The Student Room Group

A girl alone at a bar

What would you think if you saw a young girl (21) alone at a bar?

Does it look a bit pathetic? I'm new to Cambridge and haven't had a chance to meet people outside of my workplace. A lot of my friends live far away and it's a bit lonely at times. I kinda want to meet new people, but I'm a little introverted. I go to the gym and stuff, but I have a hard time introducing myself to people. At least at a bar, people easily approach you, and once that happens, I'm normally alright.

But honestly, what would your reaction be?
Reply 1
It sounds bit desperate, but you never know who you gone to meet :smile:
Reply 2
My honest reaction would be to talk to you ! Might be a little weird when you arrive and have no one to talk to (try your best to talk to someone, it gets easier) and if people ask who you're with, but as long as you explain this it shouldn't be too bad. Besides, I've always found that I get approached ALOT more if I'm on my own at a bar rather than going out with others so you could make some new friends this way, although it's not quite the same as you taking up a hobby/joining a club and making a group of friends but you probably don't have time. Also I live in Cambridge too, people are nice here !
Reply 3
I think guys would approach you. Probably not many girls though.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Smurf
I think guys would approach you. Probably not many girls though.
This is true, most of the people approaching would not be looking for friendship....
Reply 5
Do you know about meet up groups ?

http://www.meetup.com

apologies if this link doesn't work

I go to some (not in Cambridge though) - can be really different things
pub crawls, dining out , pot painting, walks etc with good age ranges (some groups are specifically for younger people)

It could be an alternative if you just want to meet different people
Reply 6
Original post by b-brush
Do you know about meet up groups ?

http://www.meetup.com

apologies if this link doesn't work

I go to some (not in Cambridge though) - can be really different things
pub crawls, dining out , pot painting, walks etc with good age ranges (some groups are specifically for younger people)

It could be an alternative if you just want to meet different people

That's brilliant! Thanks.
I wouldn't think of it as pathetic. I'd just assume you wanted a night out but none of your friends were available. And if you told me you were new to the town, it would all make sense.

(...I might hit on you though. I'm too shy to flirt with people who are with their friends, but I can just about pluck up the courage to hit on people by themselves.)
Probably assume they were waiting for friends, and if I was on my own or my friends were talking to someone else/hitting on someone I'd probably chat to them :biggrin:
Reply 9
Depending on the type of area you live in - a local pub might be better than a bar. That is how I got to know a fair few people in an area I moved into. I started off just going in and sitting up at the bar with my paper in the evenings and gradually got to know some of the bar staff and regulars. Even met an ex-girlfriend in there. I suppose it depends how friendly the area is and how 'local' the place is. I mean, I can't imagine it being like that in an anonymous town centre bar and also, I come from up North and I think that people are more likely to get chatting with strangers than down south but having only been to Cambridge once - I don't know what the score is down there.
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
What would you think if you saw a young girl (21) alone at a bar?

Does it look a bit pathetic? I'm new to Cambridge and haven't had a chance to meet people outside of my workplace. A lot of my friends live far away and it's a bit lonely at times. I kinda want to meet new people, but I'm a little introverted. I go to the gym and stuff, but I have a hard time introducing myself to people. At least at a bar, people easily approach you, and once that happens, I'm normally alright.

But honestly, what would your reaction be?

I would approach and speak to you, I find it difficult to approach a group of people. Personally, I think its brave of you and wish I was more confident to do so. I dont have many friends mysellf but have recently joined a few groups through the Meetups.com website. I went along to boardgames evening they had organised in a pub and had a really good time. I strongly recommend you join a group in your area.

Hope you meet new people soon :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending