The Student Room Group

POST-MORTEM: AQA Additional Science Biology B2 (May 2013)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hs.wong96
i need an A* to be a doctor argghhhh ... not sure if i've made the cut :'(

Haha, you really dont need A* at GCSE to be a doctor, unless your not taking it for A level, but even then its your A levels and work experience (as well as commitment) that they'll assess you on.
Original post by AparnaX
Yeah same. When I came out, I was really happy because I felt like 1. bulk of biology was over 2. That although the test was hard, I'd revised well so I got more of the questions than I thought.
But I felt happy because I was quite certain the test was fairly hard so the grade boundaries wouldn't be too high, but I came on here and everyone thinks the grade boundaries will be like 48!
And I only got 41/50 for the ISA which apparently is a low A so I don't know if I'll get an A*... and I'm taking it for a level and want to do medicine :frown:

Same I'm taking it for A Level but I'm having second thoughts after this. I made an effort to revise hard as well since next week physics and chemistry is jammed packed with all my English exams :s-smilie: my ISA was 1 off an A :frown: So you're much closer to the A* than me!!
Original post by AparnaX
Yeah same. When I came out, I was really happy because I felt like 1. bulk of biology was over 2. That although the test was hard, I'd revised well so I got more of the questions than I thought.
But I felt happy because I was quite certain the test was fairly hard so the grade boundaries wouldn't be too high, but I came on here and everyone thinks the grade boundaries will be like 48!
And I only got 41/50 for the ISA which apparently is a low A so I don't know if I'll get an A*... and I'm taking it for a level and want to do medicine :frown:

Well I got 41 last year and it was an A* in my ISA and this year I got 43 and my science teacher thinks it will be about 95 ums but you can't tell really so now all you can do is hope for the best lol...anyway, I think it will be around 45 for an A* so unless you've really screwed up you should hopefully be going for an A*
Reply 123

I got 40/50 and am in the same position as you... although I am on the waiting list for the local grammar school as well so need to make sure that my grades are as high as possible! I got told though that 40 would be a low a* so hopefully we'll be safe :smile:
So guys, unofficial mark scheme anyone..?
Reply 125
Original post by candyfloss.head
Same I'm taking it for A Level but I'm having second thoughts after this. I made an effort to revise hard as well since next week physics and chemistry is jammed packed with all my English exams :s-smilie: my ISA was 1 off an A :frown: So you're much closer to the A* than me!!

What was your mark? The grade boundaries for the ISAs haven't been determined yet so you never know :smile:
I know same I have like 8 exams next week! I really need to work on english literature because I'm not very good at writing essays in exam conditions. But the thing is I literally haven't revised for chemistry additional or further before this (except water, I revised that :P) and physics I don't really know what I've done.
I hope you get your A* :smile: I'm sure the rest of the country didn't find it as easy as student room people did (I hope!)
Reply 126
I got 40/50 and am in the same position as you... although I am on the waiting list for the local grammar school as well so need to make sure that my grades are as high as possible! I got told though that 40 would be a low a* so hopefully we'll be safe :smile:

Oh that's good! My school were a bit confusing. They said I was on an A/A* boundary first but then told me it would be like 45 to get an A*. But I hope their first guess was right. Hope you get into your grammar school :smile:
Reply 127
Original post by Frank the Tankk
Well I got 41 last year and it was an A* in my ISA and this year I got 43 and my science teacher thinks it will be about 95 ums but you can't tell really so now all you can do is hope for the best lol...anyway, I think it will be around 45 for an A* so unless you've really screwed up you should hopefully be going for an A*

Ohh thank god! Well done on your ISA scores :smile:
Reply 128
does anyone have an idea of the grade boundaries? cheers
how did everyone do in the isa?

just noticed that there is already talk on this, my bad.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 130
Did the B2 exam today, I dunno but for me it was casual - there was nothing that I thought twice about. All of it was straight forward. I picked up great marks at the start and by the end I wasn't very sure about the last question.

About why species A and B can't sexually reproduce. I put down that species A had 23 chromosomes and species B had 46 chromosomes and some other add-ons along those lines.

What did you guys put?
Reply 131
Favourite question?

Definitely question 1 it was so easy!

Hardest question?
Question 6 onwards, I really struggled with them honestly

How do you think you did?

Hopefully a high C or a B...
Reply 132
What enzymes did you guys mention for the 6 marker?
Reply 133
That counting the squares one was weird, I put 8, and then they asked how so I wrote some stupid response saying "I worked out the percentage covered and added them up," when all I did was count and match parts up. O_o
Reply 134
Original post by sammann123
you did it right!
Question wanted you to demonstrate knowledge of different enzymes in the process of digestion, I reckon ideal answer would:
Show knowledge of lipase protease and amylase enzymes, what they work on, what they produce, where they are produced and where they work.
The question also asked about chemicals that aid digestion, so you would of had to added about hydrochloric acid providing optimum pH for stomach enzyme (Pepsin) and Bile emulsifying fat and providing optimum pH in intestine.

I feel all of the above is good for six marks

i thought it was only about the digestion of fats or did i read it wrong?
Reply 135
LOOOL - what they expected you to say for the square one was easy. Personally I put down 8, but what I reckon they wanted you to say for the next question about explaining is that you should have said that you only defined a whole square "covered with clover" if the population of clover took up more than 1/2 (50%) of the square. That's is what I picked up from the transect tutorial that we did in class.
Original post by ibbi1824
i thought it was only about the digestion of fats or did i read it wrong?

Same...I wrote about the enzymes involved in the digestion of fat, their products and about bile and stuff
Reply 137
Original post by Frank the Tankk
Same...I wrote about the enzymes involved in the digestion of fat, their products and about bile and stuff

was that wrong? i swear it underlined it was like describe how fats get absorbed into the body?
Original post by AparnaX
What was your mark? The grade boundaries for the ISAs haven't been determined yet so you never know :smile:
I know same I have like 8 exams next week! I really need to work on english literature because I'm not very good at writing essays in exam conditions. But the thing is I literally haven't revised for chemistry additional or further before this (except water, I revised that :P) and physics I don't really know what I've done.
I hope you get your A* :smile: I'm sure the rest of the country didn't find it as easy as student room people did (I hope!)

I think mine was a 38 or 39! I hope soo!
Are you on edexcel english? There is just soo much to do and it's all packed into a week!! Physics I needed to go through again :frown:
Reply 139
It was just about fats as my biology teacher said as long as you mentioned lipase and then fats turn to fatty acid and glycerol you got 3 marks but had to mention about bile for full 6.

Quick Reply

Latest