The Student Room Group

Arsey's Edexcel M1 Summer 2013 Model Solutions BOTH PAPERS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by As04
So 2-4 for the entire moments Q? Including part B?

for first part, I'd say in total maybe 6-9 if your method is sufficient
Reply 181
Original post by Robbie242
for first part, I'd say in total maybe 6-9 if your method is sufficient

Okay thanks, and 2-4 for Q2 as well?
Reply 182
Original post by As04
Okay thanks, and 2-4 for Q2 as well?

I'm not sure honestly I wouldn't take this literal and just wait for the exam results, I need to focus on S1 anyway now, M1 is behind me :P
Original post by leafy9
The tension one I got something like 7.6N and 8.4N. Not sure which one for which.
The one with the two balls, I got about 2.8s and about 17.2 m

You remember what you got?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got the same as you for both :smile: that makes me feel better :biggrin:

Original post by michelleeeee
Ahh not exactly. I have a feeling all my answers are wrong :frown: that's why I've been looking for a markscheme but everyone seems to be only talking about the paper that Arsey put up.

I think for question 2 the tensions were 7.something and 8.something and according to some people the R for question 7 was 1700(or something close).

I found the first question. I don't know why I couldn't get the answer, I tried double checking with the total momentum equation but it didn't work so I know I'm definitely wrong there. Think one of the speeds for the particles in question 1 was -2m/s

And the mass, again according to some people, was 20.something? :confused:

I don't remember at all :/ I think for moments when you needed to find a distance I got 0.6m (but I might be confusing this with a past paper I did before the exam :P)
Original post by Titus20
Thank you!!! Sorry, your answer at first was fine, but I just wanted to see if an answer from another source would match it for added comfort. Seeing as you've got that directly from a mark scheme I feel very comfortable, thank you!!!

Fair enough. :tongue:

Oh my god I feel so annoyed now, for the lift I should've done that -.- cheers for the clarification lol...

Original post by justinawe
That's a little bit weird isn't it... you don't even have to be sure about the correct solution to get full marks, just write down every possible solution that comes to your mind :curious:

It is a bit silly I think!
Original post by Elbridge
This is what I remember (may not be correct):
Q1) Balls colliding - 14Ns and 1.33 something
Q2) Ropes to attached to ceiling - T = 7.xx N and 8.xx N
Q3) Some pulley stuff - T = 26.1 N
Q4) Something about friction - coefficient = 0.411
Q5) Some balls being thrown - t = 2.xx s and h = 17.7 m
Q6) Vectors - time = 2h?, distance (or was this the speed?) = 8.xx km
Q7) Towbar - 1.02 ms-2, T = 517 N, R = 1750 N
Q8) Moments - x = 0.6 and m = 23.5kg

I thought the towbar question was hardest, really doubtful about that one.

for q1, q2, q5 q7 and q8 I think I got the same. I don't remember what I got for other questions. for coefficient of friction I think i got 0.2xx or 0.3xx but I'm not sure.
Reply 186
Original post by usycool1
Fair enough. :tongue:

It is a bit silly I think!

Hey usy, anything on Error carried forward marks? If wrong mass was calculated and used throughout the other parts but correct method (if you used to right mass you would have got right answer) are M1 still awarded?
Reply 187
Original post by Loiks94
Hey usy, anything on Error carried forward marks? If wrong mass was calculated and used throughout the other parts but correct method (if you used to right mass you would have got right answer) are M1 still awarded?

I would like to know this also as I did SUVAT wrong for the motorbikes time but then used that time to calculate the acceleration which was also wrong
Reply 188
Original post by Elbridge
I think n might have been about 3.5 (not sure). I think you just needed to equate the i and j components, of both s and t (position vectors of the ships after t hours)

Hmm. How many marks do you think I would lose max by not solving 'n' for qu6 and R for question 7?
Reply 189
I would like to know this also as I did SUVAT wrong for the motorbikes time but then used that time to calculate the acceleration which was also wrong

Looking at previous official mark schemes, it states to the examiner award M1 marks wherever the correct method is used and if you used SUVAT formula to get a you'd get M1 marks but not A1 marks. Not sure need confirmation from another source really.
Reply 190
Original post by nukethemaly
I'd say that's an A. because Jan 2013 paper was significantly easier than this one, and an A was 64 marks then. So yeah you've definitely scored yourself an A, well done!

Hey i have 3 questions, first for 5c) i got everything right apart from i added 10s onto the 60 i got giving me 70s instead of 50! surely i only lost one mark?! also 5d) i used 70s instead of 50s giving me 0.4ms-2 instead of 0.7 :frown: how many marks would i lose for that ? (any ecf) ?? and lastly!the vectors question 7cii) i got the right method and simultaneous equated it right but messed up the adding getting a wrong t :frown: how many marks would i lose for that? if you ANSWERS I WILL BUY YOU BROWNIES!!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!*
Reply 191
It was conditional moments, some people didn't know the exact objective to get both of them, I knew it was simultaneous equations but I had to take moments 3 times to finally get something that makes sense

fair enough
Reply 192
Original post by Loiks94
Looking at previous official mark schemes, it states to the examiner award M1 marks wherever the correct method is used and if you used SUVAT formula to get a you'd get M1 marks but not A1 marks. Not sure need confirmation from another source really.

Sounds promising, I lost the majority of marks from Suvat and the lift question, though for the lift question I would expect no M1 marks because I considered the lift's weight
Reply 193
Thanks so much arsey, really appreciate you doing this for all the maths papers :smile:

I nailed this paper apart from question 5, I made a stupid mistake when calculating t, I forgot to times the last triangle by its height, so I lost some values.

I also messed up the second part of 5, but I stated that you had to take 10 seconds off the amount of time that the car took.

My equation for t was

22x30 + 22T + 1/2(90-T) = 2145 (forgot to times by 22 on last bit)
Will I get at least a mark for the set up ?

and maybe 1/6 for part c and d for stating how I had to find T of car and minus 10? so a total of 2/9 for that question? or 4/11 considering I got the speed time graph right?

last part of Q8) Direction = southwest? should be right?

Personally I don't see why people are freaking out about this paper, I wouldn't say it was hard, and I wouldn't say it was easy, the questions were very standard, and not harder than other past papers. People will look back at this paper and not really think it was hard and easy, just another paper, thats my opinion.

M1 boundaries seem to be consistently high, so I'd say it's hard to judge.
Lots of people say it was hard, including people from my school.
I would think 62/75 = 80 UMS 68/75 = 90 UMS and 74/75 = 100 UMS, I still dont agree that it was harder than January, I didn't sit january but did the past paper and they were fairly equal so it's hard to judge, although january performances seem to be better than june performances due to june being first time takes and more people taking them who are less experienced etc
SUVAT was my downfall, Where do you reckon 90ums will be ? I think I got 64/65 out of 75

Well this january it was 70 for 90 ums, and previously it's been 71, 69, 68, 70, 68, 68, going up until Jan 2010 so make out of that what you will.
Think i got 69/75 (was stupid and used final v = 22ms^-1 for c and d on the motorbike one) which i'm guessing will probably be around 90 ums. Out of curiosity does anyone know when the ums boundaries are released? Is it before or after results day?
someone please make an international m1 paper forum! :smile:
Guys just some quick questions :smile: :

For one of them Arsey has put down 15.5 N and this seems quite common amongst most people, however I wrote 15 N (2sf)

Also, for another one a lot of people for 16.6m and I got 17m (2sf)... will I loose any marks due to these ? :smile:

Also for the final final question, I wrote 225 degrees from bearing (I also drew like a north arrow on the diagram if that makes a difference), should I be saying good-bye to this mark ? :frown:

Thanks in advance for any responses :smile:
Original post by Qmakz
Thanks so much arsey, really appreciate you doing this for all the maths papers :smile:

I nailed this paper apart from question 5, I made a stupid mistake when calculating t, I forgot to times the last triangle by its height, so I lost some values.

I also messed up the second part of 5, but I stated that you had to take 10 seconds off the amount of time that the car took.

My equation for t was

22x30 + 22T + 1/2(90-T) = 2145 (forgot to times by 22 on last bit)
Will I get at least a mark for the set up ?

and maybe 1/6 for part c and d for stating how I had to find T of car and minus 10? so a total of 2/9 for that question? or 4/11 considering I got the speed time graph right?

last part of Q8) Direction = southwest? should be right?

Personally I don't see why people are freaking out about this paper, I wouldn't say it was hard, and I wouldn't say it was easy, the questions were very standard, and not harder than other past papers. People will look back at this paper and not really think it was hard and easy, just another paper, thats my opinion.

M1 boundaries seem to be consistently high, so I'd say it's hard to judge.
Lots of people say it was hard, including people from my school.
I would think 62/75 = 80 UMS 68/75 = 90 UMS and 74/75 = 100 UMS, I still dont agree that it was harder than January, I didn't sit january but did the past paper and they were fairly equal so it's hard to judge, although january performances seem to be better than june performances due to june being first time takes and more people taking them who are less experienced etc

I sat it in January and so did all of my classmates so it was a first time take :tongue:, one of my friends who was resitting said this paper was easier O.o, anyways if it is 62 for 80 and 68 for 90 then it would most likely be 75 for 100 cos Edexcel are mean like that :frown:.
Reply 199
Original post by usycool1
Nope, you actually gain full credit if one's correct. :tongue:

Last January's markscheme:

If a candidate makes more than one attempt at any question:
If all but one attempt is crossed out, mark the attempt which is
NOT crossed out.
If either all attempts are crossed out or none are crossed out, mark
all the attempts and score the highest single attempt.

yep, it is very rare that candidates do this.

I tell my students never to cross anything out unless they are certain it is wrong. They still cross correct stuff out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending