The Student Room Group

Can anyone give me some tips on English literature Unit 1 exam ???

What should i revise on , what should i do to get the higher marks and how should i approach the questions? - I'm studying an inspector calls and of mice and men
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends what you're studying really for what you should revise, but to get the higher marks our teacher told us to do word level analysis with multiple interpretations, use quotes where relevant and make sure to paragraph as you can lose marks if you don't. She also said use sophisticated language as this makes it sound like you know what you're on about. Hope I helped slightly :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Toriar
It depends what you're studying really for what you should revise, but to get the higher marks our teacher told us to do word level analysis with multiple interpretations, use quotes where relevant and make sure to paragraph as you can lose marks if you don't. She also said use sophisticated language as this makes it sound like you know what you're on about. Hope I helped slightly :smile:

Are you studying of mice and men and An inspector call?
Reply 3
Original post by Qiness
Are you studying of mice and men and An inspector call?

I'm studying of mice and men and woman in black :smile:
Reply 4
For inspector calls the questions are normally based on a character so learning lots of quotes on this section should help as well as thing like comparision between the generations.
Reply 5
Original post by Toriar
I'm studying of mice and men and woman in black :smile:

Is there going to be 3 questions in the exam for you ?
Reply 6
Original post by social outcast
For inspector calls the questions are normally based on a character so learning lots of quotes on this section should help as well as thing like comparision between the generations.

Thanks a lot, can i ask you another questions?
Reply 7
Original post by Qiness
Is there going to be 3 questions in the exam for you ?

Yeah I think there are 2 on omam and then 1 on wib
Reply 8
Original post by Toriar
Yeah I think there are 2 on omam and then 1 on wib

Are we suppose to answer both of the questions on omam?
Reply 9
Original post by Qiness
Are we suppose to answer both of the questions on omam?

Yep I'll tell you what I have written from my revision lesson the other day:

45 minutes on omam
2 questions - part a and part b
Part A is a question about an extract and you should aim for 3 PEE paragraphs with 3 quotes
Part B you need to continue the theme in part A but in the whole novel and in the context of the social situation of the USA at that time
Original post by Qiness
Thanks a lot, can i ask you another questions?

Of Course
Reply 11
Original post by Toriar

45 minutes on omam
Part A is a question about an extract and you should aim for 3 PEE paragraphs with 3 quotes
Part B you need to continue the theme in part A but in the whole novel and in the context of the social situation of the USA at that time

Thank you very much :biggrin:
Reply 12
Of Course

How would you approach the questions, would most of the questions be asking for the same type of answers? Like examiner wants to see an understanding of something from a the students?
Original post by Qiness
How would you approach the questions, would most of the questions be asking for the same type of answers? Like examiner wants to see an understanding of something from a the students?

Well first of all dont bother with an introduction its a waste of time. Nearly all the questions are character based so use PEE or PEA . You obivoulously have to show a understanding but to get top part you have to show that your thinking is original so try dont to learn a revision guide of by heart.The phrasing of the questions is normally quite different from year to year but they all really mean the same thing. When you get the question jot down key points and some quotations and page numbers then you can write the essay like you would normally. Good Luck when are you taking the exam?
For anyone studying To Kill a Mockingbird or The Crucible, I studied these two works last year for my AQA English Literature GCSE and got an A*

My revision notes can be downloaded from this site. Must have taken me about 100 hours to finish all of these!!

www.revision-notes.com

There are also notes on the poetry anthology and all the other GCSE Subjects which I sat exams in.

Ella xx
Original post by revision-notes
For anyone studying To Kill a Mockingbird or The Crucible, I studied these two works last year for my AQA English Literature GCSE and got an A*

My revision notes can be downloaded from this site. Must have taken me about 100 hours to finish all of these!!

www.revision-notes.com

There are also notes on the poetry anthology and all the other GCSE Subjects which I sat exams in.

Ella xx

Thank you. You have saved my life :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Well first of all dont bother with an introduction its a waste of time. Nearly all the questions are character based so use PEE or PEA . You obivoulously have to show a understanding but to get top part you have to show that your thinking is original so try dont to learn a revision guide of by heart.The phrasing of the questions is normally quite different from year to year but they all really mean the same thing. When you get the question jot down key points and some quotations and page numbers then you can write the essay like you would normally. Good Luck when are you taking the exam?

thank yous and my exam is next week Monday
Reply 17
Original post by revision-notes

www.revision-notes.com

Ella xx

Thanks theres no content for OMAM neither AIC
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Toriar

45 minutes on omam

How was your exam?
Reply 19

How was your exam?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending