The Student Room Group

POST-MORTEM: AQA Additional Science Biology B2 (May 2013)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by ibbi1824
i was sooo confused by the quadrats i had some vague memory of a teach tell us that if its part of of a square then you count the whole square :/

I did the exact same thing! when everyone said they got like 7 or 6 i was like waaahh>.< i got 14...
Original post by A20
I did the exact same thing! when everyone said they got like 7 or 6 i was like waaahh>.< i got 14...

Same I wrote 8 first but thought it was too little!! Ended up with 10
Original post by berkin12
I put:

You can control the rate of glucose (considering it was labelled on the diagram) so you would not waste any glucose.

It is more cost-effective.

Would that be correct?

Fairly sure correct answer is:
Larger surface area for enzyme to work one due to beads
When the enzyme is stored in beads it doesn't have to be separated from the final fructose solution
Reply 103
Original post by berkin12
I put:

You can control the rate of glucose (considering it was labelled on the diagram) so you would not waste any glucose.

It is more cost-effective.

Would that be correct?

I put about the rate of glucose toooooo! :smile:
Original post by sammann123
HEXA Dna one was:
If DNA changed/mutated then the order of bases would change.
The order of bases codes for a specific protein to be made in the ribosomes, so the mutation would result in a different combination of amino acids when making the HEXA enzyme, the HEXA enzyme wouldn't have right shape to function.

I wrote that the bases would be put in the wrong order, coding for a different protein to be made that would be defective, meaning the HEXA enzyme wouldn't work...would I get 2 or 3 marks?
Reply 105
Original post by candyfloss.head
Same I wrote 8 first but thought it was too little!! Ended up with 10

I felt like if i counted all the whole squares it would be too simple :s-smilie: i think its fair to say ...we're idiots :frown:
Original post by Pistol 33
What did you lot put for the Hexa question, on why the boy didn't get the disorder?

The boy was heterozygous, i.e. had the Hh, as the genetic disorder is recessive he'd need to be homozygous hh to have the phenotype of the disorder
Original post by Frank the Tankk
I wrote that the bases would be put in the wrong order, coding for a different protein to be made that would be defective, meaning the HEXA enzyme wouldn't work...would I get 2 or 3 marks?

probably two, would have been safer to mention change to protein shape as thats what they seem to like on the spec, but definitely 2 for recognising that bases would change and that they code for the HEXA enzyme
Reply 108
Original post by A20

i got 12 aaaah :frown:
Original post by Funky Fish
I talked about the whole digestive system :/ Oh dear.... I went right from the mouth, salivary glands etc. But luckily I put stuff about lipase and bile. What did you put for the very last question??

you did it right!
Question wanted you to demonstrate knowledge of different enzymes in the process of digestion, I reckon ideal answer would:
Show knowledge of lipase protease and amylase enzymes, what they work on, what they produce, where they are produced and where they work.
The question also asked about chemicals that aid digestion, so you would of had to added about hydrochloric acid providing optimum pH for stomach enzyme (Pepsin) and Bile emulsifying fat and providing optimum pH in intestine.

I feel all of the above is good for six marks
Original post by A20
I felt like if i counted all the whole squares it would be too simple :s-smilie: i think its fair to say ...we're idiots :frown:

yeahh I think so too. It was just that the question after it was 'describe how you came to your answer' and it just felt wrong to write 'I counted the squares'

Let's hope boundaries are low!! :frown:
Reply 111
So are we thinking that grade boundaries will be relatively low?!? I mean looking at all the other summer grade boundaries they seem pretty low...

Which ones do you mean? The old spec ones were low but the new spec ones have been a lot higher. Depends what you deem as low tbh. For me, low would be like 40/60 but everyone keeps saying the test was easy so I don't know :frown: I didn't find it easy!
Reply 112
It was the funnisest thing, in my school the majority of pupils were limping out of the exam cuz they got raped so heard by AQA LOL
Anyway, would one of you dickheads put an unofficial marksheme up, apparently you get 20 UMS points if you do so you may as well, cheers!.
Original post by sammann123
probably two, would have been safer to mention change to protein shape as thats what they seem to like on the spec, but definitely 2 for recognising that bases would change and that they code for the HEXA enzyme

Aww sh*t:frown: lol, feel I could have done a bit better today but still confident I've got a decent mark
Original post by AparnaX
Which ones do you mean? The old spec ones were low but the new spec ones have been a lot higher. Depends what you deem as low tbh. For me, low would be like 40/60 but everyone keeps saying the test was easy so I don't know :frown: I didn't find it easy!

I think 40/60 for an A* is pretty average..Ikr everyone saying the paper was easy and at first I thought it was okay but now I'm having doubts! :s-smilie:
Reply 115
i need an A* to be a doctor argghhhh ... not sure if i've made the cut :'(
Original post by hs.wong96

I need an A* to move from a school with >5% pass rate to <90% pass rate hahaha...hope you get the grades you need
Original post by hs.wong96

How did you find it though? You might have!!
Overall, It was a fairly average paper although nothing like past papers from previous years, I have a feeling that the mark scheme will be very key word orientated (as it always is with biology) making it easy to drop marks. The last question will be the best for differentiating between A*/A, so if you feel you understood that question and made few other mistakes throughout you should be on an A*. However, this does mean grade boundaries will stay reasonably low, looking at lasts years paper/examiners report my best guess is that this will be 42-44 A*. Its always worth considering that this is the first summer examination for this unit, so thats also likely to lower grade boundaries.
Reply 119
I think 40/60 for an A* is pretty average..Ikr everyone saying the paper was easy and at first I thought it was okay but now I'm having doubts! :s-smilie:

Yeah same. When I came out, I was really happy because I felt like 1. bulk of biology was over 2. That although the test was hard, I'd revised well so I got more of the questions than I thought.
But I felt happy because I was quite certain the test was fairly hard so the grade boundaries wouldn't be too high, but I came on here and everyone thinks the grade boundaries will be like 48!
And I only got 41/50 for the ISA which apparently is a low A so I don't know if I'll get an A*... and I'm taking it for a level and want to do medicine :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending