Arsey's Edexcel M1 Summer 2013 Model Solutions BOTH PAPERS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Sylosis
im telling you i killed it
75/75

well done mate
Original post by ljh950912
I'm saying these questions are not 'typical'. Yes, They have come up a few times but they are not the standard questions that come up on every single paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you won't expect them to give A grades on a plate, if they gave questions that were on every single paper most people would get full marks
I hammered C1 but was hammered myself by this one :frown:

Looks like it will be a retake for me next summer.
The paper I did was completely different too. The first question was impulse and they said the impulse was 14Ns or something like that. I think question 7 was a truck and car question where you had to find R, the braking force. The last question was a horrible moments question where you had to find mass. Did anyone do this paper? (I'm an international student as well, I took the paper yesterday.)
Reply 124
probably the worst examI have ever done.
Reply 125
On Q3 I had a shocker and thought the particle was about to slide down the slope. :frown:
Will I lose all 8 marks for this question?
Ive counted 70 out of my own memory but I dont trust that :L as optomistic as I want to be im guessing reality is probabaly 55-60! screwed up my answer for the inclined plane even though that was the thing I put most of my efforts into :frown:

Hopefully there are some method marks to be had there!
Original post by michelleeeee
The paper I did was completely different too. The first question was impulse and they said the impulse was 14Ns or something like that. I think question 7 was a truck and car question where you had to find R, the braking force. The last question was a horrible moments question where you had to find mass. Did anyone do this paper? (I'm an international student as well, I took the paper yesterday.)

Yep I did the same one!! Do you remember any answers?? I found it difficult (mainly time pressure though).
Original post by leafy9
You know, I think we can say for sure that the international students did a completely different paper. Yup, my first question had impulse of 14Ns and question 7 was a truck and car question.
:smile:
Don't have the paper though..

I'm an international student and haven't done the paper you're talking about:confused:
There were four questions that were not typical:
1. the woman and the lift question where you had to find the magnitude exerted on the woman by the lift
2. the magnitude that the pulley receives
3. the moments question
4. the time taken for the motorbike to overtake the car. Pastpapers only included one of these type of questions at most. This is the reason why so many people struggled.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those two questions have been featured numerous amount of times in past papers and Solomons, take a look at Jun 09 (I think) it had both. I can agree with you on the moments question and I haven't taken much of a look at the motorbike one so can't comment.
Will there be a follow through for Question 6 b?
Reply 131
Original post by yl95
I put '3sqt8*mg/5N'. I know, the newtons was unnecessary and the surd wasn't in its simplified form. I used Pythagoras.
I also said 45 degrees to the vertical downwards.

that sounds fine to me
Original post by Arsey
Looking at past papers when you have access to mark schemes, model answers and not in the pressure of an actual exam is completely different.

This paper was not in the same league as Jan 09. If you had taken the Jan 09 paper yesterday and had never seen it before, the markers would be marking your tears of pain.

Q1 - easy, standard momentum

Q2 - easy, but could cause confusion

Q3 - standard, not easy but should be okay if you had hammered the past papers

Q4 - very easy kinematics

Q5 - fairly easy speed time graph, the 10 seconds later may have caused problems though

Q6 - hard

Q7 - very easy vectors

Q8 - very easy connected particles. The last bit doesn't get asked too often but it is easy.

If this paper is below 60/75 for 80ums I will be absolutely amazed!!!

Arsey how would you compare this paper to Jan 2013?
Reply 133
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Those two questions have been featured numerous amount of times in past papers and Solomons, take a look at Jun 09 (I think) it had both. I can agree with you on the moments question and I haven't taken much of a look at the motorbike one so can't comment.

Here is a similar (but harder) moments question from June 01

Question 5
Reply 134
There were four questions that were not typical:
1. the woman and the lift question where you had to find the magnitude exerted on the woman by the lift
2. the magnitude that the pulley receives
3. the moments question
4. the time taken for the motorbike to overtake the car. Pastpapers only included one of these type of questions at most. This is the reason why so many people struggled.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with this, I did every past paper since 01 and only remember the lift question coming up once? The magnitude the pulley receives also must have come up around 3 - 5 times maximum.
Reply 135

You're aware that the 80 UMS grade boundary in June '09 was 55/75 right?
I think this feels like a 59 - 61/75 for an A. I also don't think I made the cut. Hopefully C1 and C2 can bring me back over the line though.
Reply 136
Arsey how would you compare this paper to Jan 2013?

Momentum - similar

Moments - harder

Inclined plane - similar, Jan was dynamics which is harder than statics but June 13 had the inclined tension.

speed time graph - harder, Jan 13 was a joke

Vectors - much easier

Connected particles - much easier

there was a statics question on Jan 13 that caused problems, June 13 had a very easy kinematics and the lift question.

So overall I would say it was a little bit easier. It was 64 for an A in Jan but Jan boundaries tend to be a little lower.

my guess would be around 64 for an A again.
Original post by Arsey

that sounds fine to me

Sorry to bother you again, but for the bearings question, I put 315 without the degrees sign. Mark deducted or ignored?
Reply 138
Arsey, for the elevator question i wrote what was needed for 3 marks but also wrote another incorrect solution. will they ignore this altogether or give credit for what i did do?
grade boundary predictions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending