The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology SCLY1 Family & Households 13th May 2013.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by gloriousgloria
Is anyone doing or has done the unit 2 exam (education and methods), and would like to pass on good some advice :tongue:

It's so much easier than unit 1. Know methods in context well as unless you link the 2nd section question to the issue your marks stay low. Time is tight again so just keep writing and focusing. Relax,, my friend forgot what theoretical issues were for the 3rd section and still got 10/20 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 561
Original post by AliceD
It's so much easier than unit 1. Know methods in context well as unless you link the 2nd section question to the issue your marks stay low. Time is tight again so just keep writing and focusing. Relax,, my friend forgot what theoretical issues were for the 3rd section and still got 10/20 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep if you just write generic advantages and disadvantages of the research method without relating to the context you could still get up to 10 marks.
Reply 562
Original post by hasan-1-
People who wrote about parsons and bott in the first essay, i don't think those studies may be relevant as it said factors AFFECTING power and division of labour , parsons doesnt give factors he just says they're suited to the roles, and bott just identifies two roles

Yeah I wrote about Parsons etc but stuck to the REASONS, such as labour saving devices, industrial changes which led to the separation of paid work from home, shift in norms, paid work, gender roles and men earning more money. Oh also patriarchal society.
People who wrote about parsons and bott in the first essay, i don't think those studies may be relevant as it said factors AFFECTING power and division of labour , parsons doesnt give factors he just says they're suited to the roles, and bott just identifies two roles

Yep - what did you say the main factors were? I said social class, social networks and the woman's career or job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 564
Did you explain how they effect how the domestic labour is split?! I put social class, type of family and geographical mobility/privatised family?!?!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophtommo
Question 3 was 3 reasons for Divorce rate apart from Laws DID MY WALES WORK YES IT DID

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I remembered that WALES thing and it actually helped a lot!
...Not that I could remember what A or E stood for :P But it still saved me from missing a question.

The paper on the whole was a dream. I knew every answer even though I've done probably a week of studying! Definitely got at least 30 marks. So hopefully a C or above :smile:
Reply 566
Original post by Throwerwhey
Haha, I remembered that WALES thing and it actually helped a lot!
...Not that I could remember what A or E stood for :P But it still saved me from missing a question.

The paper on the whole was a dream. I knew every answer even though I've done probably a week of studying! Definitely got at least 30 marks. So hopefully a C or above :smile:

That's great......wish i could say the same!
dw what you have wrote sounds really good !!! :biggrin:
Original post by asixthformer
I finished so late that the examiner shut me in the exam hall and I had to bang on the door to get out :L!

did you get more than an hour then?
if i didn't link back to the item for the assess question, does this limit my mark?
Original post by brightbulb
if i didn't link back to the item for the assess question, does this limit my mark?

Yes
Yes

For my Functionalist question, I talked about um, Murdock four function, Parson function fit theory and the used eg. And then I talked about his irreducible functions only nuclear family do. THEN I just criszted it with Marxist and Feminist and then used Marxist Fem Ansley with her **** takers stuff. I also kept linking back to the damn question,

Is that enough? ;/
Reply 572
Original post by AnimeCrazy
For my Functionalist question, I talked about um, Murdock four function, Parson function fit theory and the used eg. And then I talked about his irreducible functions only nuclear family do. THEN I just criszted it with Marxist and Feminist and then used Marxist Fem Ansley with her **** takers stuff. I also kept linking back to the damn question,

Is that enough? ;/

yeah that's exactly what i did! i think given the time limit and how we get 1 mark per minute then hopefully it should be enough! idk though.
Original post by chellls
yeah that's exactly what i did! i think given the time limit and how we get 1 mark per minute then hopefully it should be enough! idk though.

Ooooooh! Hopefully we got at least more than 50% in that question :biggrin:

God, I cant wait for results day.
Reply 574
I don't know if I've messed up or not. I didn't do any past papers or even timed essays prior to that exam. So I don't know if I have written in the correct exam style.

I opened the question booklet and for the first 5 minutes I sat there in amazement at how good the questions were.

For the first question regarding power relationships and division of labour I mentioned the likes of Bott, Young & Wilmott, Parsons, Hardill, Pahl & Vogler, Dobash & Dobash and Oakley.

For the second essay I outlined the functionalist perspective by using Murdock, Parsons' two functions, Parsons functional fit and criticised these points with Zaretsky, Millet, Oakley and other criticisms.

I feel that I focused too much on naming and criticising sociologists as oppose to expanding on the points I made and explaining them.

What do you guys think from what I have said?

Hope the exam went okay for everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 575
Original post by Jrph
I don't know if I've messed up or not. I didn't do any past papers or even timed essays prior to that exam. So I don't know if I have written in the correct exam style.

I opened the question booklet and for the first 5 minutes I sat there in amazement at how good the questions were.

For the first question regarding power relationships and division of labour I mentioned the likes of Bott, Young & Wilmott, Parsons, Hardill, Pahl & Vogler, Dobash & Dobash and Oakley.

For the second essay I outlined the functionalist perspective by using Murdock, Parsons' two functions, Parsons functional fit and criticised these points with Zaretsky, Millet, Oakley and other criticisms.

I feel that I focused too much on naming and criticising sociologists as oppose to expanding on the points I made and explaining them.

What do you guys think from what I have said?

Hope the exam went okay for everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's exactly what I did kind of,basically when I mentioned the critics I explained what they said and why they criticised a certain point then I tried to refer it back to the questions. As long as you mentioned your AO1 and AO2 while using key terminology then you should be fine.Also did you list the points? Structure is important to gain high marks too.
Reply 576
I didn't list them, no. But I was incredibly rushed for time and resorted to using the vocabulary of a two-year-old so I'm not entirely certain that my key terminology was evident.

It's so frustrating because I know that I know it but it's just trying to convey my knowledge within a certain period of time and under pressure. But unfortunately that's what exams are like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
what does quota sampling mean ????
Original post by Work1
Hi guys,
the exam was 'ok' could have done much better, and would of save time if iknew how pathetic these questions will be, would of not done such in-depth revision!
anyway, i was wondering if you loose mark for writing the wrong date next to a study.. I think i wrote Dunne 1997 instead of 1999;(
It went well apart from few spelling errors and having 10minutes to finish the last essay.
In jan i got 38/60 and got marked a D, how does that make sense?

That wasn't a D ! I got 38 and it was a B... One mark off an A! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys! For the power and devision of labour question i went in full depth of devision of labour, housework and role of housewife and wrote about Man-Yee-Kan. I left out domestic violence and Gershuny income.. What is the possible maximum mark i can get?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending