The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anonstudent1
Some of them votes are ridiculous imo. Under the best signing category they have Giggs Beckham and Scholes who all came through the youth system.

I know. I mentioned this last week when Chadwick was listed as an option for "worst signing" and he too was a product of the youth team (and had a decent run in the team during a title winning season).

They are "signings" in a technical sense.

Under the worst signings they have Hagreaves, he played a big part in the 2008 champs and league success, no way should he be in that category even with his injuries and what he did after.

I notice this last week also but I think the problem here is that it wasn't exclusively Manchester United fans, so many are unaware/don't recognise/forget the contributions he made to 07/08. Or they just feel that the injuries and "falling out" afterwards outweighs this.
Original post by Tommyjw
How dare Rooney not enjoy being shifted around, not enjoy being subbed when players around him play worse. Maybe he wants a change? Maybe he wants a better city? Maybe he felt he has achieved everything at United and wants to add some other titles to his collection? It is his career, not the fans, if he thinks he wants to end his career in Paris with his family and win a different title then there isn't anything wrong with it.

Being annoyed at him for his previous contract thing is clearly acceptable, that was ****ing annoying even if there was truth behind United lacking ambition at the time, but being annoyed at him for simply not wanting to play for the club.. to whatever degree he doesn't want to.. is just bitter.

Yes he lost his place up top to Van Persie, but players don't just immediately hand in a transfer request when things get a little bit hard. They work at it, they don't report in for a season fat because they've spent all summer drinking beer. His attitude and professionalism stink, and I've had enough of it.
Original post by Tommyjw
How dare Rooney not enjoy being shifted around, not enjoy being subbed when players around him play worse. Maybe he wants a change? Maybe he wants a better city? Maybe he felt he has achieved everything at United and wants to add some other titles to his collection? It is his career, not the fans, if he thinks he wants to end his career in Paris with his family and win a different title then there isn't anything wrong with it.

Being annoyed at him for his previous contract thing is clearly acceptable, that was ****ing annoying even if there was truth behind United lacking ambition at the time, but being annoyed at him for simply not wanting to play for the club.. to whatever degree he doesn't want to.. is just bitter.

This. Played Tommy :yy:

Can't blame him for wanting to leave for numerous reasons:

1. Not played in position anymore- he wants to be a striker and showed he is capable on banging in 30+ goals in a season. Also left out of key games- primarily against Real Madrid, even if the gameplan was working he's still gonna be disappointed.
2. Wants a new challenge- he has achieved everything at United- he's won Champions league, Premier league numerous times, Capital One Cups, Community Shields, Club World Cup- so maybe he feels he wants to go to another country and win a different league.
3. Place to live- as Tommy said with him wanting a new challenge and also wanting to move to a different city- remember he is human and Manchester isn't the best city out there- maybe he wants to live in Paris, Milan, Madrid, Munich? I know i'd want to if I was a footballer as well.

Sure we can hate him (as Tommy also said) for the way he handled his contract in 2010, but I hold no grudge over him wanting to leave the club now, and if he goes he should go with our blessing. I've always hoped we don't have those **** fans who would boo a great servant to the club like that if he leaves.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DaveSmith99
Yes he lost his place up top to Van Persie, but players don't just immediately hand in a transfer request when things get a little bit hard. They work at it, they don't report in for a season fat because they've spent all summer drinking beer. His attitude and professionalism stink, and I've had enough of it.

He didn't even lose his place tbh, he hasn't been the main striker since like 09 or whatever. His issue is clearly not with RvP coming in as he would have basically been behind Welbeck or Hernandez had he not came in anyway.

Rooney is going through what Nani seemed to go through for a while. When Rooney is poor = gets subbed off, when Nani was poor = subbed off. Yet players around them are doing eqaully as poor, or worse, and they get to stay on. That isn't good for a player. It's not reason to leave, sure, but then we also don't know if he just generally fancies a change etc which i see no issue with.

How do you know his attitude stinks? You've heard nothing about his attitude. Does his attitude include happily playing behind the striker, to the right, to the left, in midfield etc and ultimately doing more for the team on the pitch than most? doesn't striker me as a bad attitude. I don't think you'd see many forwards so happily be shifted around and do so well pretty well too.

Professionalism in terms of fitness is a good point,but he is still clearly able to play when we need him and for as lon as we need him unlike say Anderson, so thats something should be worked on and not used as a reason to get rid of him.
I think SAF summarised Rooney perfectly when he said: "Would an inform Rooney be taken off?" No, is the answer.

It's a mixture of form and fitness and you can understand why SAF dropped him for the Madrid game and taken him off during games. Rooney's not an athlete like Ronaldo or Messi, he's always been a strong, chunky (mean that in the nicest way) and fearsome individual so he should have known his own body to know that he would have to work hard to maintain his fitness in the off-season. It seems he didn't do that in time for the start of the season and RVP was always going to be leading the line so he had to be ready to compete.

Form wise, he's been shunted around and it's something SAF has done even to accomodate Ronaldo because to his credit, Rooney will play anywhere and doesn't moan about it.

It's difficult to know why he has put in a transfer request. Does he want a new challenge? A move to another club just to refresh his mind and a new start? We don't really know but the fact it's his second transfer request shows he's not happy....AGAIN.

I'm not fussed if we keep him or let him go. All I ask is that if he stays, then we don't give him the same money he is now, the ball is in our court unlike 2010.
Original post by Tommyjw
He didn't even lose his place tbh, he hasn't been the main striker since like 09 or whatever. His issue is clearly not with RvP coming in as he would have basically been behind Welbeck or Hernandez had he not came in anyway.

Rooney is going through what Nani seemed to go through for a while. When Rooney is poor = gets subbed off, when Nani was poor = subbed off. Yet players around them are doing eqaully as poor, or worse, and they get to stay on. That isn't good for a player. It's not reason to leave, sure, but then we also don't know if he just generally fancies a change etc which i see no issue with.

How do you know his attitude stinks? You've heard nothing about his attitude. Does his attitude include happily playing behind the striker, to the right, to the left, in midfield etc and ultimately doing more for the team on the pitch than most? doesn't striker me as a bad attitude. I don't think you'd see many forwards so happily be shifted around and do so well pretty well too.

Professionalism in terms of fitness is a good point,but he is still clearly able to play when we need him and for as lon as we need him unlike say Anderson, so thats something should be worked on and not used as a reason to get rid of him.

A player with fitness issues, who smokes and who disrespects the club and holds it to ransom for his own means has an attitude problem. He has a good work ethic on the pitch yes, but he has a poor attitude towards our club and football.
-Questions the clubs ambitions, threatens to join City then ends up staying after securing himself a massive pay increase
-Wins the fans back, says the contract saga was the biggest mistake of his career, saying he loves playing for the club, wants to end his career here and intends on doing so
-Club does as he personally asked before and brings in a world class player, Rooney comes back fat, sulks and hands in a transfer request.

We're not being too harsh on him, the club has given him everything he has ever wanted and he rewards us with 2 transfer requests in 3 years. Rooney can get ****ed. Plenty of players around the world would love to play for us, I don't want to suffer this horrible scouse **** any longer.

THIS
A player with fitness issues, who smokes and who disrespects the club and holds it to ransom for his own means has an attitude problem. He has a good work ethic on the pitch yes, but he has a poor attitude towards our club and football.

Well he does only seem like a social smoker :rolleyes:. But it's all fair points.

To be fair, i could have dealt with the last Rooney issue if he didn't ask to leave.

I don't think he 'held the club ransom' any more-so than Nani, Welbeck etc who all supposedly held out for better contracts and they are only recent examples, it's not uncommon for players to do so, though obviously the scale is different.

I can even deal with the comment on the clubs ambition, he wasn't wrong, our number 7 went from Ronaldo to Owen.

But ye, publicly saying about leaving was the main issue for me + coupled with the above makes him an ass.

But as it's pretty obvious, my view is that my view of Rooney changed during the previous incident, but this time it hasn't really changed my view of him much. I won't respect him for wanting to leave Manchester United, but i don't hate him for it, i'm neutral i guess.
Also it's a shame to see Rafael hasn't been included in the Brazil squad agian. Not sure how much more he has to do other than being one of the better Rb's in Europe this season ? Still hating on him for his Olympics red even though he was great the rest of the tournament i guess.
I think Rooney should definitely leave now. He's lost support from the majority of fans. Did anybody go to the parade yesterday or the match on Sunday? I was 5 mins away but didn't go because I had to revise :frown: Eurghh
Original post by Raeesah123
I think Rooney should definitely leave now. He's lost support from the majority of fans. Did anybody go to the parade yesterday or the match on Sunday? I was 5 mins away but didn't go because I had to revise :frown: Eurghh

I went. Was absolutely amazing! One of the most amazing times of my life! Also helps to live 5 mins away from town :biggrin:
Original post by MancBoy
I went. Was absolutely amazing! One of the most amazing times of my life! Also helps to live 5 mins away from town :biggrin:

Aww! I wish I went now. haha i live 5 mins away too.. where abouts you from?
U21s through to final of the league by beating Liverpool 3-0 . Impressive performance from the likes of Cole + Januzaj
Reply 4233

This is brilliant! :rofl2:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by UnWise

This is brilliant! :rofl2:

That is absolutely hilarious :rofl:
Surprised this thread aint still on the Fergie hype. You lot gave him a classy and noisy send off so fair ****s though.
Reply 4236
Seeing the fans reaction after Fergie ramps up the crowd against Madrid was amazing, I'm sure many in pubs/home responded similarly as I know I did, disappointed as I don't think we'll ever have a relationship with any other manager like we did with Fergie, I feel so lucky to have experienced it as he never let us down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfY8G6wc3sY
-Questions the clubs ambitions, threatens to join City then ends up staying after securing himself a massive pay increase
-Wins the fans back, says the contract saga was the biggest mistake of his career, saying he loves playing for the club, wants to end his career here and intends on doing so
-Club does as he personally asked before and brings in a world class player, Rooney comes back fat, sulks and hands in a transfer request.

We're not being too harsh on him, the club has given him everything he has ever wanted and he rewards us with 2 transfer requests in 3 years. Rooney can get ****ed. Plenty of players around the world would love to play for us, I don't want to suffer this horrible scouse **** any longer.

Couldn't have said it any better.
Tonight Manchester United will be staging the 2013 Player of the Year awards. I believe this will be the first time that Old Trafford has publically hosted MUFC events on four consecutive days. The game Sunday, parade Monday, U21s Tuesday and awards Wednesday.

Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year (voted for by MUFC members)
My vote: Michael Carrick
Prediction: Robin Van Persie

Goal of the Season (voted by MUFC members)
My vote: Robin Van Persie (2nd goal) vs Cluj CFR
Prediction: Robin Van Persie (2nd goal) vs Aston Villa

Denzil Haroun Reserve Player of the Year (voted by MUFC members)
My vote: Adnan Januzaj
Prediction: Adnan Januzaj

Players Player of the Year (voted by the 2012/13 Squad)
Prediction #1: Michael Carrick
Prediction #2: David De Gea

The other trophy is the Jimmy Murphy Academy Player of the Year, which I can't really comment on this time around because I've fallen out of the loop badly this year with the Under 18s since last year's class started moving up to the 21s. Either way these events are fun to watch but even more so when we win the title, they normally do a good job putting the show together and its a great walk down memory lane reflecting on the season. The show begins 7pm tonight on MUTV.
Player of the season for me probably has to be: Robin Van Persie.

Robin Van Persie. Big price tag on his shoulders, especially given he had only 1 yr left on his contract at Arsenal. And he's excelled and been the match winner on numerous occasions. And scored quite a few gems in the process. He's also got a great mentality and attitude. To score that penalty away at Arsenal showed huge bottle.

Rooney can go. We don't need him, not sure many/any top clubs really do need him, tbh. I just cannot see him and his young family uprooting abroad, so where does that leave him and his (considerably limited) options??

As for the media saying Moyes was trying to 'woo' Rooney a few days ago, by saying he's 'one of the best players in the world'...I think Moyes is just keeping an open mind, it won't help our negotiating hand if Moyes says anything other than the aforementioned comment. Moyes will play this situation carefully and with wisdom, of which he has plenty as he is a seasoned PL manager.

I'm pleased Moyes was appointed. By all accounts, liked and admired by many in the game, done well very at Everton, always top 6/7 in the league, qualified for CL the once, the Europa a few times, often on not the biggest budget. They also play good football.

I'd like to see Moyes be a bit naughty and bring in Baines and perhaps Fellaini from Everton :colondollar:

Latest