkling that survival through time would come up on the persons exam today and it did, but don't quote me on these ones as I honestly have no idea, I'm just going to try and revise everything! I haven't got a clue about Free will, It's my weakest topic so I'm hoping I can grasp enough information in time... I'm very nervous to be honest, as I was focusing on Philosophy 1 and now my sciences, and haven't really started Phil2 revision, what about you?
What did people put for the R&E 30 Mark today? [We have an innate grasp of the way the world is, discuss] Mine was brief and slightly rushed, and I think I messed up... I just want to check my response against other peoples;
I talked about conceptual schemes and how we have them innately, blah blah
I think talked about the empiricists views on tabula rasa, and how we have nothing innate, and there isn't one thing that everyone in the world knows (including children and 'idiots') and all that jazz
and then I put about the rationalist criticism for this, and talked about experience as a 'trigger' and referred to language and such...
Is this along the right lines?

It's a bit similar to what I did, but mine was more about a comparison of Kant and Sapir-Whorf and how the two differed and briefly brought in Locke and Hume's criticisms of innateness as a whole, including children and idiots, etc.
Howdy, just did my PHIL 1 exam today (I did PHIL 2 in January). I thought it went fairly well. For Reason and Experience the 15 marker was just a straightforward vocab, and the 30 mark one was on Rationalism and innate ideas (I think?). I went with some outlines of the Rationalist notion of conceptual schemes and then some on Descartes' Trademark Argument, and responses to both.

Anyone else think the Idea of God part had a real annoying 15 mark question? Maybe it was because I felt conflicted; I wasn't sure if it was asking for objections towards God being an innate idea, or justifying a refutation of God being an innate idea via alternate explanations. I went with the latter, as for the life of me I couldn't remember anything about direct objections to the notion of God being an innate idea. The thirty marker for that half was on the Ontological argument. Fairly straightforward; Anselm and Descartes forwarding it, Gaunilo and Kant providing objections.

I'm not too worried -- I did fairly well in January, so I only need to walk away with a C in this exam to get an A for AS. But it'd be good to know if I didn't do a colossal goof.
It's a bit similar to what I did, but mine was more about a comparison of Kant and Sapir-Whorf and how the two differed and briefly brought in Locke and Hume's criticisms of innateness as a whole, including children and idiots, etc.

At least we are along the same lines :') I don't understand Kant and Sapir-Whorf's views, I kept reading over it but I just wasn't grasping it, I don't know if I'll lose marks or not, I just talked about how Kant says that without a conceptual scheme then we can not categorise the raw sense data we receive, and things like that. I didn't go into it much as I had to rush it due to timing issues...
The last 30 mark was "Assess the claim that we do not have direct knowledge of physical objects" and that was from January this year :smile: I had an inkling that survival through time would come up on the persons exam today and it did, but don't quote me on these ones as I honestly have no idea, I'm just going to try and revise everything! I haven't got a clue about Free will, It's my weakest topic so I'm hoping I can grasp enough information in time... I'm very nervous to be honest, as I was focusing on Philosophy 1 and now my sciences, and haven't really started Phil2 revision, what about you?

Ah I see! Well I'm hoping for something that involves either idealism or representative realism! And free will is a difficult topic, I'd get revising aha! I haven't really prioritised philosophy revision as its only an AS and I've got uni in September so it's the least amount of ucas points!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mollie_cliffe
Ah I see! Well I'm hoping for something that involves either idealism or representative realism! And free will is a **** topic, I'd get revising aha! I haven't really bothered with philosophy revision as its only an AS and I've got uni in September so it's the least amount of ucas points!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll start tomorrow haha! Tbh it sounds bad but I will rejoice the day when I never have to do philosophy again, although I have epistemology as a subject next year:'(
Reply 271
How did you find the exam? Do you have any idea how the mark scheme works? (i.e. how many marks out of 90 I would need to get a C?)

I can't remember exactly how many, but my teacher told the class what you needed to get an A for the last exams, and we were shocked at how low it was. So you can get a relatively low mark, and still get a good grade.
I'll start tomorrow haha! Tbh it sounds bad but I will rejoice the day when I never have to do philosophy again, although I have epistemology as a subject next year:'(

Ah well good luck! Ill be glad to see the back of philosophy and revise for the rest of my A2 exams x)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NiallD
I can't remember exactly how many, but my teacher told the class what you needed to get an A for the last exams, and we were shocked at how low it was. So you can get a relatively low mark, and still get a good grade.

That's promising! :P
At least we are along the same lines :') I don't understand Kant and Sapir-Whorf's views, I kept reading over it but I just wasn't grasping it, I don't know if I'll lose marks or not, I just talked about how Kant says that without a conceptual scheme then we can not categorise the raw sense data we receive, and things like that. I didn't go into it much as I had to rush it due to timing issues...

You never know with Philosophy, do you? It's totally unpredictable. :P
You never know with Philosophy, do you? It's totally unpredictable. :P

Exactly haha :P
Does anyone know what the mark scheme for the PHIL1 exam is like?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bananaterracottapie
does anyone know whether Mill's justification for tolerance is autonomy-based liberalism or neutral based liberalism?

I'm not sure if someone has already answered your question (I haven't read through the entire thread) but Mill is a classical liberal so his justification is autonomy based.

Does anyone have an predictions for Tolerance or The Value of Art? I did well in January but I found unit 1 much more straight forward.
Reply 278
anyone up for god and the world Q and A?
Original post by the A* guy
Here is the jan 2013 paper for unit 2:

Hope This Helps :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thanks!

You wouldn't by any chance have the mark scheme for this paper and examiners report too would you? It would be a big help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending