The Student Room Group

POST-MORTEM: AQA Additional Science Biology B2 (May 2013)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Oh yeah, I got 4 and 8, but surely the offspring will have 12 chromosomes?
Reply 21
Okay I'm jet going to try and recall what I wrote for Q8, what did you guys write?

8a) They duplicate.
8b) Something about having to replicate so that when the cell splits into two they are the same as the original?
8c) They may have been descendants from a common ancestor because Species B has double the number of chromosomes as Species A and because they can successfully interbreed.
8d) They can no longer interbreed because there may have been a mutation in the alleles or… idek

Totally messed up there.
Reply 22
Original post by Hgat

Yeah I also put 12.
Reply 23
Original post by HugeBicepLAD
AQA just got dicked by the HugeBicepLAD but unfortunately or fortunately my huge biceps lead me to believe that the HEXA enzyme didnt work because the amino acids would have been coded differently so the protein would have been a different shape so the substrate would no longer fit into the active site thus my biceps.. I mean the enzyme would not work

Did everyone mention substrate and active site for the one about why a change in DNA would affect the enzyme ?

I didn't.

i just talked about how it wouldn't work cos DNA is made of four bases which work in threes and then these code for amino acids which are enzymes etc. And if the bases in Dna were changed then the enzyme would not work.
Reply 24
For the numbers in the box the answers were 4 then 8 and the offspring would have 8 chromosomes in the body cell

Original post by Hgat

Original post by CathRM26
Yeah I also put 12.

It would appear there are quite a few contradicting opinions on the matter... I got 8, due to some kind of irrational change of mind from my original answer of 12, but we'll see.
I'll try and find something solid on Google.
Question 1:
a) Xylem and phloem
b)Diffusion is the net movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration down its concentration gradient.
c)Oxygen
I hope it went quite well but I did Foundation so yeah.
Original post by scottystreet
It would appear there are quite a few contradicting opinions on the matter... I got 8, due to some kind of irrational change of mind from my original answer of 12, but we'll see.
I'll try and find something solid on Google.

I had 12 and 8 lined up but I recognized it could be 8 because only 8 matched up
Ok so for q3 I wrote 7 and a half BUT WHY IS NOONE DISCUSSING THE Q WHERE IT SAID HOW MANY CHROMOSOMES DOES A PLANT HAVE. I WENT ON GOOGLE AND IT SAID DEPENDS ON THE TYPE OF PLANT???
Original post by CathRM26
Okay I'm jet going to try and recall what I wrote for Q8, what did you guys write?

8a) They duplicate.
8b) Something about having to replicate so that when the cell splits into two they are the same as the original?
8c) They may have been descendants from a common ancestor because Species B has double the number of chromosomes as Species A and because they can successfully interbreed.
8d) They can no longer interbreed because there may have been a mutation in the alleles or… idek

Totally messed up there.

for 8a) I wrote they have two because one from maternal and one from paternal, can anyone confirm the answer?
Reply 30
Original post by techno-thriller
Ok so for q3 I wrote 7 and a half BUT WHY IS NOONE DISCUSSING THE Q WHERE IT SAID HOW MANY CHROMOSOMES DOES A PLANT HAVE. I WENT ON GOOGLE AND IT SAID DEPENDS ON THE TYPE OF PLANT???

You just had to count them, there were 8
Reply 31
I had 12 and 8 lined up but I recognized it could be 8 because only 8 matched up

Just found some stuff about the Przewalski horse reproducing with the wild horse (http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/horses/przewalski/).
Gametes are 32 and 33. They reproduce to form offspring with 65 chromosomes. Therefore, the answer in the exam would have been 12.
DAMN. I got it wrong.
Original post by Hgat
You just had to count them, there were 8

stupid me I wrote 46!
Original post by techno-thriller

Its different for all plants, you just had to count them so 8 and 16 and then divide by two to get the amount in a gamete so 4 and 8
Reply 34
Anyone doing biology next year? (I can't decide between biology and economics)
Original post by Hgat

hell no. I've just burnt the biology sectionod the book
Reply 36
Original post by Hgat

Don't do Biology. I know a guy who did Biology, and he regrets it. (Mind you, he also regrets taking Maths, so...)
Reply 37
Original post by Hgat

yep unfortunately :frown:

damn I really needed an A* in this one. I did about 11 past papers but still found the exam difficult today - it was the one on transects which caught me out initially and then Question 8 I just totally blanked on.
for 8a) I wrote they have two because one from maternal and one from paternal, can anyone confirm the answer?

M8 do you even lift?
Reply 39
I don't think I read the 6 marker correctly, can any one remember it?!?!
(I thought i did it fine, but now i can't remember) :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending