The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
If I got the binomial wrong will I still get rewarded marks if I get the correct answer with the values that I got?
For the core 1 1/2 n^0.5 I got 1/2 170^0.5. You substituted in the minimum value to get AB^2 = 42.5 and then that somehow works out to 1/2 170^0.5
Reply 262
New links are up
Original post by solosdk
60 for an A in Core 1 i think

57 for an A in Core 2

I think they'll both be lower than that to be honest, I've done easier past papers with higher boundaries.
Reply 264
Surely for the circle question the vector is [6, -7] as the second circle has center (-1,0) and the original has center (5,-7) so it's moved 6 units right and 7 down? Therefore [6 / -7] ?
Original post by KoKiKo
I got the same answer for the integration, but most people seem to have got 27. I think we might have mad a mistake somewhere. :frown:

Wow, that's actually amazing! I mean, the numbers seemed so ridiculous! Yet someone else got the same as me? That's quite interesting.

I don't know where I went wrong with the first integration, but the second part I think I went wrong by calculating the area of the trapezium incorrectly. Just a silly error of reading the info wrong. This is one reason why I hate exams. Careless mistakes can cost you a grade, and it's not a perfect reflection on reality at all. Meh. Haha.

By the looks of things, we both must have gone wrong in exactly the same place, and then a follow on error will have caused the rest to be wrong too. So there should be a good amount of marks available for method.
Original post by buzfail
Surely for the circle question the vector is [6, -7] as the second circle has center (-1,0) and the original has center (5,-7) so it's moved 6 units right and 7 down? Therefore [6 / -7] ?

I agree with this. Unless the question asked for a translation from the original circle to the new one. Anybody remember?

I also agree with the way you wrote that post.
Original post by stuart_aitken
I agree with this. Unless the question asked for a translation from the original circle to the new one. Anybody remember?

read the question, it says 'the new circle equation' ONTO 'the old circle equation'.....
Reply 268
Original post by Sophia Yeh
read the question, it says 'the new circle equation' ONTO 'the old circle equation'.....

It says "Given that k has the same value as in part (a) (Which was 49), describe geometrically the transformation that maps the circle with equation (x+1)^2 + y^2 onto the circle C"

So circle with center (-1,0) ONTO circle with center (5,-7)

So translation 6 units in the positive x directions and 7 units in the negative y direction.

SURELY
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 269
Original post by stuart_aitken

Thank you! I got worried that I'd made a stupid mistake when I saw the "official unofficial" mark scheme.

And lololol I have no idea how that happened, hardly ever comment on threads on here!
anyone know how many marks Q1 on Core 1 was? as it is not in the link at the beginning.
Reply 271
Its about 8 i believe

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks for sharing
Original post by Sophia Yeh

?

Sorry, can't read the question as I didn't take the exam booklet home when I finished...........

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hit94
What was the proof for trig question at the end? I couldnt for the life of me do the last 2 parts on Q9 :frown:

Cant remember the exact question wording but... You had to use sinx/cosx=tanx then rearrange to get sinx=tanxcosx
Then just sub in.
Reply 275
For 5a part 2 - write down the minimum value for the expression 2x^2+6x+5 i wrote both the x and y co ords of the minimum - (-3/2 , 1/2) will i get the mark ?
Original post by Alifff
for x i got 3/2

it was 2xsqrt3=3sqrt3--------so 2x=3sqrt3/sqrt3 wich cancels down to 2x=3 and so I got x=3/2 same as you! YAY!!!!!:wink:
Original post by Namch
For 5a part 2 - write down the minimum value for the expression 2x^2+6x+5 i wrote both the x and y co ords of the minimum - (-3/2 , 1/2) will i get the mark ?

That's exactly what I did. And because of that, perhaps, I couldn't make any sense of the follow on question. I must start reading properly.
Hi Guys, Im an Edexcel GCSE Examiner and many of my A-Level students have done the AQA C2 exam the other day and have asked me to explain Q3(binomials) and Q8(logs)
I am just in the process of creating a youtube video and will upload it later this afternoon.
I will post a message here when its ready.
I hope you guys will find it helpful, and let me know if you'd like me to do it for any other questions.
I found this exam so hard.

Latest

Trending

Trending