The Student Room Group

IHEID-Opinions and what to do? HELP!!

Hello!
This is my first post on here!:smile:

I cam on here cause I honestly need advice. I would very much like to go to IHEID, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it, and if it's even worth it.
I'm a Canadian student, in Canada, studying political science and history, with a minor in French. I have two more years before I get my Bachelor's, but I just want to know what steps to take to maximize my chances of doing what I want to do.
Now, what do any of you know or have heard about IHEID? What is it's reputation like in Europe?

Also, I have no experience, and I want to be able to get in, so what should I do after my bachelors? What kind of internships, how many internships, what kind of jobs should I seek? Should I pursue more education, perhaps a graduate certificate in International Affairs or Economics? I'm just so unsure of what to do, and I know as I am now, I will not get accepted. Please help me, as I have no idea where to start.

Thanks!
Reply 1
My advice to you would be work hard and get a very good final score. Fundamentally that's what interests every prestigious university, including the IHEID. The primacy of academic achievement is written all over their website - work experience is a distant second.
Reply 2
Original post by Vanbrugh
My advice to you would be work hard and get a very good final score. Fundamentally that's what interests every prestigious university, including the IHEID. The primacy of academic achievement is written all over their website - work experience is a distant second.

It's just I have been looking at a few other threads and forums, and people were talking about how they worked her for a certain number of years, or someone complaining about only having done one UN internship, and so on. I'm just afraid my degree alone(not even from a prestigious university) will be enough.

You are from Switzerland, so perhaps you can enlighten me on the reputation IHEID has. I live in Canada, and I honestly had never heard of it until very recently. It doesn't have the sort of prestige places like Harvard or Yale have.
Reply 3
The prestige issue you mention might simply be because IHEID is a very specialized school. I gather it's prestigious enough in IR circles. When you say other forums - have you looked at gradcafe? This forum is great for UK unis but it's a bit hit and miss when it comes to gleaning info on unis in the rest of Europe.
Reply 4
Original post by sj27
The prestige issue you mention might simply be because IHEID is a very specialized school. I gather it's prestigious enough in IR circles. When you say other forums - have you looked at gradcafe? This forum is great for UK unis but it's a bit hit and miss when it comes to gleaning info on unis in the rest of Europe.

I did go on gradcafe! However the thread I started disappeared after a few hours, and no one had answered. So I came here instead. Hopefully, I will be able to find the information that I need.
Reply 5
I am going to apply for their Development Studies programme this year.

From what I have read from their website, I think they also take your language skills and your international experience into account. If you look at the websites of similar programmes from Oxbridge or LSE, they do not emphasize too much on language skills and experience in the field.

My advice is try to acquire more languages. I think it might be convenient for you to pick up French which is one of the official language of the Institute and also because of the fact that you are now in Canada. And also try to stay in a developing country for an extended period of time before applying. It is good for your in a number of ways. First, you can learn the language of that country (or region). Second, you can get a first hand experience of what your future job might be like. Third, you can know more people and develop your network.

Hope this helps. All the best
Reply 6
Original post by mickunsum
I am going to apply for their Development Studies programme this year.

From what I have read from their website, I think they also take your language skills and your international experience into account. If you look at the websites of similar programmes from Oxbridge or LSE, they do not emphasize too much on language skills and experience in the field.

My advice is try to acquire more languages. I think it might be convenient for you to pick up French which is one of the official language of the Institute and also because of the fact that you are now in Canada. And also try to stay in a developing country for an extended period of time before applying. It is good for your in a number of ways. First, you can learn the language of that country (or region). Second, you can get a first hand experience of what your future job might be like. Third, you can know more people and develop your network.

Hope this helps. All the best

Best of luck with your application!
French is my mother tongue, so that is a non-issue! I speak Haitian creole, a bit of Spanish, but I definitely want to get to a fluency level with Spanish, and I have expressed interest in learning German, Russian, and Mandarin. I wonder if extensive language skills is an asset to apply for a program... Nonetheless, I was planning on teaching English overseas for a bit after my undergrad and I was going to use that time to learn the language of whichever country I am in.But the advice about staying in a developing country is a great one! I didn't think of that, and I will definitely look into it.
Reply 7
Hey!

I am applying to Sciences Po, LSE, IHEID & SOAS as well for Masters in International Development for the 2014 intake. I completed my graduation in History this June.

I am stuck on my statemnet of purpose and its taking the life out of me. Plus, I do have some professional experience with 3 internships though not directly related to the field of development. though, along the lines of women empowerment, child rights, human rights and stuff and two experiences of volunteer work. I got rejected last year from IHEID but hope to make it this year.

I can't decide how to conclude, as I am applying for the second time. Any suggestions on that?

Hi,

Im hoping to revive this thread.
Ive got offers from Sciences Po Paris in Masters in International Development, LSE - MSc. Anthropology and Development Management and I have applied for a Masters in Development Studies at the Graduate Institute.

I was wondering what would be the best option in terms of employability and value for money?

Original post by ChughChugh

Hi,

Im hoping to revive this thread.
Ive got offers from Sciences Po Paris in Masters in International Development, LSE - MSc. Anthropology and Development Management and I have applied for a Masters in Development Studies at the Graduate Institute.

I was wondering what would be the best option in terms of employability and value for money?

Third Masters? Respect! :smile:

I'll be very honest. Geneva is a tough place to get a job, especially right now as the devaluation of the Swiss Franc has had a negative effect on the market. IR is very competitive, with the coveted jobs going to people with connections (I know this from one of my closest friends who works in International Trade).

I'm not sure what it's like outside Geneva, but the Graduate Institute is VERY well regarded in IR, with some high-profile alumni. Your three masters will definitely help.
No no its not my third masters hahaha
Ive got an offer from Sciences Po and LSE and im awaiting a response from IHEID.

Original post by Aceadria
Third Masters? Respect! :smile:

I'll be very honest. Geneva is a tough place to get a job, especially right now as the devaluation of the Swiss Franc has had a negative effect on the market. IR is very competitive, with the coveted jobs going to people with connections (I know this from one of my closest friends who works in International Trade).

I'm not sure what it's like outside Geneva, but the Graduate Institute is VERY well regarded in IR, with some high-profile alumni. Your three masters will definitely help.
Congrats on your offers. Employability depends on your profile such as prior work experience, transferrable skills, network. The name of the uni alone will not get you a job. Value for Money: Just use Return on Investment (ROI) methods: insert tuition, cost of living, adjust to exchange rate, use opportunity cost when applicable and benchmark it against target salary.
Original post by ChughChugh
No no its not my third masters hahaha
Ive got an offer from Sciences Po and LSE and im awaiting a response from IHEID.

Oh, sorry!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending