The Student Room Group

OCR MEI AS Further Mathematics FP1 13/05/2013 PM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UKBrah
Sick scores mate, I got 97 UMS in Jan C1 and im trying to get even higher in C2 so I can make space for errors in S1 which Im not gonna do well in.

With my AS further maths, Im doing NM/D1 with FP1 which isn't ideal for me. I got NM on friday, no clue how that'll go down. D1 is on the 6th of June so obvs a while to go. Im not gonna lie, I don't know crap for it.. Only know a bit on algorithms like bin packing etc/the minimum connector algorithms are decent/CPA I have no clue on/LP is ok and simulation no clue about it. From the 24th of May im gonna have 2 exams which are CHEM2 on the 4th and D1 on the 6th. Assuming my chem revision goes well, is 24th to 6th june enough time to get myself a high B/A in D1?

There are a ton of algorithms but they are pointless, I only saw one question on a D1 paper with them on, and you only had to know one. I would say just learn one type of each algorithm.
There is always an LP question, but it is essentially just messing around with inequalities, pretty easy to learn.
Simulation is an absolute nightmare, I never understood it and flunked a ton of marks because of it, hence the B.
There is usually a general algorithm question, which is awkward but often pretty easy.
There is usually a graph theory question and networks question. Then usually a reasonably big question where you plot events on one of them weird network graph things.

As long as you learn how to do them 6 things well, getting an A should be pretty easy. I never did NM so I can't really say anything. But D1 is quite tedious most of the time, although I found D2 rather enjoyable (second to last exam so plenty of time to revise :biggrin:)
For the cubic where you had to replace the z with (3w + 3) or something
Did anybody else get seriously high numbers? Like ......... +180w - 78 kind of values?
Was there some cancelling to do or did I simply replace with the wrong thing?

Other than that I think I picked up nearly all the marks! The induction took a good while though
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 122
Original post by lemongrass
Did anybody else get seriously high numbers? Like ......... +180w - 78 kind of values?

Other than that I think I picked up nearly all the marks! The induction took a good while though

At first I got large numbers (not the ones you stated), but the question stated simplest form so I simplfied. The answer was stated a few pages back.
has anyone got the paper?
Original post by UKBrah
Banged this paper, seeing as all my revision went into this! Hoping for 71/72 assuming everything else was good, the question with the singular matrix, I showed that det(M) = 0 however I couldn't relate it to the transformation itself. Mate says the correct answer was "many to one" but not sure what this means :/

Don't know if someone else has answered your question yet. But your friend is right. Many to one means that there were infinite solutions to the inverse. Ie there are an infinite amount of points on the line y=2. As every point on that line was mapped onto -2,2 you cant have an inverse as there are infinite possibilities, ie 'many possible co-ordinates to one co-ordinate'
the last question about M and what it meant???
Original post by lemongrass

what you did was right but you could take out a multiple of 3 i think to simplify
would probably lose 1 mark for not taking out the 3
who actually remembers all the questions?
Original post by kidomo
who actually remembers all the questions?

No need, someone posted the actual test paper
Now that the test paper was posted, I redid the paper assuming I did it the same and rememebered what I put. I think I did much better than I expected. Anyone willing to guess grade boundaries. I would say despite it being pretty hard, the examiners can be a bit ruthless, like Jan2013 test was 63 for an A...and it was a hard test... Hoping that it's about 60 for an A.
Original post by theCreator
Now that the test paper was posted, I redid the paper assuming I did it the same and rememebered what I put. I think I did much better than I expected. Anyone willing to guess grade boundaries. I would say despite it being pretty hard, the examiners can be a bit ruthless, like Jan2013 test was 63 for an A...and it was a hard test... Hoping that it's about 60 for an A.

The FP1 Jan13 test was 48 for an A, not 63.

http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/Jan2013Marks_Grades.pdf
Reply 131
I didn't like this paper at all :frown:
I will probably need to retake it next year
100% who else is among the 90+ elites?
Reply 133
Not 100% unfortunately, 70/72 looks likely. Theres always C2.
Reply 134
what was the answer for the inequality question? Also did anyone else multiply everything by 2 in the standard formulae question to make it work?
Original post by joshdrew2
what was the answer for the inequality question? Also did anyone else multiply everything by 2 in the standard formulae question to make it work?

In the stand formulae question. I got all the terms in the big bracket (which has a quadratic in it) to be divisible by 2 so I just took a factor of 2 out, and then multiplied that by 1/6, so I got 1/3 and a nicer bracket, which then could be made into the correct answer.
Original post by theCreator
No need, someone posted the actual test paper

Where is the paper? /If anyone has it please could they upload it here.
Original post by profit_master3
Where is the paper? /If anyone has it please could they upload it here.

UKBrah did post the paper but i'll repost it again for you.
FP1 Test page 1.jpgFP1 Test page 2.jpgFP1 Test page 3.jpg
Reply 138
Any ideas as to the grade boundary for an a? (Sorry if this has already been asked)
Original post by cbnz
Any ideas as to the grade boundary for an a? (Sorry if this has already been asked)

Probably around 58

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending