The Student Room Group

Arsey's Edexcel M1 Summer 2013 Model Solutions BOTH PAPERS

Scroll to see replies

Question to anybody who can answer;

For the last part of the last question, I managed to NOT find T in the previous part (exam pressure turns me to a mathematical idiot), but I managed to get that the force is (sqrt)2 x T, would I get any marks for this? Surely it must be worth at least one for applying the formula correctly and doing it algebraically?

Cheers :smile:
Reply 201
Original post by qwertyuiopg
someone please make an international m1 paper forum! :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2350918

Just started one. :smile:
Reply 202
I know I messed up the first part of the moments questions, BUT if I used those answers in the second part and worked that out correctly would I get the marks for the second part because of ecf ?????????????
Reply 203
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I sat it in January and so did all of my classmates so it was a first time take :tongue:, one of my friends who was resitting said this paper was easier O.o, anyways if it is 62 for 80 and 68 for 90 then it would most likely be 75 for 100 cos Edexcel are mean like that :frown:.

Yeah haha, you can't really say, its all speculation, we will just have to wait, but if you got above 65 you surely have an A.
For the january C3 paper, everyone was freaking out about how hard it was, and saying the boundary would be 59/75 = 80, it ended up to be 62/75 = 80 which I managed :P but I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Reply 204
Original post by Arsey
Looking at past papers when you have access to mark schemes, model answers and not in the pressure of an actual exam is completely different.

This paper was not in the same league as Jan 09. If you had taken the Jan 09 paper yesterday and had never seen it before, the markers would be marking your tears of pain.

If this paper is below 60/75 for 80ums I will be absolutely amazed!!!

Difficulty is also completely different when you've been teaching it for years compared to first year of learning, surely?
My hopes were crushed long ago, retake's on the cards.
Reply 205
For the last question are you sure it's okay to give your answer as, for example, 3/5 g, and not 5.88? And for the final part of the last question I got the exact same answer as in that mark scheme. But I think I will lose marks for over accuracy, shouldn't it be in decimal form? Please answer if you know I really don't wan't to lose more marks :frown:
Reply 206
Original post by Kurraiyo
For the last question are you sure it's okay to give your answer as, for example, 3/5 g, and not 5.88? And for the final part of the last question I got the exact same answer as in that mark scheme. But I think I will lose marks for over accuracy, shouldn't it be in decimal form? Please answer if you know I really don't wan't to lose more marks :frown:

They are the same thing, you will not lose marks
Reply 207
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I sat it in January and so did all of my classmates so it was a first time take :tongue:, one of my friends who was resitting said this paper was easier O.o, anyways if it is 62 for 80 and 68 for 90 then it would most likely be 75 for 100 cos Edexcel are mean like that :frown:.

nooo, it doesn't work like that

if it is 62 for 80ums and 68 for 90ums (gap 6) then it has to be 74/75 for 100ums
Reply 208
Original post by NabRoh
Difficulty is also completely different when you've been teaching it for years compared to first year of learning, surely?
My hopes were crushed long ago, retake's on the cards.

I have been teaching M1 for a very long time, I know the difference between a hard and easy paper.

That said, it always usful to gauge opinion from students taking the paper; however, TSR isn't that representative, it does seem as there are more more of the more able students that post here.
Original post by sceezy
I know I messed up the first part of the moments questions, BUT if I used those answers in the second part and worked that out correctly would I get the marks for the second part because of ecf ?????????????

I did the exact same thing. Unfortunately, from experience of marking my own past papers, Mechanics is particularly mean when it comes to ecf (compared to core maths) and usally has a lot of accuracy marks. I'm just hoping for half marks in that question overall... :colondollar:
Reply 210
I have the international paper, I will smash out some solutions.
Reply 211
Original post by Arsey
yep, it is very rare that candidates do this.

I tell my students never to cross anything out unless they are certain it is wrong. They still cross correct stuff out.

" If either all attempts are crossed out or none are crossed out, mark
all the attempts and score the highest single attempt."

Is this rule just specific to M1?

edit: how come there is an international paper aint it always the same for everyone? did they only start doing this?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Arsey
I have been teaching M1 for a very long time, I know the difference between a hard and easy paper.

That said, it always usful to gauge opinion from students taking the paper; however, TSR isn't that representative, it does seem as there are more more of the more able students that post here.

I feel that despite the fact that some of the questions were much easier than normal, people will have found a few of the longer ones very difficult to get to grips with. Some very intelligent people I know really struggled with the moments question. Personally I cocked up the motorbike question, and i know others that did as well. So I think it's reasonable to assume the ums boundaries will be below average for this exam, though not as low as that 2009 one.
failed this probably 47-48 marks max...

guess I'll have to work 10 times harder for c4 now...
Reply 214
Original post by Arsey
yep, it is very rare that candidates do this.

I tell my students never to cross anything out unless they are certain it is wrong. They still cross correct stuff out.

Hey guys i have 3 questions, first for 5c) i got everything right apart from i added 10s onto the 60 i got giving me 70s instead of 50! surely i only lost one mark?! also 5d) i used 70s instead of 50s giving me 0.4ms-2 instead of 0.7 how many marks would i lose for that ? (any ecf) ?? and lastly!the vectors question 7cii) i got the right method and simultaneous equated it right but messed up the ading getting a wrong t how many marks would i lose for that? any one that ANSWERS I WILL BUY YOU BROWNIES!!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
Reply 215
Original post by Qmakz
Yeah haha, you can't really say, its all speculation, we will just have to wait, but if you got above 65 you surely have an A.
For the january C3 paper, everyone was freaking out about how hard it was, and saying the boundary would be 59/75 = 80, it ended up to be 62/75 = 80 which I managed :P but I guess we will just have to wait and see.

whats a c or d grade . cuz i left the moment and last part of vector question!! its my first time sitting for an m1 paper :P
Reply 216
Original post by Robbie242

I really do hope so! however I just read that all answers should be given to 2 or 3 s.f. ONLY if 'g' is used?
Reply 217
Original post by Robbie242

Hey i have 3 questions, first for 5c) i got everything right apart from i added 10s onto the 60 i got giving me 70s instead of 50! surely i only lost one mark?! also 5d) i used 70s instead of 50s giving me 0.4ms-2 instead of 0.7 how many marks would i lose for that ? (any ecf) ?? and lastly!the vectors question 7cii) i got the right method and simultaneous equated it right but messed up the ading getting a wrong t how many marks would i lose for that? any one that ANSWERS I WILL BUY YOU BROWNIES!!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
Reply 218
;_;

Went out of the exam super confident and now I've looked at your mark scheme....

ahhhhhhhhh

silly **** like last question cancelling out m somehow? and working it out to s.f. plus that 7.5m for moments (I think I got 7m?) ://

Was hoping for 100 ums,,, will probably only get 90-95 now.... ahh damn FP1 will take me from behind
Reply 219
Original post by ColourblindKid
I feel that despite the fact that some of the questions were much easier than normal, people will have found a few of the longer ones very difficult to get to grips with. Some very intelligent people I know really struggled with the moments question. Personally I cocked up the motorbike question, and i know others that did as well. So I think it's reasonable to assume the ums boundaries will be below average for this exam, though not as low as that 2009 one.

how low was the 2009 one??
its my first time sitting for an m1 paper and to be honest i couldve done better but the time was too little and the moment question was empty :frown: including last part of vectors .. wanted to know what do u think the grade boundary would be for a c and d?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending