The Student Room Group

Higher French 2013

Hi folks, just thought I'd start a thread on Higher French 2013. What's our predictions for this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

i really do hope, the modern world and environment come up !!!
Reply 2
Does anyone have any predictions for what might come up in the short essay section? :smile:
The SQA don't really follow patterns at all.

I remember for my Higher Geography exam, one section of the course and one question of the exam was about sand dunes and soil development. My teacher had looked back through the past papers and found that for the last five years, it had alternated perfectly: Sand dunes, soils, sand dunes, soils. So she confidently predicted that it would be a soil question, so everyone revised soils.

It was sand dunes.
Reply 4
Original post by CurtainrailMan
The SQA don't really follow patterns at all.

I remember for my Higher Geography exam, one section of the course and one question of the exam was about sand dunes and soil development. My teacher had looked back through the past papers and found that for the last five years, it had alternated perfectly: Sand dunes, soils, sand dunes, soils. So she confidently predicted that it would be a soil question, so everyone revised soils.

It was sand dunes.

aw I heard about that, I think our geography teacher done the same! cheers for letting me know
Reply 5
Isn't this the Higher French thread?:tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Grozdova.
Isn't this the Higher French thread?:tongue:

yeaaapp! but i will take any advice at this rate
Reply 7
The short essay is always related to what the listening paper will be about. For example, if the listenign paper is about cycling then the short essay will be about what sports you do (you can mention cycling here too) and leisure activities.

I am going to revise topics like health and well being, family and friends, holidays, jobs and pocket money, education, future (e.g. university, where you want to live, go travelling)

I'm a bit too confident with French so I will do some revision but will mostly wing it :smile:
Reply 8
I'd have to disagree, with some subjects the SQA can be predictable although I've not really noticed a pattern with languages. My French teacher told my class to learn essay phrases that can be adaptable to any essay and pay attention to the quality rather than complexity. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by srm4
The short essay is always related to what the listening paper will be about. For example, if the listenign paper is about cycling then the short essay will be about what sports you do (you can mention cycling here too) and leisure activities.

I am going to revise topics like health and well being, family and friends, holidays, jobs and pocket money, education, future (e.g. university, where you want to live, go travelling)

I'm a bit too confident with French so I will do some revision but will mostly wing it :smile:

I winged both the French and german prelims...:tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by Nfergs
I'd have to disagree, with some subjects the SQA can be predictable although I've not really noticed a pattern with languages. My French teacher told my class to learn essay phrases that can be adaptable to any essay and pay attention to the quality rather than complexity. :smile:

Maybe the practice papers my teacher has handed out weren't all official past papers? But yeah, my teacher has basically given us lots of lists of vocab to learn that can be adapted to different topics too :biggrin:

Original post by ladymarshmallow
I winged both the French and german prelims...:tongue:

Glad I'm not the only one :woo:
Hahaha everyone else in my class is studying really hard for it but I'm just like "nah, I'll be ok"
It's my third language (1st is Portuguese, 2nd is English) so I'm really not worried about it
As soon as English is over and done with I'm basically starting my holidays despite having 3 more exams to do :colondollar:
Original post by srm4
Maybe the practice papers my teacher has handed out weren't all official past papers? But yeah, my teacher has basically given us lots of lists of vocab to learn that can be adapted to different topics too :biggrin:

Glad I'm not the only one :woo:
Hahaha everyone else in my class is studying really hard for it but I'm just like "nah, I'll be ok"
It's my third language (1st is Portuguese, 2nd is English) so I'm really not worried about it
As soon as English is over and done with I'm basically starting my holidays despite having 3 more exams to do :colondollar:

That is exactly my plan as well! I've already arranged to go out and have a celebratory ice cream after English. :colondollar: I'll probably listen to some music or radio and perhaps look over some vocab from past listening transcripts the night before. :tongue: What did you get in your prelim?
Reply 12
Original post by ladymarshmallow
That is exactly my plan as well! I've already arranged to go out and have a celebratory ice cream after English. :colondollar: I'll probably listen to some music or radio and perhaps look over some vocab from past listening transcripts the night before. :tongue: What did you get in your prelim?

For French or for English? I think I got an overall grade of 73% in French which I'm pretty sure is an A, and I'm very pleased with that grade seeing as I did absolutely no revision for my French prelims :colondollar:

English on the other hand went terribly because I only learned how to write a proper essay and how to answer close reading questions in April when I asked my mum to hire me a tutor!
Original post by srm4
For French or for English? I think I got an overall grade of 73% in French which I'm pretty sure is an A, and I'm very pleased with that grade seeing as I did absolutely no revision for my French prelims :colondollar:

English on the other hand went terribly because I only learned how to write a proper essay and how to answer close reading questions in April when I asked my mum to hire me a tutor!

That's good, and now that you've done the speaking I'm sure you'll ace the final exam. :biggrin:
Don't worry, I did terribly as well in my English prelim, only managing to get one essay done and one paragraph for the second one. :colondollar:
Reply 14
We don't do environment at higher at our school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BuddingAchiever
i really do hope, the modern world and environment come up !!!

This is the Scottish qualifications forum...:tongue:
Reply 16
I wish we knew what are speaking marks are:frown: :frown:
Original post by lion542
I wish we knew what are speaking marks are:frown: :frown:

Didn't your teacher tell you your mark out of 25 after you did it?
Reply 18
Do you have any methods of studying for both essays just out of interest, im not sure how to study for them?
Reply 19
You haven't got yours? I got 25 :smile:! I really hope it's a school exchange it's quite easy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending