The Student Room Group

Why is FGM Off-Limits To Joke About.......

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tabzqt
Historical context may explain the double standard but it doesn't justify it.

Actually, it does. The situation would be clear if, for example, we watch a black comedian making jokes about white people's behaviour. In that context, we would not call 'racist', because black people have so often and in so many ways been the butt of vicious white racism, that there must be some license extended to black comedians. The same applies to women.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Are you talking about men raping men? If you don't mean that, then you are inconceivably trivialising rape and being ridiculous. If you do mean that, then I can easily agree that it is doubtless under-reported.

I don't think male victims that have been raped by females would share your view that mentioning them is being ridiculous. Women are capable of commiting rape and some do.

Aside

Yes Women on men, men on men, transsexuals on men doesn't matter.
Original post by Thriftworks
I don't think male victims that have been raped by females would share your view that mentioning them is being ridiculous. Women are capable of commiting rape and some do.

Aside

Yes Women on men, men on men, transsexuals on men doesn't matter.

Lol, keep taking the unreality pills.
Reply 23
Actually, it does. The situation would be clear if, for example, we watch a black comedian making jokes about white people's behaviour. In that context, we would not call 'racist', because black people have so often and in so many ways been the butt of vicious white racism, that there must be some license extended to black comedians. The same applies to women.

Um, no it doesn't. That's still not justifiable, you're just explaining why it's happened. Would you also argue that it's okay for a black person to beat up a white person because of years of oppression? It's really the same principle when you think about it:

1) racism is wrong
2) but it's okay for black people to be racist because of the oppression they have suffered

1) assaulting someone is wrong
2) but it's okay for black people to assault someone because of the oppression they have suffered.

Where do you draw the line?
Lol, keep taking the unreality pills.

Is this a joke, are you honestly arguing that there have been ZERO rapes by women on men since the start of time?
Original post by Tabzqt
Um, no it doesn't. That's still not justifiable, you're just explaining why it's happened. Would you also argue that it's okay for a black person to beat up a white person because of years of oppression? It's really the same principle when you think about it:

1) racism is wrong
2) but it's okay for black people to be racist because of the oppression they have suffered

1) assaulting someone is wrong
2) but it's okay for black people to assault someone because of the oppression they have suffered.

Where do you draw the line?

The line is subjective and subject to debate.
Is this a joke, are you honestly arguing that there have been ZERO rapes by women on men since the start of time?

Are you honestly seeking to make a case that women rape men as much as men rape women, or that the two are in any way equivalent?? Please. Let's hope you are never recruited into the police.
Gosh, those women in the show are so annoying. How on earth can they dismiss that cutting off a penis, is just as bad as cutting off a breast.

It's more than just a case of double standards.
Are you honestly seeking to make a case that women rape men as much as men rape women, or that the two are in any way equivalent?? Please. Let's hope you are never recruited into the police.

Nope, of course I wasn't making that case. I was saying that women DO rape men, that it DOES happen. I wasn't making reference to the frequency, this is an obvious fact now can you stop being pedantic and just accept it.
Nope, of course I wasn't making that case. I was saying that women DO rape men, that it DOES happen. I wasn't making reference to the frequency, this is an obvious fact now can you stop being pedantic and just accept it.

It's just a standard tactic of anti-feminists to claim (originally coming out of the Rights for Fathers movement in divorce battles) that "men have it as bad as women" in gender relations and therefore there is no need for feminism. It's rubbish and we need to say so.

That said, I don't disagree that it sometimes happens, I'm just saying that it is often raised as false evidence that women are not the primary victims of rape.

The most typical situation where female-on-male rape occurs is where older women force boys or young males into sex - this is clearly wrong and needs addressing with seriousness. I believe the authorities do prosecute such cases, in the case of female teachers for example.
It's just a standard tactic of anti-feminists to claim (originally coming out of the Rights for Fathers movement in divorce battles) that "men have it as bad as women" in gender relations and therefore there is no need for feminism. It's rubbish and we need to say so.

That said, I don't disagree that it sometimes happens, I'm just saying that it is often raised as false evidence that women are not the primary victims of rape.

The most typical situation where female-on-male rape occurs is where older women force boys or young males into sex - this is clearly wrong and needs addressing with seriousness. I believe the authorities do prosecute such cases, in the case of female teachers for example.

That wasn't so hard was it?
Reply 31
The same reason in films a women kneeing the male in the balls is seen as hilarious...or the same reason why my female housemates think they can hit me when I make a joke...For some reason it is seen socially acceptable for females to be violent to males.
Original post by McHumpy92
The same reason in films a women kneeing the male in the balls is seen as hilarious...or the same reason why my female housemates think they can hit me when I make a joke...For some reason it is seen socially acceptable for females to be violent to males.

Well said.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 33
There is a big moral difference between men making crude jokes about violent rape, when this remains a large and real threat to women and this ludicrously rare event.

How are you supposed to separate yourself from all those you think you're better than if you go about making jokes about the hardships of which others endure?

No it doesn't........

You're saying that a double standard is justified purely on the basis that one group hasn't suffered as much, despite the fact that whites and men suffer discrimination based upon their biological make up. It's still racist.

You're being very ignorant there if you're suggesting for a second that violence against men/sexism against men by women doesn't exist.

No, you've gone further to say that a double standard of laughing at a male victim isn't offensive, you said so in your earlier post.

They still don't receive the same sentence as male perpetrators, and that is a fact.
Reply 34
Original post by Kiss
They still don't receive the same sentence as male perpetrators, and that is a fact.

Source?
Reply 35
Original post by rlw31
Source?

http://www.wnd.com/2013/04/39783/

Average male sentence ranges from 7-12 years, this list ranges from non-imprisonment with a fine and restraining order to seven years max. Majority of cases are 1-3 years for women.
Reply 36
Original post by Kiss

Average male sentence ranges from 7-12 years, this list ranges from non-imprisonment with a fine and restraining order to seven years max. Majority of cases are 1-3 years for women.

Where in the article does it mention average sentences? I clicked on "print" to bring up all 13 pages of the article and the word "average" could not be found.
Reply 37

Original post by rlw31
Where in the article does it mention average sentences? I clicked on "print" to bring up all 13 pages of the article and the word "average" could not be found.

Well?
Original post by Kiss

That article is about the US - presumably we're discussing the UK, this being a UK website.
Reply 39
That article is about the US - presumably we're discussing the UK, this being a UK website.

It doesn't really say anything either. It's just a list of female teacher-student relationships. Some of them haven't been substantiated and some of the women on that list haven't been convicted of anything. How that proves that women [on average?] don't receive the same sentences as men, I don't know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending