The Student Room Group

Why is FGM Off-Limits To Joke About.......

..........when a guy getting his penis chopped off is 'hilarious'?

I was watching this absolutely gobsmacked at the hypocrisy of a group who claim to understand sexism when they are guilty of it themselves. The only respectable women there made a point 4 minutes in where she mentioned that it shouldn't be fine to laugh and joke about a guy's dick getting chopped off if a woman got her breasts cut off. They brushed her off by saying 'It's different.' - How the hell is this different?

A similar story occurred where a man died from having his testicles squeezed by a woman, and the Huffington Post placed the article in 'Weird News' for a tirade of jokes to ensue at his expense:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/04/23/testicles-squeezed-to-death_n_3142565.html?just_reloaded=1

Attitudes within our society exist to show that there is a consistent trend of appropriateness in ridiculing the majority group and that it's unacceptable to do likewise for the minority ones. In this case, a man has just had his genitals removed against his will by a minority, a woman. And the reaction, as you can see above, is of hilarity.

Let's look at things if they were done reversed:

Now in this circumstance it seems to say more about the incompetence of the medical system, but at the same time the reaction is remarkably different and there is a certainly more sympathetic approach taken.

The same reactionary differences can be noted when women hit men, as discussed in this thread.

I also looked over the recent thread about sick jokes that should and shouldn't be acceptable, and the conclusion I draw personally from this and the scenarios above is that either everything should be okay to make fun of or nothing should. That is to say, both men and women should be equally prepared for ridicule (not that they deserve it) at their misfortunes. Otherwise we aren't taking things seriously, as we can see in the first video.

Do you think society views men as more appropriate to joke about in light of the fact that they are the majority group? And do you think that there should be more leniency in making fun of the men as the majority group?

Scroll to see replies

It's just pure hypocrisy. Nothing but hypocrisy.

It's vestiges of men being seen as stronger than women. It's not honourable to hit those weaker than you so it's dishonourable for men to hit women. But now if we are all equal then it shouldn't be ok for anyone to hit anyone.

I'm not going to hit a woman and think men who do so are quite cowardly because men are weaker than men most of the time. So it's cowardly to hit those weaker than you. In exactly the same way I wouldn't hit a younger smaller boy.

However if a woman tried to mug me I'd smack 'em up.
Yeah that case of the man having his penis cut off and being laughed at was absolutely sickening... as a girl I feel so ashamed that women like that exist.
Reply 3
Yeah, sadly modern society thinks it's generally ok to joke about serious incidents against men or ignore discrimination against men. But when something bad happens to a woman, oh no, no-one can joke about it because it's "different". As much as misandrists are to blame, pathetic whiteknights who bend over for these bastards to keep ****ing men over are also to blame.

We men need to somehow work together to stamp out "whiteknightism" from the world. Those pathetic whiteknights aren't helping men get equality where it's needed.

And no, there shouldn't be any leniency in mocking men as long as women are generally not mocked. Consistency is key.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Jacob :)
It's just pure hypocrisy. Nothing but hypocrisy.

It's vestiges of men being seen as stronger than women. It's not honourable to hit those weaker than you so it's dishonourable for men to hit women. But now if we are all equal then it shouldn't be ok for anyone to hit anyone.

I'm not going to hit a woman and think men who do so are quite cowardly because men are weaker than men most of the time. So it's cowardly to hit those weaker than you. In exactly the same way I wouldn't hit a younger smaller boy.

However if a woman tried to mug me I'd smack 'em up.

I agree, and it is hard when you find yourself in a confrontation with a woman attacking you because it's largely a lose-lose situation for men: Don't hit and risk getting injured or kick her ass and get vilified as a woman-basher. You just can't win, and it's shows like Lose Women and The Talk which continue to perpetuate these double standards on the face of purely special treatment.

Original post by tibbles209
Yeah that case of the man having his penis cut off and being laughed at was absolutely sickening... as a girl I feel so ashamed that women like that exist.

I think it's also a bad misrepresentation of women themselves. I was quite surprised at how much pleasure they seemed to be getting from it as well, which is probably the most sickening part of it, though maybe I shouldn't very surprised in Sharon Osbourne's case since her husband likes to bite the heads off of bats......
Leslie Winkle!

There is a lot of hypocrisy indeed.

These women are of a different generation though and I think the majority of 21-year old women would find something like this utterly disgusting and wouldn't even joke about it.

Women back in the day could get away more easily with joking about this sort of thing. They had few chances to succeed in life and one of their main forms of 'power' was their sexual allure to men.

These women are just part of a sorry phase where powerful women are able to get away with sexism against males.

I'm pretty sure that phase is coming to an end. It may take a generation or two to completely go, and longer perhaps in removing other female privileges.
Reply 6
Original post by Cable
Yeah, sadly modern society thinks it's generally ok to joke about serious incidents against men or ignore discrimination against men. As much as misandrists are to blame, pathetic whiteknights who bend over for these bastards to keep ****ing men over are also to blame.

Indeed, this guy is a prime example:

Seems to be collectively blaming men for everything wrong in the world.

We men need to somehow work together to stamp out "whiteknightism" from the world. Those pathetic whiteknights aren't helping men get equality where it's needed.

And no, there shouldn't be any leniency in mocking men as long as women are generally not mocked. Consistency is key.

Totally agree, will rep when I'm back up to power.
Reply 7
Original post by Kiss
...it's shows like Lose Women and The Talk which continue to perpetuate these double standards on the face of purely special treatment..

I would agree to an extent, but do we really take those Loose Women all that seriously?
Reply 8
Original post by ufo2012
I would agree to an extent, but do we really take those Loose Women all that seriously?

I don't but some people do. I'm not for banning it, that's not what I stand for, but at the same time you have to take notice of it.
Reply 9
Original post by Habibul Bashar
Leslie Winkle!

There is a lot of hypocrisy indeed.

These women are of a different generation though and I think the majority of 21-year old women would find something like this utterly disgusting and wouldn't even joke about it.

Women back in the day could get away more easily with joking about this sort of thing. They had few chances to succeed in life and one of their main forms of 'power' was their sexual allure to men.

These women are just part of a sorry phase where powerful women are able to get away with sexism against males.

I'm pretty sure that phase is coming to an end. It may take a generation or two to completely go, and longer perhaps in removing other female privileges.

I'm not too familiar with Leslie Winkle? Or was she the sane-minded woman on that show?

I'd like to hope that they do too.
Original post by Kiss
I'm not too familiar with Leslie Winkle? Or was she the sane-minded woman on that show?

I'd like to hope that they do too.

Yes the sane-minded woman plays the character of Leslie Winkle on The Big Bang Theory
People laugh at some things just out of embarrassment or because of the extremity of the thing they are seeing - it's a release mechanism. It doesn't necessarily mean they morally subscribe to the thing they are laughing over.
Reply 12
what I find strangest is that men are considered a majority group. its 50:50 damnit, we don't outnumber you!

although more on topic I have seen that video before and it is sickening, people actually cheering the fact that a man was horrifically mutilated. completely ****ed up, the guy didn't even do anything remotely wrong let alone something that would justify her response.
Reply 13
Original post by Fullofsurprises
People laugh at some things just out of embarrassment or because of the extremity of the thing they are seeing - it's a release mechanism. It doesn't necessarily mean they morally subscribe to the thing they are laughing over.

That isn't the point, the point here is that it's more sociably acceptable to laugh at a guy having his genitals mutilated than girls. I'm not advocating censorship of sick jokes, that wouldn't viably fair, rather that there should be less of a prejudice towards men over women when it comes to certain things like the aforementioned.
Original post by Kiss
That isn't the point, the point here is that it's more sociably acceptable to laugh at a guy having his genitals mutilated than girls. I'm not advocating censorship of sick jokes, that wouldn't viably fair, rather that there should be less of a prejudice towards men over women when it comes to certain things like the aforementioned.

When you watch the video, the first big laugh comes from the presenter saying how "it was thrown in the waste disposal" - it was funny, because of the incongruity, classic roots of humour stuff. There really wasn't a big anti-male thing going on in that laugh, any more than there would be if a male comedian was including this material in a standup routine.

I suspect the problem people are having here is that a group of women are laughing over it, but really, why shouldn't they?? It doesn't mean they are recommending it as a new code of conduct for WAGs.
Reply 15
When you watch the video, the first big laugh comes from the presenter saying how "it was thrown in the waste disposal" - it was funny, because of the incongruity, classic roots of humour stuff. There really wasn't a big anti-male thing going on in that laugh, any more than there would be if a male comedian was including this material in a standup routine.

I suspect the problem people are having here is that a group of women are laughing over it, but really, why shouldn't they?? It doesn't mean they are recommending it as a new code of conduct for WAGs.

Because the amount of times men are blamed for outlandish jokes pertaining to women, ie rape or female domestic abuse, they are labelled as sexist and offensive, yet when it happens for a guy it's viewed as hilarious by a group which asserts itself as feminist - it's not really helping itself or the problems of sexism.
Original post by Kiss
Because the amount of times men are blamed for outlandish jokes pertaining to women, ie rape or female domestic abuse, they are labelled as sexist and offensive, yet when it happens for a guy it's viewed as hilarious by a group which asserts itself as feminist - it's not really helping itself or the problems of sexism.

It's to do with the context - men have historically been in the role of sexist oppressor of women (and still are in many places and situations) and are generally the perpetrator of violence against women, rather than the other way around. It's very wierd for a woman to act in this way and to some extent intrinsically funny because of that. Women acting violently towards men is widely seen as amusing in all kinds of cultures and is often depicted in comedy shows for example, or the threat of it. There is a big moral difference between men making crude jokes about violent rape, when this remains a large and real threat to women and this ludicrously rare event.
It's to do with the context - men have historically been in the role of sexist oppressor of women (and still are in many places and situations) and are generally the perpetrator of violence against women, rather than the other way around. It's very wierd for a woman to act in this way and to some extent intrinsically funny because of that. Women acting violently towards men is widely seen as amusing in all kinds of cultures and is often depicted in comedy shows for example, or the threat of it. There is a big moral difference between men making crude jokes about violent rape, when this remains a large and real threat to women and this ludicrously rare event.

What do you think has a higher report rate, male rape or female rape?

I agree with you ,aside,its subjective as to how far you are willing to allow certain jokes to go, regardless of the current roles of men and women.
Original post by Thriftworks
What do you think has a higher report rate, male rape or female rape?

I agree with you ,aside,its subjective as to how far you are willing to allow certain jokes to go, regardless of the current roles of men and women.

Are you talking about men raping men? If you don't mean that, then you are inconceivably trivialising rape and being ridiculous. If you do mean that, then I can easily agree that it is doubtless under-reported.
Reply 19

Historical context may explain the double standard but it doesn't justify it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending