The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by King Amukee
which enzymes are involoved in controlling blood glucose levels? :biggrin:

No enzymes, just hormones :smile: they're both produced by the pancreas:

INsulin: when glucose is IN the blood (ie it's too high), insulin is produced to increase the uptake of glucose in cells (cell permeability) and triggers the conversion of glucose in blood to glycogen stored in liver and skeletal muscles.

GlucaGON: when all the blood glucose has GONe (ie it's too low), glucagon is produced to convert glycogen back into glucose and that glucose is released back into the blood.

:smile:
Original post by NoMathsPlease
I'm doing IGCSE but we didn't learn about this?

Learnt about golden rice, but didnt go this far!

Are you doing additional science or triple? I don't know whether it's on the dual syllabus :s-smilie: like, gametocytes to sporozoites to merozoites to schizonts etc? I don't think it's of the mosquito as such, more the malarial parasite...

It has NEVER been in a GCSE syllabus before, whoever decided we need to be tested on it is insane. -.-
Original post by Molly_xox
Are you doing additional science or triple? I don't know whether it's on the dual syllabus :s-smilie: like, gametocytes to sporozoites to merozoites to schizonts etc? I don't think it's of the mosquito as such, more the malarial parasite...

It has NEVER been in a GCSE syllabus before, whoever decided we need to be tested on it is insane. -.-

We're doing triple, so two exams in each for 3 certificates.

O_O nope we definitely did NOT do that haha. But then again we did the double fertilisation of the Embryosac which you probably didn't... No other class at my school. Did that :/.

Swear most biology teachers don't even know the syllabus :tongue:
Original post by NoMathsPlease
We're doing triple, so two exams in each for 3 certificates.

O_O nope we definitely did NOT do that haha. But then again we did the double fertilisation of the Embryosac which you probably didn't... No other class at my school. Did that :/.

Swear most biology teachers don't even know the syllabus :tongue:

I don't even know what an embyosac is, oh dear :colondollar:

I've got the syllabus in front if me, I'll have a look. The malarial cycle with parasites and things is literally just learning, a bit like learning the different areas of the heart, so I can't see it being worth massive amounts of marks. It might not even come up.

Gosh I know right? :tongue:
Reply 1124
I think I might have to retake biology, I don't know how much information I took in from revising, as we've done all the past papers in class a few months ago :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jina
No problemo! :smile: I didn't know until yesterday either! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL! :biggrin:
who's got a science exam in June? :bigsmile:
Original post by Armani786
who's got a science exam in June? :bigsmile:

*cough* Three
No enzymes, just hormones :smile: they're both produced by the pancreas:

INsulin: when glucose is IN the blood (ie it's too high), insulin is produced to increase the uptake of glucose in cells (cell permeability) and triggers the conversion of glucose in blood to glycogen stored in liver and skeletal muscles.

GlucaGON: when all the blood glucose has GONe (ie it's too low), glucagon is produced to convert glycogen back into glucose and that glucose is released back into the blood.

bingo hahaha that's a good way to remember xD
what are enzymes that are used in industry?
I don't even know what an embyosac is, oh dear :colondollar:

I've got the syllabus in front if me, I'll have a look. The malarial cycle with parasites and things is literally just learning, a bit like learning the different areas of the heart, so I can't see it being worth massive amounts of marks. It might not even come up.

Gosh I know right? :tongue:

Haha, that's even now then. Can't say I'm an expert on the life cycle of the mosquito :tongue:

What did that colossal syllabus say? It's far too big realistically for two years of work in my opinion... So out of proportion from physics! :/
We're doing IGCSE, it might not be on the normal one...you're so lucky, it's so confusing

The life cycle of a mosquito... It's very... specific :tongue:
Original post by MattFletcher
hahaha. 'He shall be remembered for his quote:
"We're Chatty:biggrin:" - Matt [James] Fletcher'

Because everyone always comments on how fast we're going through threads - it's a good inside joke response :biggrin:
Reply 1132
Original post by Pabblethefish
Because everyone always comments on how fast we're going through threads - it's a good inside joke response :biggrin:

I love inside jokes! :ahee:
Just finished making notes for poem analysis... :sigh:

Spoiler

Link to the poem

Yes, that much analysis for a short poem. :lol:
I hope Sister Maude comes up, did a whole presentation on that :biggrin:
I've been found on here. Omg help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MattFletcher
I've been found on here. Omg help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

By who? :lol:
Original post by King Amukee
bingo hahaha that's a good way to remember xD
what are enzymes that are used in industry?

isomerase: used to convert glucose into fructose for slimming foods as fructose is sweeter so less is needed to get the same flavour so less calories.
Proteases: used to pre-digest baby food.
Lipase and protease: biological washing powder to get rid of stains and to work at lower temperatures.
Carbohydrase: converts startch into sugar syrup (used in soft centred sweets)

Original post by Meliss
By who? :lol:

Someone from school. They just started a conversation with 'nice posts on the student room :wink:'. Why did I put my name as my username? :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elm Tree
Just finished making notes for poem analysis... :sigh:

Spoiler

Link to the poem

Yes, that much analysis for a short poem. :lol:

You doing the 12 or so poems?
We are doing Character and voice AQA :P
I also see you user "Tree" on the paper :smile:

Latest