The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bananarama2
That's a terrible excuse. Doesn't it just communicate a lack of organisation?

Yep, I'm a ****ing idiot.
I had to self-teach the entire course in a month, and just done a past paper, looking at a B or C.
Sit or not sit it? Advice?
I realise I'm a complete idiot for letting this happen.
Exam's tomorrow
Original post by jessjesspp
Yeah I love that aspect as well! It'll be so good.
I applied for the most expensive bracket- purely because I wanted to avoid the risk of being put in accommodation with no central heating or sink! What about you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i've gone for the same bracket for the same reason- i didn't like the sound of having to have an electric heater in my room throughout winter!
That's a terrible excuse. Doesn't it just communicate a lack of organisation?

Perhaps I make up a better excuse too?
Not sure what, but if I could come up with something legit, or in fact, they'd never know I was doing mechanics in the first place if I don't sit the exam.
I'm wondering if I should or shouldn't sit the exam, I can take it during my gap year, if I take it now there's a slim chance of an A.
Which is best?
I imagine us CompScis will end up something like this.

2470_large_2470_tumblr_lr54sjBIEF1qcwni9o1_500_Maths_Memes-s439x512-364414-580.jpg
Original post by I am Ace
Perhaps I make up a better excuse too?
Not sure what, but if I could come up with something legit, or in fact, they'd never know I was doing mechanics in the first place if I don't sit the exam.
I'm wondering if I should or shouldn't sit the exam, I can take it during my gap year, if I take it now there's a slim chance of an A.
Which is best?

But like A-level students who have to declare resits, I'm worried that if you just try and pretend it never happened it would count as deception, and there would be very grave consequences indeed if you get found out. (Plus the school that went to all the trouble to present you will get royally pissed that you end up not showing.)

I advocate that the only options even worth considering are the ones where Cambridge would know about this sitting of the exam, and getting a grade in this case is better than not getting one. If you want to wing it and hide it then that's up to you.
Original post by ukdragon37
But like A-level students who have to declare resits, I'm worried that if you just try and pretend it never happened it would count as deception, and there would be very grave consequences indeed if you get found out. (Plus the school that went to all the trouble to present you will get royally pissed that you end up not showing.)

I advocate that the only options even worth considering are the ones where Cambridge would know about this sitting of the exam, and getting a grade in this case is better than not getting one. If you want to wing it and hide it then that's up to you.

I know that you're right.
I've ****ed this up so badly.
But I've emailed the school already and have already made the decision to not go.
I'll try and sort this out somehow
Reply 2526
There is no debate if you are a set theorist, logician, or computer scientist :tongue:

I was of the understanding a set theorist would generally not include 0.
Original post by I am Ace

I think you should give at a shot, you don't want to risk them turning round and asking why you didn't declare it.
I think you should give at a shot, you don't want to risk them turning round and asking why you didn't declare it.

I was hoping you and Dragon wouldn't say that.
It's essentially too late, I've sent out emails and lost my transport to the exam.
If I can find a way for it to not go on my record, and instead be me simply dropping the subject, instead of not showing to the exam.
Not sure how I'll do this, but I'll try something
Also, let's be for real. One module is not going to break an application.
Original post by ben-smith
Also, let's be for real. One module is not going to break an application.

It's not a module. It counts as a whole subject under the Scottish system. (Well, if you want to be pedantic, around two-thirds of a subject in content, a whole subject in name.)

Original post by FO12DY
I was of the understanding a set theorist would generally not include 0.

All the set theorists I've worked with do at least :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
It's not a module. It counts as a whole subject under the Scottish system.

You crazy scots! *shakes fist*

It's because it's divided "vertically" rather than "horizontally". :tongue: So instead of the early/middle/late modules in each different kind of maths making up one subject, you take one kind of maths to its end and that counts as one subject.

Why? You can basically do an A Level in Mechanics on Edexcel if you put all 5 Mechanics modules into AFM. :lol:
It's because it's divided "vertically" rather than "horizontally". :tongue: So instead of the early/middle/late modules in each different kind of maths making up one subject, you take one kind of maths to its end and that counts as one subject.

Original post by DJMayes
Why? You can basically do an A Level in Mechanics on Edexcel if you put all 5 Mechanics modules into AFM. :lol:

I wasn't really being serious, that system sounds better tbh. It's all in the past for me now though *wistful sigh as I think back to my M5 exam*
I wasn't really being serious, that system sounds better tbh. It's all in the past for me now though *wistful sigh as I think back to my M5 exam*

It's not without its flaws, for example the applied maths subjects get marginalised and they are really not offered very widely except among the private schools, while the state schools just concentrate all their resources on getting good grades in the pure maths subject.

I bit the bullet so I'm sitting it in June. How did you do on it?
Reply 2537
It's not without its flaws, for example the applied maths subjects get marginalised and they are really not offered very widely except among the private schools, while the state schools just concentrate all their resources on getting good grades in the pure maths subject.

This.

I was lucky in that most of my Maths teachers had done degrees relevant to the modules we were being taught (Economics for Stats, Physics/Engineering for Mechanics - yes I know it's a gross generalisation!)
Reply 2538
A bit random question from me: has anyone applied for the Fees Loan yet? I'm a EU student and I'm trying to fill my form, but:

1. I have no idea what is the 'Customers Reference Number'. Should I have one? Or is that a thing that people from GB have? Where can I get one/check it?

2. I intend to start a job in England soon, so I'll get my National Insurance Number, right? The form states that if I have one, then I should write it down in relevant tab. If I haven't got one but I'll get it after the form is sent, I should inform the SLC. Do I do that by using the form from this website:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms/y/eu-full-time/year-1314/new-student

described as "To update your course, name and other details", in tab "Other"?

Plus, what are the deadlines for the Cambridge European Bursary and the Loan? I know that I need to apply for the Loan to get the Bursary, but do I have to do that before some specific date?
Reply 2539

All the set theorists I've worked with do at least :tongue:

Fair enough, I bow to your vaster experience.

I think WolframAlpha led me to believe it generally wasn't, when I was looking it up for my own use, and wasn't sure about the notation. I went with the superscript for clarity.

Latest

Trending

Trending